BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-18-2009, 07:18 AM   #1
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M240i LCI

BMW won't fit my CF spoiler

I have ordered the CF spoiler from BMW for my 135i and they booked me in at the BMW bodyshop to have it fitted today. A couple of hours later I get a call to say they can't / won't fit it as they believe when they remover the standard spoiler on the boot it will take the paint off with it and I will need to have the whole boot resprayed.

They said they remove spoiler quite often and they rarely come off without damaging the pain.

What is the point of BMW Performance offering a part that BMW don't want to fit because of the risk of damage to the car ?

I was really looking forward to heving this fitted today and not I can't.

Anyone else had one fitted or knows how the old spoiler can be safely removed ?
      05-18-2009, 07:22 AM   #2
Double Nick
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i Man/CR/Taupe. 5/08/09

Possible solution: remove the OEM spoiler yourself. There are posts on here that advise it is pretty simple. Check those out. Gee, I feel like Dr Phil--solved that issue: even before a commercial break. Nick
      05-18-2009, 07:25 AM   #3
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Nick View Post
Possible solution: remove the OEM spoiler yourself. There are posts on here that advise it is pretty simple. Check those out. Gee, I feel like Dr Phil--solved that issue: even before a commercial break. Nick
Do you have a link ?
      05-18-2009, 07:26 AM   #4
HebbNH
Resident Cacodemon Expert
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 135i 6MT

Check the DIY section. Look for the DIY spoiler install video thread. Should be on the first page.

EDIT: Here's a link. http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211918
BMS JB4 | BMS DCI | ETS intercooler | ETS charge pipe | HKS SSQV III | CP-E downpipes | BMWP exhaust | P3Cars vent gauge | LUX V3 angel eyes | Weisslicht smoked LED sidemarkers | Blackline LCI taillights | Slek Designs front lip | BMWP grills | Seibon M3 hood | iCarbon CSL trunk | iCarbon rear diffuser | BMWP suspension | Yokohama Advan Neova AD08s | Work Brombachers - FLOSS edition | H&R spacers | TC Kline studs | Project Kics R40 lugs
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2009, 07:27 AM   #5
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

Heat the spoiler with a hair dryer and pour hot water over it, then use dental floss to remove it.

Then you just need to get rid of the adhesive with a non-corrosive label remover.

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2009, 07:44 AM   #6
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff View Post
Heat the spoiler with a hair dryer and pour hot water over it, then use dental floss to remove it.

Then you just need to get rid of the adhesive with a non-corrosive label remover.
sounds great fun.....I wounder it the body shop do it this way
      05-18-2009, 09:07 PM   #7
mjovic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Either BMW paint is the worst paint ever made or they are idiots. Let your car sit out in the sun for a bit, use a hairdryer and dental floss, then go over the taped area with goo-gone. Wash it real good then apply the spoiler with tape...there is a video floating around here somewhere. Check the DIY section.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2009, 09:16 PM   #8
JohnL135I
Donkey Kong King
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Boss 302

How can you purchase a BMW Product and not have a BMW dealership install it....thats insane. The dealership must not have a clue.... sad. I would hate to take the car to that dealer for an actual maint. problem with the car.
      05-18-2009, 09:28 PM   #9
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

The dealership is out of its mind.

I put mine on myself in the parking lot. Getting the factory spoiler off wasn't all that hard at all. I didn't even have to heat it (although it was pretty warm outside when I did the job), and when I was done with the Goo Gone, you couldn't tell there had ever been one on the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2009, 02:02 AM   #10
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
The dealership is out of its mind.

I put mine on myself in the parking lot. Getting the factory spoiler off wasn't all that hard at all. I didn't even have to heat it (although it was pretty warm outside when I did the job), and when I was done with the Goo Gone, you couldn't tell there had ever been one on the car.
I have sent the MBW Bodyshop the link of the video on hbow to remove the spoiler with dental floss. I am waiting to hear from them when they have looked at it.

I am thinking I may remove it myself, let them clean the glue off and fit the spoiler and get them to reduce the cost to fit.
      05-19-2009, 06:45 AM   #11
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

They are happier with the "idea" of removing the spoiler with dental floss. Now they have rejuected the spoiler as sub standard. There is a seam underneath that has a gap along the whole lengh of the spoiler that lookes like it should be bonded but instead has a gap of about 10mm and is open for the entire length of the spoiler. This makes it all spongey and springy so woulf not be ridgid when fixed. The dealership as called BMW direct today and they say all of them they have i stock are like that....

