BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-21-2016, 10:46 PM   #67
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
1999 Lexus LS400  [0.00]
1985 BMW 325e  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by consider it done View Post
The pad does not have enough room, between the top of the engine and pad , to drop and pull the seven tabs from the hood. The rivets will melt , pad will droop in the middle , and the 7 outer tabs will remain "hooked" in place. The pad will not "fall".
Irrelevant. The pad merely has to detach from the hood itself to come into contact with the engine to increase oxygen deprivation from the fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
Don't con everyone in this thread by purporting to post evidence supporting what you're saying when the actual evidence is missing from your citation.

Also, a little ego death, please? Why so angry?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprgnat View Post
Tock,

I'm not trying to belittle you at all. I'm saying you're wrong.
Both of you are disagreeing with me about a mechanism employed by numerous automakers featured in the study referenced above that has been demonstrated to function exactly as I described previously.

Aside from conjecture, speculation and excuses, neither of you have contributed a single item that refutes any of the explanations and information I have offered and cited. Until you can produce something, this discussion is over.

2012 BMW 135i Space Grey Metallic M-Sport DCT Dinan S2
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 11:10 PM   #68
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
conjecture, speculation and excuses
The burden of proof is on you since you introduced this notion that the blanket is a fire suppression mechanism. The only proof you supply is a PDF where some researchers say they don't know how the blanket would perform. There is NO DATA. You made the claim, now show us the data.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 12:19 AM   #69
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
1999 Lexus LS400  [0.00]
1985 BMW 325e  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
The burden of proof is on you since you introduced this notion that the blanket is a fire suppression mechanism. The only proof you supply is a PDF where some researchers say they don't know how the blanket would perform. There is NO DATA. You made the claim, now show us the data.
Who cares how it performs? The fact is the fasteners detach and the insulation drops onto the engine, which will of course have an effect on the fire that is raging below. That's it.

2012 BMW 135i Space Grey Metallic M-Sport DCT Dinan S2
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 02:15 AM   #70
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
Who cares how it performs? The fact is the fasteners detach and the insulation drops onto the engine, which will of course have an effect on the fire that is raging below. That's it.
Citation, please. I don't think it will have a meaningful effect. If what you say is true you can find some empirics to back it up.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 08:48 AM   #71
consider it done
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

The plastic rivets will melt, but the fastening hooks around the perimeter will not release. This on a undamaged hood. Crumpled from front or side impact , how would the sound damping pad fall ? Your vocabulary is distinguished but mechanical aptitude is lacking. Admit defeat.
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2016, 10:41 AM   #72
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavSpook42 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw1racer View Post
ECS Tuning has it for $79.06: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...n/51489141036/

Never mind: They want $50 to ship it... That's nuts.

FCP Euro has it for $92.99... And free shipping: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...od-51489141036
Any comments about either FCP Euro or eEuroparts. The price is the same with the exception of FCP having free shipping. Both located in CT.
I've purchased stuff from FCP before... No problems.

EDIT: And this is the expanding rivet (5 required) for mounting, according to RealOEM (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...57#51489141036): https://www.fcpeuro.com/products?keywords=51481915964

Last edited by bmw1racer; 04-22-2016 at 10:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 02:34 PM   #73
KNS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 128i and Porsche

If you're going to order a hood pad it's best if you simply order it from your local dealer. It's going to be pricier but it will get damaged if you have it shipped to you from an internet source.
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2016, 03:01 PM   #74
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by consider it done View Post
Your vocabulary is distinguished but mechanical aptitude is lacking.

I'm still waiting for that citation.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 04:07 PM   #75
Olgeezer1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6MT Sport Pkg. 18"

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNS View Post
It is for both sound insulation and heat retention. Automakers have also been trying to quiet down the noises from engines with plastic covers (they're also to tidy up a cluttered engine bay). On our daughter's Mazda, for example, the plastic cover has insulation material underneath it. On my wife's Lincoln, the engine cover, which looks like black plastic, is actually heavy, dense foam. The hood sound pad helps here as well.

Things like lifters and injectors can be noisy and automakers use many techniques to suppress the various noises.

BMW did away with the hood insulation on some models merely as a cost saving feature (like doing away with the hidden trunk key hole on later 1s). Remember at the time the Euro/dollar exchange wasn't helping things on already pricey BMWs.

