BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-06-2015, 09:06 AM   #23
Mr Rooty Von Tooty
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff J View Post
So I contacted Akebono today, and they confirmed that they do not make pads for the 135i, and have no plans to do so because it's a low volume niche product. So scratch that idea.

thanks for all of the other suggestions. i'll do some reviewing, consult with the shop, and see what we come up with. May just go back with OEM pads, as they've worked well - just very dusty.
I'll sell you a complete set for the 135i with less than 50 miles on them for about half of list:

http://dayton.craigslist.org/pts/5244067161.html

Yeah they are expensive. From the BMW parts counter, they'll cost you $473!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 09:09 AM   #24
Mr Rooty Von Tooty
Banned
United_States
Rep

BTW:

http://www.hawkperformance.com/perfo...rmance-ceramic
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 09:13 PM   #25
Jeff J
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 X5M, '18 M2, '09 135i

I wanted to bring this thread back from the dead to give a short report on our new brakes. Ended up going with the EBC Redstuff ceramic pads and stock factory rotors. We've put a couple of thousand miles of daily commuting on them, and of course it's been winter, so we haven't been particularly aggressive on things yet.

Initial bite is actually pretty good from the Redstuff pads. Maybe not quite as sharp as stock, but definitely not far off. And for better or worse, I can say that the EBC recommended bed-in procedure was completely ignored. Mrs Jeff J is the primary driver of the 135, and she's a believer in "break them in like you're going to use them".

Overall stopping power is enough to give our winter tires more than they can handle, which may not be saying all that much. But we'll see how we do on a fresh set of Michelin PSS go back on in a week or two. I suspect that everything will still get a passing grade.

Dust is worlds better than the stock pads. Not zero by any means, but you can easily drive a week or two without feeling compelled to wash (unless you're particularly anal about brake dust, which we are not).

So in summary, I'm giving two thumbs up for the EBC Redstuff as a daily driver street pad. Plenty of bite and power, and much less dust than stock.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 09:20 AM   #26
Mr Rooty Von Tooty
Banned
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up Hawk Ceramic Pads - Yellow Box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.fabulous View Post
Can somebody tell me the part number for Hawk Yellow Box for a 135i? Even the Hawk site doesn't list box color...

I just ordered another set of front pads from Tire Rack. They didn't have the rear pads available, but I don't see that as a problem. The rears looks like they'll way out last the fronts. Anyway, the part number is:

Hawk HB603Z.616

The rears are:

Hawk HB604Z.598

Mercedes and BMW both use the horrible dust creating soft crappy pads for a good reason. Since the Germans drive 200 MPH, they need a soft pad that bites really hard on the rotors. Actually these pads really bite.

American consumers have been complaining for years about the stock pads, but the Germans in their infinite wisdom insist on using them. You just have to love the Germans with all their wacky ideas. BTW, the Hawk pads do a great job!
Appreciate 0