BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-22-2012, 07:16 AM   #1
Dr_zito
Argentina
Rep
Drives: 1M

Question Presentation-question

Good morning. I have been reading the forum for about a year.
I am a new membrr of the BMW family, black 1M.
Always driven Honda, for at least 15 years, last one was an Si 4 door sedan, so you must imagine how I feel driving such an incredible car...what a change! I have a big smile sown to my face as I sit in it.

Do any of you know a driving school in or near San Francisco for M cars? I want to learn to drive this beast, or a similar rear wheel drive car.
Rear wheel drive+ 340hp can be dangerous and I want to be well trained!

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 07:35 AM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I think you will need to go to SC....

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...vents/PDS.aspx

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 08:29 AM   #3
lcrain
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I think you will need to go to SC....

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...vents/PDS.aspx

While I have heard nothing but good things about BMW driving schools, I personally would have a very hard time swallowing the premium they charge. You could attend 3 two-day driving schools for the price of their 1-day M school. I am sure there are some reputable high performance driving schools in the San Francisco area.

I used The Drivers Edge. Based out of Texas and use three more popular tracks around here to hold their drivers schools. I would rate the experience as a 10 out of 10. Cost about $300 for a two day event, which is competitive. Instructor for the whole weekend, and classroom time. I plan to attend a few more along with other HPDEs.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 08:36 AM   #4
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Boudurant is in Arizona - its the best one in your area of the country that I can think of.

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 09:20 AM   #5
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

You're in the bay area with your car at the moment? Start by signing up for an autocross- there is one this weekend, south by a bit oven an hour at the marina airport:
http://www.bmwautocross.com/

Speeds are not too high (70 mph is only occasionally seen) but it feels faster. There are good instructors available if you ask, and IMHO there is no better environment to learn to control your car on and over the limit.
      08-22-2012, 11:08 AM   #6
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

+1.

And your regional BMW CCA Chapter (Golden Gate, I believe) also has high performance driver education schools at nearby road race courses that are a terrific value.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 11:28 AM   #7
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
While not necessarily for ///M cars, keep track of what goes on at Infineon Raceway, as it is a stone's throw away from SF. There are plenty of schools there and various events, I myself did a 2-day RS 4/R8 Performance Driving School back in 2008. Incidentally, there was a BMW Alpina event the second day and we drove alongside Z8 Alpinas (and B7s) and Alpina's owner (Andy Bovensiepen - the son of Burkard, founder of Alpina) very own track prepped E30 M3, which slaughtered even GT3 Porsches believe it or not (Andy is a pro). Still have pics somewhere of that beast.

There is also a race school there that works year round, and you can start off on lower classes of cars before moving to open wheel (I believe they have Miatas, so that's a good way to start exploring RWD capabilities on a much less powerful, albeit lighter car).

Kuddos to you for wanting to spend your first "mod" dollars on improving yourself!
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0