E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > To iDrive or not?

04-30-2005, 01:50 AM   #1
agarbati
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90, Saph Blk 330i

To iDrive or not?

I am contemplating on foregoing on the Premium package and instead going with the iDrive+Nav. My rationale is that I really want the complete Bluetooth, hence the BMW Assist, functionality, and I really like the dual humped dash. Besides I personally think almost every mid-size to luxury car will have Nav in 5 yrs.

On the other hand I don't care much for the things in the Premium package, like the power folding mirrors, compass, and the leather. I'll probably miss the driver memory but I need some of you guys' input on the iDrive, Nav, it's voice command handling, and in general usability. Should I just go with the Premium and fuggedaboutit or should I go with the Nav?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2005, 02:16 AM   #2
Ewrek
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Just get it....you'll regret getting it in the future if you don't.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2005, 02:45 AM   #3
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

I have it in my current 1 series. It's nice but sometimes unlogical.

I don't think it's worth the prize really imho.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2005, 08:42 AM   #4
spikes111
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

agarbarti, are you a tech/gadget kind of guy? If so, then maybe the value of the iDrive in the long run will be worth more to you than the premium package (which has many things you don't really care for anyway). I've heard good things about the iDrive generally, plus it's just pretty darn cool to have the big nav screen and makes the dashboard look better. Plus I personally can't do without navigation. My friend has an e46 without seat memory and has never complained about it since only he drives the car basically.
      05-01-2005, 01:37 AM   #5
booyah
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335XI

i-Drive baby!!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2005, 11:03 AM   #6
BMWAustin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Not worth $2k.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2005, 11:57 AM   #7
xspeedy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

What do you mean by "complete bluetooth"? You get BT with the premium package since you get Assist. What else is there?

Frankly, getting the nav for the second hump is not a very good reason to spend that kind of money. Only get nav because you really need it and you'll utilize it. If you spend 90% of your miles driving to work or other places that you know how to get to, is it really worth the cash?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2005, 12:53 PM   #8
CaptJack
Mach 1 in a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
i-drive issue

Please, this is my opinion ONLY! Many will disagree with me about this so only take it as an opinion.

I have an '04 745i and personally I think BMW's nav system STINKS! It's probably the worst part of the whole i-drive system. I was an airline pilot for a number of years and the last aircraft I flew was the Boeing 757, a "Glass ****pit" aircraft. I now have my own aviation related graphics business. A few years back I was part of a NASA group working on the design and interface of "glass ****pit" systems for future generation aircraft. To make a very long story short the end result of that study was very specific in what works and what doesn't. What BMW has designed doesn't work! They are trying too hard to accomplish too much with a single knob.

If BMW's with i-drive were airplanes there would be dead people all over the place. They are anything but intuitive; they are EXTREMELY distracting; the nav abilities are almost useless i.e to review a selected route over a long distance; they name all the parks and golf courses but fail to properly and effectively ID many cities towns and streets. The reason: Harmon Kardon designed the thing. They are audio people! Dahh! It's like asking a rocket scientist to perform brain surgury. Wrong people for the job. They should have had Garmin or one of the other sat nav firms design it.

Everything you want to do with i-drive (exageration..most things) requires you to dig down into this multi-layered menu system. Far too time consming and way too distracting.

If you want to see a decent glass display/nav system check out the one used in Acura and Honda vehicles.

NASA's findings: A row of basic (first level menu) buttons along the sides of a "TOUCH SCREEN" display. I could go into more detail but the basic point is their system is very badly designed. The concept is right on but the exicusion missed by a mile. The best and SAFEST systems out there all utilize touch screen displays. Sooner or later they'll figure it out and fix it but until then I would sooner buy one of dash top units put out by Garmin or Magellin. (Trust me, there will be many lawsuits showing up in the near future involving the distraction of using i-drive)

Word from the top (AKA BMW high level execs.): They know there's a problem but Germans don't like touch screen displays. Remember how long it took to get cup holders into BMWs? The reason was that Germans didn't want them. It'll get better but it will take time. Right now I wouldn't pop for I-Drive/Nav.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2005, 12:52 AM   #9
segobi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw e90 330i

CaptJack: Did you have your iDrive updated during the time ? The 7 series was the first to get iDrive and since then it was updated many times. Software Version 16.2 is the latest one and 17 will follow soon.
Btw. If you want navis with more buttons, buy an audi or MB.

Touchscreens in cars would be fine but they get covered over and over with fat from your fingers
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2005, 01:41 AM   #10
bozo5521
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '04/E53/X5/3.0/PP

I was reading an article in the UK's BMW magazine and it talked about useful and "sellable" options in BMW's...They started of course with the 1 series, and ended with the SUV's...Basically, they said getting i-Drive in a 3 series was like putting 15" wheels on an X5..."HUH?"..They took a poll of used BMW buyers, and asked how many of them would look for i-Drive in a used BMW..About 30% of them said they would like it, and about 90% of those people were looking in the 7-series market..It really is a waste of money..And thats BEFORE I read CaptJack's input!

