BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-07-2015, 07:51 PM   #1
2011e82
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Turbo lag/hesitation

I have a 2011 135i with the twin scroll turbo. I'm currently running stage 2 Dinan software--everything else stock. A few months ago I've started noticing turbo lag, which had been almost zero, stretch to 3-5 seconds while only while cruising on the freeway. I've almost gotten rear ended because I went to merge in traffic and my car literally would not accelerate. I can't always reproduce this, especially at the dramatic 4-5 second intervals. This only seems to happen on prolonged highway drives of 30 minutes or more and when the engine temp is at about 245-250F. When the engine temp backs off to say 220-230--no more lag. It's as though the car goes into safety mode even though it doesn't cross the half way point of the engine temp gauge, and doesn't trigger a fault code. I've also had 3 instances where the warning temp light came on, again the temp hadn't gone over 250, and it immediately cleared after pulling over and turning the car off and on(realizing I could just turn the car off and on after the first time).
This only happened while driving over 30 min on the freeway and while using the AC on a mid 80's day. Again not something I can replicate on command, even driving an hour in mid 80's/A/C on. Wondering if anyone can help. I have an extended warranty but it's through a third party and I don't want to drive it in for BMW to charge me to tell me there is nothing wrong. Again it's never triggered any engine codes, just the temperature warning. Feel like I'm driving with a break down waiting to happen. Would appreciate any thoughts or input.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2015, 08:40 PM   #2
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

Just a wild guess but if your step on it on the highway and get a hesitation it could be the clutch is slipping. I had a similiar hesitation and it was the clutch going out. 2 months later needed a new clutch because the rear seal was leaking and ruined the clutch. Just a guess. good luck.
Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 02:32 PM   #3
2011e82
Rep

Did you have any slippage or just the hesitation? I've almost always driven manual and never had a clutch actually go out, but I thought the car would rev a bit extra and not go anywhere with the clutch engaged as it went out? I feel like something is going to break eventually but it's so inconsistent so I guess I just need to drive until it does break. Thanks for the input.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 02:39 PM   #4
lowbudgethero
Captain
Rep
Drives: '98 Z3M (gone), '09 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [8.50]
put it in 6th gear on the highway and put your foot gently on the brake to build up max boost at low rpm to see if it slips
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 07:08 PM   #5
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011e82 View Post
Did you have any slippage or just the hesitation? I've almost always driven manual and never had a clutch actually go out, but I thought the car would rev a bit extra and not go anywhere with the clutch engaged as it went out? I feel like something is going to break eventually but it's so inconsistent so I guess I just need to drive until it does break. Thanks for the input.
The best way to describe it is if your on the highway and floor it the revs will jump. It was not all the for me, as I described. But 2 months later the clutch went to the floor... gone. But it was a rear main seal that was leaking.
Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 02:12 PM   #6
2011e82
Rep

It doesn't slip with the boost. The problem is sometimes the boost refuses to build for an eternity. Thanks for the suggestions. Going into Dinan on Monday to see if it's thrown any faults that didn't trigger a full check engine light. I drove 20 miles with the A/C cranked while the outside temp registered 98, yesterday, and not a single issue--go figure.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 02:13 PM   #7
2011e82
Rep

Almost wonder if the waste gate is getting stuck.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 06:14 PM   #8
jftaz6
Registered
Rep

I've got almost the exact same problem. I'm running JB4 with ISO firmware though with a new charge pipe and BMS intake. I took it to BMW and they said that it was the blowoff valve, but was caused by the JB4 tune. I don't fully believe it's the tune but I'm working with Steve over at BMS anyway.
Appreciate 0