On it's latest and future models BMW wants the engine to stay warm for as long as possible so that on subsequent starts the engine is still up to temperature (cuts down on start-up emissions). Expect the hood pad to be in place on all BMW vehicles. Yes, hood pads have been around forever but they have a more important role than in the past.
Well, I can see the heat retention effect and for that reason I'll pass. I'm seeing a water temp. of 210-220 F. now and would rather see less not more.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 05:02 PM   #76
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olgeezer1 View Post
Well, I can see the heat retention effect and for that reason I'll pass. I'm seeing a water temp. of 210-220 F. now and would rather see less not more.
You won't see more water temp while driving, you will see the same water temps take longer to fall after you turn off the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 09:59 PM   #77
135ivert
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 135i,E70 X5M,E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNS View Post
If you're going to order a hood pad it's best if you simply order it from your local dealer. It's going to be pricier but it will get damaged if you have it shipped to you from an internet source.
Can you expand on this? I thought it was just a felt pad. I've bought odd-size things from Tischer and they came in proper-sized boxes. If it's damaged then either they can replace it at their cost or my Amex purchase protection will get exercised.

Reason: I called my local stealership today and they said "I'm sorry, we don't stock that part." No offer of "we can have that in x days" or "x dealership has it in stock." So F* them.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 07:08 AM   #78
Stock4Evr
RetNavSpook
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i - 2016 320i

I just received my hood pad from FCPEURO and it was in perfect condition.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 08:41 AM   #79
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavSpook42 View Post
I just received my hood pad from FCPEURO and it was in perfect condition.
Great!

Now I really need to pry open my wallet and get one for myself.

EDIT: I pulled the trigger... Let's see how long it takes to get here.

Last edited by bmw1racer; 05-03-2016 at 09:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 05:39 PM   #80
KNS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 128i and Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135ivert View Post
Can you expand on this? I thought it was just a felt pad. I've bought odd-size things from Tischer and they came in proper-sized boxes. If it's damaged then either they can replace it at their cost or my Amex purchase protection will get exercised.

Reason: I called my local stealership today and they said "I'm sorry, we don't stock that part." No offer of "we can have that in x days" or "x dealership has it in stock." So F* them.
I ordered it from Tischer. They do the best they can packaging it up but it is large, flat and sort of stiff but fragile at the same time. It doesn't take much for some lazy shipper to accidently bend the box and then you'll have creases in your hood pad (if that bothers you...).

The guys from Tischer did box it up well but they warn that there is a possibility of it being damaged en route. And mine was when it arrived. It's not like ordering ball joints.

To eliminate that risk you might want to order it from some place local so you can inspect it before you take it home. It costs more but it is your decision in the end.
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2016, 05:34 PM   #81
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw1racer View Post
Great!

Now I really need to pry open my wallet and get one for myself.

EDIT: I pulled the trigger... Let's see how long it takes to get here.
It finally showed up... And they sent the wrong one... Shit.

Someone in their warehouse put the correct tag on the wrong part. Now I've gotta ship the goddamn thing back.
      08-07-2016, 05:22 PM   #82
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Any other reviews of how this thing performs? I wouldn't mind quieting down the ticking lifters somewhat - I mean, I think all N52's tick, but it's definitely louder with headers installed.

I guess it would be nice not to have the outside of the hood get so hot to the touch, and I think it will just dress up the engine bay a little, for whatever that is worth. Also, it sort of bothers me to know that this part was left of my car just to cut costs, but that it's out there and available.

So, you can see I'm pretty much convinced to buy it already...just wondering what those of you that have already done it think?
      08-07-2016, 05:57 PM   #83
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Any other reviews of how this thing performs? I wouldn't mind quieting down the ticking lifters somewhat - I mean, I think all N52's tick, but it's definitely louder with headers installed.

I guess it would be nice not to have the outside of the hood get so hot to the touch, and I think it will just dress up the engine bay a little, for whatever that is worth. Also, it sort of bothers me to know that this part was left of my car just to cut costs, but that it's out there and available.

So, you can see I'm pretty much convinced to buy it already...just wondering what those of you that have already done it think?
Funny you should ask. I just removed my underhood insulation today after about a month and a half of use. I definitely did what it was supposed to do, it quieted things down, but with a few down sides:
1. Though quieter, the whole aural experience is less visceral as would be expected though the engine bay looked more "finished".
2. With my 3.64 diff there was a pronounced harmonic "tone" (I've no idea what else to call it. Wasn't a buzz or anything else.) at approximately 76 MPH under light load which is now far less perceptible.
3. I have a custom painted engine cover that for 2 1/2 years was just fine, but in the month and a half since I installed the underhood insulation the paint on my engine cover has started to crack. Coincidence? Maybe, or perhaps underhood temperatures are that much higher.
4 I have the underhood insulation and clips (51489141036, 51481915964), which I received via DHL on 20 June 2016, for sale. Make me an offer.

