E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Upgrading Speakers

02-27-2006, 09:32 PM   #1
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Upgrading Speakers

Forgive my lack of knowledge when it comes to stereos, but I was thinking about upgrading the speakers in my professional radio system. I think the sound quality is ok, and was looking for some minor upgrades I can make.

First of all, I do not want a bass thumping stereo. But I believe I would like to upgrade the speakers to get some better quality audio from the car.

I realize the E90 is relatively new, but has there been anybody who has done some minor mods to their stereo? I would only want ways to replace what already exists, and not add in speakers or a box in the back. Any ideas would be helpful
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2006, 09:47 PM   #2
wurz154
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d touring

Hi there,
I haven't replace speakers 'cause I think the quality is good... I do know all the speakers are 2ohm which will make it more difficult to find a replacement 'cause if you put a 4ohm speakers you might get half the voulme... so if you change speakers you should most likely change amp as well.... still duable but with some expert hand...
My 2 cent suggestion... leave it like it is..
Max
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2006, 04:29 AM   #3
jcurbina
Rep
Drives: 320d E90

wurz154, you are wrong, all the speakers are 4ohm and you can change it easily. The instructions to do it are here: http://bmwfaq.com/showthread.php?t=88824

Speaker : http://www.bmwfaq.com/attachment.php...2&d=1121802682

I had change the rear and front speakers and the radio. If you want to see how it's look check this: http://www.bmwfaq.com/showthread.php?t=105844

is it enough?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2006, 07:55 PM   #4
wurz154
Private
Italy
Rep

I did some further research and may be it'll change with the system you have... By looking at the attachment below the basic has 4ohm... the Hi-Fi has 2ohm on all of speakers and the logic has 2ohm but the subs that are 4ohm...
Having said that I did not checked nor changed my speakers (I have a 10 speakers hi-fi amplified) and I base my knowledge by the info found around...
If you would be so kind to specify the system you upgraded might be worth it...
thanks
Max
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2006, 07:08 AM   #5
jcurbina
Rep
Drives: 320d E90

Ok, here you have what I have:

Radio Alpine 9852RR, 50x4 (18 RMS) http://www.alpine-europe.com/content...nguage=spanish

Speakers:
Front JBL P452
Rear JBL P6452
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2006, 05:57 PM   #6
wurz154
Private
Italy
Rep

Let me clarify,
you said your original speakers were all 4ohm, could you tell us what system was in your car, 'cause if it was the basic it does make sense and would be different from upgrading a 10 speakers or a prologic...
Max
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2007, 02:40 AM   #7
Shamu
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 AW E92 335

i think that for non-North Amer. cars, the "basic" sound system starts at the "basic" column in your table, whereas for North Amer. cars, the "basic" system starts at the hi-fi column. This would explain jcurbina's setup and why his stock impedance is 4ohm.

I'm also thinking of upgrading the speakers in the e92, and would anyone have the specs as to the stock hi-fi setup? Specifically:

1. I'm assuming the fronts are being powered via a pre-amp in the stock HU...if so, does anyone know the RMS the pre-amp gives? I don't want to change the stock HU for aesthetics and function reasons.

2. Does anyone have the size (including mounting depth) of the front and rear speakers that I should go with should I swap them out?

THanks in advance for any info you can provide.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2007, 05:00 AM   #8
Jamez
Private
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 325i

Hi

Plans for my E92...

Based on the post and photos by "jcurbina" i already ordered and recieved 2 sets of Infinity Kappa 42.7i they are the sames size and definatly smaller mounting depth than the stock speaker since they use neodyium magnets. I will try to install them this spring.

The only difference to jcurbina install is that the E92 front doors are longer and that the rear speakers are not in the trunk shelf but in the rear side panels, although i expect these to come of like the front door panels.

Just got of the phone with bmw and they confirmed that we in EU get no audio wires in the trunk with the Basic System, so no easy SUB install here.
Acutally i just thought it cant be that hard to tap into the L/R speaker wire from the rear side panels when i disassemble them to upgrade speaker and run this through the fold down rear seats to an amp...

What i am wondering is how the speakers under the seats are powered since the HU only produces 4x15W, they must be powered in chain with the rear or front speakers...

Anyhow still researching a little to hopefully get an audio upgrade somehow.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2007, 05:31 PM   #9
Shamu
Private
Canada
Rep

Thank you for this info Jamez! You mention that the Infinity's have a smaller mounting depth...what's the max depth do you think we have for new speakers? Do you think 2" mount-depth will fit?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2007, 02:08 AM   #10
Jamez
Private
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 325i

Shamu, an altavista translation of the link jcurbina posted tells me this:

"1 Depth of the loudspeaker for the front doors: Between the panel of the door and the window there is a depth of about 55 mm, not mount a loudspeaker that excels then, you touch the window when lowering it."

So i guess anything under 55mm is ok...
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2007, 01:08 PM   #11
Shamu
Private
Canada
Rep

Thank you Jamez -- this appears to be just slightly over 2" mounting depth.
Appreciate 0