I didn't realise getting one of these fitted would be so difficult and not it appears all the UK stock is scrap !!!!!!!!

Does anyone have a picture of the underside of one of these spoilers ???
      05-19-2009, 07:35 AM   #12
HebbNH
Resident Cacodemon Expert
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 135i 6MT

Sounds to me like your dealer employs a bunch of idiots. I really doubt there's actually anything wrong with your spoiler, especially if ALL of them look like that. I think your best bet is to try a different dealer or just do it yourself, IMO.
BMS JB4 | BMS DCI | ETS intercooler | ETS charge pipe | HKS SSQV III | CP-E downpipes | BMWP exhaust | P3Cars vent gauge | LUX V3 angel eyes | Weisslicht smoked LED sidemarkers | Blackline LCI taillights | Slek Designs front lip | BMWP grills | Seibon M3 hood | iCarbon CSL trunk | iCarbon rear diffuser | BMWP suspension | Yokohama Advan Neova AD08s | Work Brombachers - FLOSS edition | H&R spacers | TC Kline studs | Project Kics R40 lugs
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2009, 07:37 AM   #13
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HebbNH View Post
Sounds to me like your dealer employs a bunch of idiots. I really doubt there's actually anything wrong with your spoiler, especially if ALL of them look like that. I think your best bet is to try a different dealer or just do it yourself, IMO.
It did look wrong, as if the bond line had broken and it had "sprung" open. It affecter the strucual strenght of it ans would have made fitting it very different. Hence some pictures would be good of the underside of one.
      05-19-2009, 08:13 AM   #14
BIMMERMANF30
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' 335XI, AW, CR, M Sport, 8A

DIY cf spoiler removal and install on youtube

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2009, 10:21 AM   #15
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
That's a bummer. Clearly the dealer sounds like a bunch of incompetent dolts if they don't know how to get the stock spoiler off without damaging the paint. Unfortunately, you're doubly screwed if the CF spoiler is defective. I would use the dealer only to get a new spoiler (no cost) and then install it yourself. I did mine and it was easy as pie. Follow the DIY. My experience is that dental floss and patience was all that is needed to remove the stock spoiler. It actually takes longer to remove the adhesive residue afterwards than the spoiler. Use double-stick trim tape on the new spoiler with a couple of soft weights on it over night and you're good to go.
      05-19-2009, 05:56 PM   #16
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

Just DIY, the factory spoiler will not remove the paint on the OEM boot. I just did this to my car last week. Take a heat gun and heat up the factory spoiler. Use dental floss or fishing line to wedge in between the tape and trunk. Then use goo gone or rubbing alcohol to remove the residue from the surface. Clean the area and stick on the new spoiler.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2009, 08:24 PM   #17
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

I did mine with floss on a cold day in my garage. I used WD40 and some elbow grease to remove the tape left behind... As all other replies here have stated, your paint will be fine... I actually did not reinstall my performance spoiler, it looks good without any spoiler. The OEM one sits too far forward on the trunk, it looks strange to me... IMHO....

05-20-2009, 12:05 AM   #18
HACKULO
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2012 BMW 335i coupe  [0.00]
2008 135i  [6.00]
so ez ~~~i take off my oem spoiler in 10 mins~
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 01:43 AM   #19
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the help. I think I will do the removal myself and get the body shop to fit it. That is after they agree the spoiler is ok. They arew still saying the join on the underside should be bonded and has opened up so the part is faulty.

Does anyone who fitted there own spoiler remember if this was sealed or open ?
      05-22-2009, 06:46 PM   #20
1on1Series
Rep
Drives:

Check out this article from eurotuner.com

http://www.eurotuner.com/techarticle...35i/index.html

They have a DIY section on removing the factory spoiler and installing the CF one.

Also, there is a CF Spoiler DIY with glue if you search the forum.

Your dealer is trying to rip you off. I went to 4 dealers and all told me different things. They all wanted around $200 for the install and said it will take about 2-3 hours. That’s BS. The install should not take more than 45 min if you have the proper tools.

You are better off doing it yourself and I highly recommend you use the glue that the dealer sells because that will guarantee you that the spoiler will not come off. I was going to tape mine on but I decided to glue it on instead.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 06:49 PM   #21
1on1Series
Rep
Drives:

Also, one thing I forgot to add was that BMW provides step by step instuctions on how to install the spoiler, the dealer should have given you the print out. That's how I got mine. You will also find the pdf on here if you search. E90post.com also has great articles on installing CF Spoliers, the same methods apply to the 135i.
Appreciate 0