BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-23-2013, 07:48 AM   #1
mfarrzhp
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition

Garage List
ABS/Brake Light On

I've read several posts on this, but found several possible causes so I thought I'd make another to see if the more informed can help assess my problem.

What started as a rare occurrence has now become an everyday issue with my 135i:

The ABS/Brake/Traction lights all light up, which is annoying in itself, but also will not allow me to turn off DSC.
Also, it automatically short shifts to second gear at about 2500-3000 rpms in my DCT even if I am in manual mode.
It will turn off and on when I drive, but seems to be on more than it is off. I'm thinking colder weather may affect it, but could be coincidence.

I'm under warranty, but I have a JB4 and downpipe. I'm fairly confident neither contributed to the issue, but has anyone had issues with warranty claims? I could take off the JB4, but is it worth the hassle? Should I just turn it off with the CAN tool?

Any ideas on the source of my problem (steering vs. wheel sensor)?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 03:32 PM   #2
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarrzhp View Post
...I'm under warranty, but... Should I just turn it off with the CAN tool?
Let me jsut answer the thing i am most familiar with.

the ABS light being on is a big deal and must be taken care of immediately. The fact that is will not allow you to turn off the DSC indicates that DSC really isnt working correctly anyway. I wonder if the fact that the vehicle is short shofting is also because it it trying to prevent you from breaking the rear end loose under power. As part of the DSC function the vehicle uses teh ABS system to keep traction under control. (as well as engine retardation). so the vehicle does utilize that function a lot and can be very instrumental in keeping you safe. I am not trying to scare you but i want you to understand the seriousness of this issue.