As an aside, without the insulation the hood never got so hot that I couldn't touch it. I'm guessing 160°F (71°C) max and I'm now not convinced it was left off merely for cost.

YMMV
Bullitt90.50
      08-07-2016, 09:34 PM   #84
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprgnat View Post
Funny you should ask. I just removed my underhood insulation today after about a month and a half of use. I definitely did what it was supposed to do, it quieted things down, but with a few down sides:
1. Though quieter, the whole aural experience is less visceral as would be expected though the engine bay looked more "finished".
2. With my 3.64 diff there was a pronounced harmonic "tone" (I've no idea what else to call it. Wasn't a buzz or anything else.) at approximately 76 MPH under light load which is now far less perceptible.
3. I have a custom painted engine cover that for 2 1/2 years was just fine, but in the month and a half since I installed the underhood insulation the paint on my engine cover has started to crack. Coincidence? Maybe, or perhaps underhood temperatures are that much higher.
4 I have the underhood insulation and clips (51489141036, 51481915964), which I received via DHL on 20 June 2016, for sale. Make me an offer.

As an aside, without the insulation the hood never got so hot that I couldn't touch it. I'm guessing 160°F (71°C) max and I'm now not convinced it was left off merely for cost.

YMMV
Thanks for the feedback! I actually already ordered a kit from FCP Euro - for $80 or so, it's not really worth going used to me. But I appreciate the offer.
      11-01-2016, 02:57 PM   #85
WallyF
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 eDrive40

Garage List
Consensus of those who have added the insulation

I am interested in the sound reduction feature of the hood insulation. So, what is the consensus?

Who likes the reduced noise?

Who does not like the new sound?

Thanks

Wallyf
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 07:19 PM   #86
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyF View Post
I am interested in the sound reduction feature of the hood insulation. So, what is the consensus?

Thanks

Wallyf
I'm still on the fence. It muffles quite a bit of intake noise and the car seems less visceral when getting on it. It's quieter cruising, but I rarely if ever listen to the radio anyway, so I kind of miss the noise. I might just use it on long trips and leave it in the garage for DD.
      11-06-2016, 01:21 PM   #87
snub-nose 28
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SGM 128i Cp 6MT ZSP/ZPP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyF View Post

Thanks

Wallyf
I fitted mine a month ago, as the 128i engine bay looked sort of undressed you might say. As it was originally kitted out, it looked incomplete without this. That's it. Bling.

As to sound: standing at grille at idle mine was silent with it, and silent w/o it. Under any other typical throttle condition, aFe ducts and stage 2 wet filter add enough induction enhancement to make a pad decibel reduction moot.

I sought to add the right sound @ the right time. Likewise, regarding handling, add the right enhancements for a Street car w/o run flats... since BMW got it so wrong...for me.

Recent passenger this week -Audi 2.0T pilot- remarked on the overall menacing cabin-sound...at idle. Does the pad retain then funnel sound aft-ward?. I think so.

Is the pad bling, then? Yes. Is it a weight penalty? No. Is it quiet? Yes. Does it make on-throttle in-cabin louder? Perhaps.

Verdict? It stays.
m3 under|eibach 28mm f-sway|oem 12mm r-sway|3.46...135i 'auto' diff-yes!|avant garde m621 19x8.5 square|mich pss4s|koni fsd|h&r sport|ecs e46 m3 trans mts|fogs delete|tower pin mod -2.20|hpa 1m m3 strut bar|3m tint|afe stg2 cai|akg m3 rsfb|ecs trailing arms|dinan r-stops|bmwp ssk|135i brembo+stoptech slot|braided lines|supersprint rez delete|disa 3s intk|bespoke strg wheel|mudflap4x|milvs+bpc remap|alcantara trim|armrest & r hdrest delete|solid rubber mounts
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 05:08 PM   #88
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Removing the pad will make your car noticeably louder to bystanders, more so if you have an intake / have ditched the stock inlet pipe.
Appreciate 0