BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-28-2008, 04:11 AM   #1
molar
Private
Rep
Drives:

HELP!!! My order just got Bumped

Hi All,

I desperately need the wise counsel of this forum.

I emailed my AutoClassic salesman last week with regards to my VIN as my car was scheduled for production in Oct for a Jan 09 delivery. As I had not received a reply, I rang him today and was informed the usual :bs: that there was not enough allocation from the factory and that Nov is already full and Dec would be the earliest build slot IF I AM LUCKY.

BTW Paul, the sales manager, offered a Dec delivery and guaranteed a Jan 09 delivery. On my contract it sates a Jan 09 delivery. Do I have any legal recourse?

What the hell just happened. Was I bumped for a VIP or did he just forget to log my order.

I will ring Paul tomorrow and rattle his cage.

Should I ring BMW Aust?

And is it worth it, considering the bad blood that might be created, mindful of the fact that they are the only BMW stealer / service agent in town.

Thanks and I hope my rant wasn't too incoherent.

I am so angry I just want to

Cancelled my order
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 04:27 AM   #2
SimonB
135 to 335 M Sport to X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30d, optioned up!

Hi molar, I feel for you, really I do. I'm surprised your salesman still existed there, both the ones that I have dealt with since May have left. Wonder why? (seriously, not rhetorical)

Anyway, can't answer the 'legal recourse' question, but I would definately rattle a few cages. A sale's a sale, after all. My 'Classique' magazine that I received a little while ago has a Darrin Brandon as the Dealer Principle. Suggest you ask for a chat to him.

Don't accept it at face value, ask for an explanation, you're entitled to that, IMO.

Simon....
      10-28-2008, 06:25 AM   #3
cargeek
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Old man's comfy car

Molar I suggest you contact the ACCC before your call your dealer. Hopefully they will be able to give you some advice so you know what your rights are. It always helps with your negotiations.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 07:25 AM   #4
taiheung
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper S

Would you have bought the car if December were still the case?
Get them to chuck in free floor mats then touch your toes because you can afford a 135i
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 07:43 AM   #5
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135 Coupe

I'd do one or more of 4 things, depending on how you feel you want to play it...
1. Call Dept of fair trading and find out your rights, and more importantly, their obligations under the "contract" that you both signed when you ordered the car.

Depending on the answer - I'd expect that they are under some obligation to deliver on their contracted commitments. I'd ....

2. Shop the deal interstate, and depending on how you go

3a. Sqweeze them to sweeten the deal so you don't cancel the order
or
3b. Cancel the order and buy interstate

If your contract states jan delivery, I believe you'd have a strong case to recind the agreement based on their breach - but couldn't be positive without reading the agreement

Just my .02 cents
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 05:34 PM   #6
molar
Private
Rep
Drives:

For reference, has anyone else received the same BS about their order being bumped? Especially by AutoClassic.

I placed my order on 24/07/08.

How many are expecting a Dec/Jan delivery and when did you place your order.

This will provide me with real world information to 'negotiate' with.

Thanks for the above replies.

Cancelled my order
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 05:48 PM   #7
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

I'd just like to say, I hope it all works out for you in a good and positive way molar - geez, I'm putting myself in your shoes and would certainly be pulling my hair out if I had a 6 months or longer wait period

I can tolerate 3-5 months but half a year or more is just ridiculous !!! especially after having to lay out so much money...

All the enquiries I've made thus far with BMW, Audi and Mercedes, have told me delivery will be within a maximum period of 3-4 months...maybe it varies from state to state, but can't see why that is :iono:
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 11:37 PM   #8
molar
Private
Rep
Drives:

Below is the email reply from late Sept

'I have checked with the Stock Control department and they have your vehicle listed for October Production, this will be confirmed with a final week of october it will be built in as soon as this production run begins next month.'

Below is the email reply from yesterday

'My apologies for the late reply, I have been waiting for a confirmation on build dates for yours and two other 135i Coupe's due to a reduction in our number of allocated units for october & november production.
Unfortunately I have just recieved word from stock control that all three 135i's i was hoping to have built in October & November are now in December production unless i get notified otherwise. Due to worldwide demand we were not allocated any units for production in September which pushed us way back with orders and has resulted in both October and November production being filled before your position on the order list came into line.
My sincere apologies for the delays with this, but even with pushing to move some of my other clients vehicles around to fit yours in first, I was still unsuccessful in getting November production for you. As soon as I have your VIN confirmed and the production date in front of my I will let you know straight away.'

Spoke to the sales manager, who just spewed back the above email. He also told me that they do not bump orders around and in the very next sentence, told me that because of my situation when he receives confirmation from BMW Aust tomorrow about his Dec allocation, he will shuffle the list and guarantee me Dec production. I can smell the :bs: from here. Remember I was guaranteed a Dec delivery when I signed the contract.

