BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-17-2011, 12:26 PM   #23
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by romak47 View Post
...Also, I just changed my trans fluid recently like 4k km ago, and i am thinking of doing redline as well. I heard it will make shifting smoother as well.
Dackel... do me a favor and try it out for me first
lol..

I am having trouble finding a online dealer who will ship the RedLine D4-ATF to my APO. Does anyone know of a good source? Then I would be happy to test it for you Romak47

Btw... with my Perf SKK, it is most notchy in the 1st/2nd gear slots. Everything else is really sweet. I am not complaining either about the SSK. I would still do it again in a heartbeat! Its a sweet mod. Maybe your shop did not use enough lube in the shifter rod/ball & socket? You can use some CV joint (M02)grease in there.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 07:38 PM   #24
KeyboardRacer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i M-Sport

Garage List
2016 BMW 228i  [0.00]
So I just got home from the shop after a CDV delete. I got to feel it out a lot because it's an hour away. The main improvement that I felt was that I didn't need to baby the clutch as much as I used to. I could kinda just shift without thinking and everything just goes nice and smooth. Also, I'm wondering if the clutch should feel lighter? The first thing I noticed when I got in the car was that the clutch is much softer with a little bit of play..I'm hoping my shop didn't mess it up or anything
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 11:40 PM   #25
dorkdog
Big Mouth No Filter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Montego Blue 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Now... for you guys who have done the CDV... you NEED the BMW Performance SSK. 55mm throws instead of 800mm throws! This will really make yourself wonder why BMW did not make the car with it!

As for the notchness... yea... mine is a little notchy still in 1st and 2nd gears. Even though I just changed my trans fluid... I am thinking about switching to Red Line's D4-AFT... bc it is known to make the trans shoft lighter/smoother. Atleast that is what I felt with my old e36 when I switched to it.

Dackel
+1 on the SSK... I had mine done yesterday and it's night and day! The shifting is a lot snick-snickier than it was before, and it's just more fun to drive.

Seems like a 30-40% reduction in throw. I did not swap out the knob and boot; I ordered only the 'hard' parts. Dackel thanks for your advice on the SSK; it's advice worth taking, OP.
      09-30-2012, 05:28 PM   #26
ThreeLO
Rep
Drives: 128i 6-M/T

this is good to know i hate CDVs on clutches as they increase the clutch wear substantially
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 10:08 PM   #27
SquashAZ
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Sedona Red 135i

Has any one has any issues post removal? A local BMW specialty shop in AZ claims that if you remove the CDV it is possible that if driven incorrectly the self adjusting clutch will self adjust it self to death. I do not see how this could happen and feel like it might be a old wise tail.

I asked my BMW dealer ship and they had no comment officially but could not image if would cause any damage if removed (as a data point).

Any one have any comments or thoughts on this?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 02:20 PM   #28
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
Quote:

I am having trouble finding a online dealer who will ship the RedLine D4-ATF to my APO. Does anyone know of a good source? Then I would be happy to test it for you Romak47

Btw... with my Perf SKK, it is most notchy in the 1st/2nd gear slots. Everything else is really sweet. I am not complaining either about the SSK. I would still do it again in a heartbeat! Its a sweet mod. Maybe your shop did not use enough lube in the shifter rod/ball & socket? You can use some CV joint (M02)grease in there.

Dackel
Bavarian Auto Sport confirmed.

For the record I exclusively use redline MTL only. Doesn't ATF have anti foaming agents that might not play well with synchros in manual transmissions?

EDIT: "D4 ATF also provides a GL-4 level of gear protection, making it a superior product for transmissions and transaxles."
I'll be damned!
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=51&pcid=9

Last edited by smellthebeans; 11-03-2012 at 02:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #29
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Germany
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #739/740

Garage List
Interesting reading on Redline ATF:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=765175
      11-04-2012, 01:47 AM   #30
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellthebeans View Post
Bavarian Auto Sport confirmed.

For the record I exclusively use redline MTL only. Doesn't ATF have anti foaming agents that might not play well with synchros in manual transmissions?

EDIT: "D4 ATF also provides a GL-4 level of gear protection, making it a superior product for transmissions and transaxles."
I'll be damned!
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=51&pcid=9
I have used Redline's D4 for many years in my Manual BMW trans. Redline's ATF works just fine in them. I just posted my thoughts in Rikx1M 's link...

I would highly recommend Redline's gear oils. D4 or D6 in our manual trans and MTL or their gear oil in our diff's. I like thier fluids bc they are fully synthetic and they really make a difference you can feel in shifting!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 05:25 AM   #31
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikx1M View Post
Interesting reading on Redline ATF:

maybe we should inject this stuff into our aging joints?
      11-04-2012, 11:25 AM   #32
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquashAZ View Post
Has any one has any issues post removal? A local BMW specialty shop in AZ claims that if you remove the CDV it is possible that if driven incorrectly the self adjusting clutch will self adjust it self to death. I do not see how this could happen and feel like it might be a old wise tail.

I asked my BMW dealer ship and they had no comment officially but could not image if would cause any damage if removed (as a data point).

Any one have any comments or thoughts on this?

What is a self adjusting clutch? That sounds like a feature I'd expect on an SMG or DCT...
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 11:28 AM   #33
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
What is a self adjusting clutch? That sounds like a feature I'd expect on an SMG or DCT...
No such animal! That is some shop talking out of their arse(!) bc they don't want to do a CDV delete.

In the old(en) days... cars had a clutch cable. Then some cars had a self adjusting clutch cable. VW's were famous for these in the 80's and 90's. BUT I have never heard of a self adjusting clutch with a hydraulic clutch lines.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 10:29 PM   #34
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:

Dackel
i've had it in for 2000km

it gets smoother every day, not even kidding, it's almost perfect with no notch now

io bought mine from amazon.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 06:50 PM   #35
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
No such animal! That is some shop talking out of their arse(!) bc they don't want to do a CDV delete.

In the old(en) days... cars had a clutch cable. Then some cars had a self adjusting clutch cable. VW's were famous for these in the 80's and 90's. BUT I have never heard of a self adjusting clutch with a hydraulic clutch lines.

Dackel
Thanks! I've never heard of them mentioned before on this forum in 2-3 years.
Appreciate 0