I have never used it, but the main thing I have heard was that it took WAYYY too much effort to be an effective tool...But hey, the power side views are an option EVEN in the Premium Pkg...But I think it will put more $$$ back in your pocket when that time comes....
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2005, 06:19 AM   #11
CaptJack
Mach 1 in a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by segobi
CaptJack: Did you have your iDrive updated during the time ? The 7 series was the first to get iDrive and since then it was updated many times. Software Version 16.2 is the latest one and 17 will follow soon.
Btw. If you want navis with more buttons, buy an audi or MB.

Touchscreens in cars would be fine but they get covered over and over with fat from your fingers
Yes, it's been updated. The problem is more than the interface. It's the basic concept of using a single controller to get to all that information. I havn't tried the MB or Audi system so I can't comment.

The fat on the fingers problem: No sweat, pretend your a quarterback and lick your fingers more often.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2005, 05:22 AM   #12
collinp
Private First Class
Rep

I had heard for years that the iDrive was the laughing stock of car interfaces. So when I began my research on the new 3 I was quite certain that I would not be getting iDrive. After playing with iDrive for a while at the dealer, my opinion has changed a bit. The bottom line is that it is not as bad as technophobic reviewers would have you believe. The interface is a lot like an iPod or Tivo though definitely less refined. It can be a bit confusing to know when to twist or push, though I'm certain it becomes second nature after a short while. The voice command is terrible. The technology is just not there yet. It reminds me of the handwriting recognition on the first gen Apple Newton. The other major disappointment was that besides the navigation system, there aren't that many features to control with the iDrive. The climate menu had literally two options (vents and sensitivity). The entertainment menu didn't seem to improve much over the traditional car stereo head unit. I didn't get to do much with the communications menu as I didn't pair my phone with the dealers car. Reportedly my phone, the Treo 650, doesn't actually work with BMWs bluetooth setup. The most exciting non-nav menu in my opinion was the information menu. It allowed you to see fluid levels and upcoming service and whatnot. It was kinda cool though I would have liked even more info.

Overall, I'm now torn about the iDrive. I still have a number of reservations. Chiiefly its a geeky gadget that will likely be terribly out of date long before I get rid of this car. Though you give up integration perhaps a portable Nav that you toss out and upgrade every year or so is a better way to go. I am also not a fan of the double hump dash and other dash changes like the useless iDrive DVD slot in the center console. Finally my pet peeve with all nav systems is the need to agree to a legal disclaimer everytime you turn the car on. Good god I own the thing. After 5 years I will have seen this same disclaimer literally thousands of times. Can't I just sign some "Yes, I won't sue you when I get in an accident while using iDrive" document and file it with BMW.

- Collin
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2005, 05:35 AM   #13
marcus330i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6spd

You know I got navigation in my last car (E60) and I'll never want another car without it....it has been a real blessing in my line of work (real estate). I like that they can upgrade the software and enhance/improve the functionality and the "fun factor". Like, I got bird's eye view upgraded at no charge along with a version update.

Wouldn't it be cool if your service tech gave you an upgrade say, in a year, and then told you: "Because you have the BMW assist (or the sat. radio antenna wiring) we upgraded you to receive emails on your I-drive screen" I mean...that little screen might do an awful lot of trick things in the future. But I like toys and I-drive is a fun one.

THAT SAID...I saw a commercial for Nextel (cellular) and they have a phone that gives you voice navigation instructions.....yeah...a cell phone with a navigation system in it. THAT'S COOL! I don't know how well it performs but if that technology catches on it could make the $2000 car nav system extinct.

Realtor Mobile: 6spd / Sport / Prem / Navi / ED 3-30-06
73 3.0s/84 528e/90 525i/97 M3 4dr/99 M3 Conv/2001 330i/2004 545i ED/2006 330i ED June 05
You're in control...is there anywhere you want to go ? -------------------------
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2005, 05:55 AM   #14
collinp
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus330i
You know I got navigation in my last car (E60) and I'll never want another car without it....it has been a real blessing in my line of work (real estate). I like that they can upgrade the software and enhance/improve the functionality and the "fun factor". Like, I got bird's eye view upgraded at no charge along with a version update.

Wouldn't it be cool if your service tech gave you an upgrade say, in a year, and then told you: "Because you have the BMW assist (or the sat. radio antenna wiring) we upgraded you to receive emails on your I-drive screen" I mean...that little screen might do an awful lot of trick things in the future. But I like toys and I-drive is a fun one.