My concern here is that if they treat me so badly now with a $85K order in jeopardy, how are they going to treat me when it comes to servicing? As poorly as Mercedes?

I really hate one dealer towns.

Dare I say , the Mitsubishi Evo X, the Nissan 370Z, is looking interesting.

Cancelled my order
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 11:39 PM   #9
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m3

Cancel and order elsewhere?? Why not buy from VIC or NSW?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 11:49 PM   #10
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Agree with Kris, if your heart's set on the 135i, just get it elsewhere...

As for the other choices, the 370Z won't be around to check out until sometime in '09 (no doubt it'll be an impressive coupe)...so time wise you'd be in a similar boat as to when you actually get your hands on a new car if you decided on one of those...
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2008, 12:00 AM   #11
molar
Private
Rep
Drives:

Travelling to Sydney this Friday. Will give the local dealers a call.

For Kris and our Sydney friends do you have any suggestion? Especially names of good sales people.

Still leaves me with the servicing problem!

Cancelled my order
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2008, 12:17 AM   #12
Blacky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

In regards to your legal obligations, I am no legal eagle but read you sales contract signed for the car.
If you signed nothing then you have no obligation, but may look deposit if paid anything.
If you signed something I am sure all you legal obligations and theirs are there either on the front or in fine print on the rear.
Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2008, 12:37 AM   #13
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Molar, I can only recommend Sylvania BMW. Have been dealing with them for the past 20 odd years.

If you decide to give them a call, ask for Anthony Rodriquez. He is the General Manager..Really knows his stuff.

His father is the Dealer Principle there so the service and honesty is second to none.

Have PM you my full name if you decide..

As far as your legal obligation goes, no one will no better than another BMW dealer who wants your businesss..:biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2008, 01:07 AM   #14
aus135i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
wtf thats a whole month before i put in my order and my car is on the Taipan due to arrive on the 19th NOV... come and check out the dealers in Sydney... wil pm u my details.. i live 2mins from BMW dealer...=)
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2008, 01:18 AM   #15
lindenberger
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 135 - DCT

:bs:

I'm going to raise it too. The dealers email sounds like something they allegedly serve with gelato at the Coogee Bay Hotel.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2008, 01:29 AM   #16
stonecrusher
Rep
Drives:

Molar, that's bad news. I was meant to be an August build, then it was Sept then Oct. Finally confirmed it is October and I have my chassis number. Bear in mind I put my deposit down in May!
The service from AC is woeful and seems to be a recurring theme in this forum. If I do get another BMW, I'll definitely be looking interstate.
Roll on December when it arrives.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2008, 01:58 AM   #17
Gumball
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: A45

You could also give Scott Butler a call at BMW Sydney - Chatwood.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2008, 02:01 AM   #18
cargeek
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Old man's comfy car

Molar I would definitely make sure you are not committed to buy the car from your first dealer before signing another contract. We have one dealer in Tassie and they have been excellent. I ordered my car and they agreed to give me the first week in Sept build so I could get the new idrive and when they were told the new idrive appears from October build cars they ordered me another one which was built in the first week of October. Mine is a vert and there may be less demand for them which might explain why I could get a car relatively easily.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2008, 05:25 AM   #19
molar
Private
Rep
Drives:

Thank you,
Thank you,
Thank you,

To all who have offered advice, my heart felt thank you.

I have had a very rough 24 hours as a result of AutoClassic and you have kept me sane and on an even keel.

A special thank you to those who PM me. You know who you are :wink:

Like all of us I LOVE the 135 but I am not prepared to put up with :bs:, so I am off to Sydney car shopping.

For the record they do "reallocate production slots for special cases". It was offered to me!!

Cancelled my order
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2008, 07:14 AM   #20
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135 Coupe

The new car sales Manager at BMW Sydney in Chatswood is Ken Littlewood. I've bought my last 3 cars from him. Not only is he a good sales person, he's a very decent bloke. From my experience, if you've done your research, and therefore know what you want and what you are willing to pay, you just tell him, and he will tell you straight out whether he can do it, and if not, he'll tell you what he can do.

I couldn't recommend him highly enough.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2008, 07:49 AM   #21
SimonB
135 to 335 M Sport to X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30d, optioned up!

molar, good luck. I rest my case regarding a 'single dealer town'. It's not good for us consumers, although it may be good for BMW Australia. One day.
      10-29-2008, 09:36 PM   #22
ExMX5
Engineering Tool
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by molar View Post
For reference, has anyone else received the same BS about their order being bumped? Especially by AutoClassic.

How many are expecting a Dec/Jan delivery and when did you place your order.

This will provide me with real world information to 'negotiate' with.

Thanks for the above replies.
To be fair I ordered around the exact same time and I'm in pretty much the same situation. They told me it could be March when I ordered so I was happy when they told me probably December but could be Jan...

I can imagine that AC gets pretty busy as well!

Due December 15th!
Appreciate 0