THAT SAID...I saw a commercial for Nextel (cellular) and they have a phone that gives you voice navigation instructions.....yeah...a cell phone with a navigation system in it. THAT'S COOL! I don't know how well it performs but if that technology catches on it could make the $2000 car nav system extinct.
Hmm. That's true. I am a gadget guy and software upgrades for my car could be fun. Though I still wonder how long it takes before new iDrive hardware is introduced and the cool upgrades are only for that system. I'm sure the E46 nav guys aren't getting many more cool upgrades. I have a feeling that in a few years navigation is going to rapidly evolve by leaps and bounds as it becomes as ubiquitous as the car stereo.

That Nextel phone is sort of cool, but the service was shockingly expensive when I checked it out. It does hold promise for the future though.

- Collin
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2005, 04:00 PM   #15
Athos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6-spd

I don't think iDrive or navigation are worth it. I like gadgets but $2000 can buy a lot outside the car. The convenience (?) of not looking at a map on my computer ahead of time, or a paper map in the car, just isn't that compelling to me. Also, I've never had a big issue manipulating standard ventilation and stereo controls so.... The main thing I want to get hands free are separate handheld devices (e.g. cell phone, ipod) where safety is an issue. Unfortunately, BMW doesn't support my phone's bluetooth format. I say save the money and buy an HDTV or something else that's worth $2K.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2005, 11:02 PM   #16
CC 330i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330i SG/Blk/Alum

I am a technogeek for a living, and I don't want Idrive or Navigation. I think that bluetooth would be nice, but I can live without it. I agree that Idrive will be outdated in a few years. I definitely agree there are those that can benefit from navigation (those in sales and real estate for example) and by all means, I would not blame them for getting it, but the reason I chose BMW over Audi was driving dynamics, not interior options. Audi interiors are much better than BMW in my opinion, although their navigation has been pretty poor (small screen). The BMW interior is very spartan in comparison to many other brands, but that is just fine with me.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2005, 02:32 AM   #17
voltron1011
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, FJR-1300

I am getting I-drive strictly for the NAV.... I was going to buy a stand-alone system like Garmin, but there are too many compromises with it. I have done a lot of research on portable Nav systems and most of them are pretty flaky. The main problem is that there is no external antenna for them to receive signals. Most of the reviews of portable Nav systems all complained about driving in cities and not getting signals (triangulation) because the unit is inside the car under the window. At least with an integrated system like the E90, you are getting a real external GPS antenna (shark-fin). Also, there is the fit-and-finish delima. I HATE :mad: having stupid cables running all over the car, as well as suction cup mounts. Plus, if you want a decent portable Nav system it will be quite heavy and cumbersum. So, most people will end up keeping this BRICK on their dashboards because they are too lazy to take it down everytime they park the car. Then it becomes nice eye-candy for thieves. Also, many standalone Nav systems have poor screen quality, brightness, size, and contrast. The screens become invisible with the slightest glare (hence the E90's hood).

Since I live in Germany, I NEED a Nav system. This country is a laberynth of roads and autobahns that will get you lost quicker than sh**. And for me it is worth the money for I-drive to get a nice integrated, user-friendly system with no compromises, than it is to get an aftermarket Nav with questionable performance.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2005, 03:56 AM   #18
segobi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw e90 330i

yes, thats right voltron. the pocket pcs aren't real good navigation system. they do work - but that's all. I compared different software version and different companies but after all the built in audi rns-e plus i have in my s3 is still the best. the built in navis use more data to calculate your current position... the pocket pcs only have the gps data which means => slow updates, no connection under bridges etc, "turn right/left" information sometimes to late when you are on the highway etc.
I wouldn't want one again and im happy to get iDrive! You can check your service etc. and everything and all updates are free within the varranty... And audi only offers MMI in their A6 ... so that's not comparable. Also im hearing a lot of people say that they don't have a problem with the 1 button navigation - someone just mentioned once that you sometimes leave menus differently and that this is not unified.. but I think you'll get the hang of it very fast...
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2005, 12:50 PM   #19
mac5217
Rep
Drives: 2002 330ci

I think you need PREMIUM PACKAGE to get I-drive

I think you need the PREMIUM PACKAGE in order to get I-drive.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2005, 01:13 PM   #20
voltron1011
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, FJR-1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac5217
I think you need the PREMIUM PACKAGE in order to get I-drive.
No, I-drive/Nav is it's own option....
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2005, 01:26 PM   #21
JBOO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 535d

I think it's well worth the $2K. I love it on my E60 and wouldn't do without it in any BMW that offers it.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2005, 01:39 PM   #22
matrix
Private
Rep

From what I've read on this forum and others, it seems like 90% of the folks who have idrive/navi equipped vehicles are very satisfied with it. Maybe the people who bashes Idrive/Navi are the ones who A) don't have it, B) don't want it, or C) can't afford it.
Appreciate 0