BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-02-2017, 03:02 PM   #1
rominun
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Bmw 135i

JB4 backend flash

So I've been running mhd flash tune on my car for the last couple months. I'm fbo right now running a 25% mix. I just looked up some posts and it says that having a jb4 paired with mhd would increase the reliability of the engine. Is that actually the case? If so, would my mhd flash maps be of no use? Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 07:31 PM   #2
ThatKidDavid
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Bump. Interested in details/benefits in stacking MHD and JB4
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 09:06 PM   #3
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

I've been swapping between E25 with the JB4 on BMS Race BEF and the MHD E25 OTS tune. With a FBO N54, I found the MHD tune had noticeable low-down pull that the JB4 maps don't. The MHD tune targets higher boost than the JB4, and didn't pull timing as quickly as the JB4.

After installing inlets+outlets, I found Map5 in the Jb4 with the race BEF to be much smoother than the MHD. That said, the outright performance of the MHD map was better (again, thanks to it targeting higher boost and pulling timing less, though the fear here is that the only way you get that is by being less sensitive to knock).

I did a heap of 3rd gear runs with each tune, and have attached my best virtual dyno of both.

In the end, I've dropped back to pump gas and JB4 map 2, because over my time playing with E25 - E40 I've found the limits of both my HPFP and LPFP.

Long story short - from everything I've read, it's one or the other; your Backend-flash options are:
1) JB4 in gauges only mode (4/4) with MHD E25 Map (E25)
2) JB4 in BEF mode (4/2) with BMS RACE BEF (E25)
3) Custom tune (either with our without the JB4)

All that said - if you do have the JB4 in gauges only mode, I found it would still drop to Map 4 if it detects a failsafe condition. (Of course, when you're in Gauges only 4/4, it doesn't make any difference to your tune what map the JB4 is in, as long as it's not zero). - So, if you stack your JB4 in gauges only mode and keep the gauges on the dash, you still get a small safety that people with no JB4 do -> Keep it on Map 5, and if you ever see it drop to Map 4, slow down and examine the logs to find out what's triggered it.

Last edited by xQx; 02-13-2023 at 09:15 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2017, 09:02 AM   #4
bNks334
Major
Rep
Drives: '11 135i (N55)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rominun View Post
So I've been running mhd flash tune on my car for the last couple months. I'm fbo right now running a 25% mix. I just looked up some posts and it says that having a jb4 paired with mhd would increase the reliability of the engine. Is that actually the case? If so, would my mhd flash maps be of no use? Thanks again
To directly answer your question, there are a few "perks" to stacking a JB4 with a flash tune, but there is nothing to it that will "increase the reliability of the engine." In fact, a custom flash tune dialed in for your specific car and mods is ideal for drive-ability and consistency. Directly changing the DME tables with a flash tune renders the JB4 useless not the other way around, with the exception of a few of the "perks" of adding on a JB4:

* No boost until oil (or is it coolant??) gets up to 180f
* Gauge hijacking (pretty stupid "feature" in my opinion that #1 can't accurately be read and #2 messes with your ability to see your oil temps and fuel levels lol)
* JB4 adds ability to run meth/pi/secondary fuel pump setup
* Instantaneous map switching via steering wheel controls (I would argue that this is not as straightforward as people want you to believe it is. JB4 does still require other settings to be fine tuned when you change maps/boost. Also, if you have a back-end flash the DME tables have been re-scaled to work with a more aggressive boost curve than the base JB4 maps. You end up relying on DME table "overhead" or "safety net" when you start changing load/boost too far from the curve the DME expects to see. Most JB4 users are content with having several degrees of timing corrections across an entire pull. DME is pretty robust in its ability to remove timing when the boost curve is too aggressive for the given octane. Flash tuning aims to dial in timing for the given fuel and boost so that these corrections never occur in the first place.)
* Bluetooth logging (JB4 logging is not nearly as extensive as MHD though so its more of creature comfort than actual benefit)
* Shift lights in-dash using the turn signals
* Other "features" that you can find yourself on BMS website that mostly entail things that are really only necessary to make the JB4 device itself user friendly.

And as a side note, there are no performance gains to adding on a JB4 device (see above how JB4 can be used as a boost controller but there is a limit to how far you can adjust things before the DME runs out of overhead to compensate). The only thing it's good for after already being flash tuned is for its can-bus features and its ability to control a meth/pi/secondary fuel pump setup.

Last edited by bNks334; 08-01-2017 at 09:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 07:27 AM   #5
E9xjake
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90 lci 335xi 6mt

Quote:
In my opinion it is more reliable. The jb4 has many safety features that you can not have via mhd. Such as, kicking down to a lower boost if either bank turns too lean, if your boost goes over your boost safety, fuel pressure too low, and other things as well. Not to mention being able to data log via jb4 and have your logs reviewed by experts on n54tech is amazing for troubleshooting problems. I'm posting a link to show you the benefits of using the jb4, and a burger motorsports backend flash together.
https://youtu.be/fQ39N2SpPMc
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 10:06 AM   #6
rominun
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E9xjake View Post
Quote:
In my opinion it is more reliable. The jb4 has many safety features that you can not have via mhd. Such as, kicking down to a lower boost if either bank turns too lean, if your boost goes over your boost safety, fuel pressure too low, and other things as well. Not to mention being able to data log via jb4 and have your logs reviewed by experts on n54tech is amazing for troubleshooting problems. I'm posting a link to show you the benefits of using the jb4, and a burger motorsports backend flash together.
https://youtu.be/fQ39N2SpPMc
Thanks man really appreciate it. I've bought a jb4 and now running a backend flash as well. Loving the new setup
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 01:03 PM   #7
E9xjake
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90 lci 335xi 6mt

Quote:
Thanks man really appreciate it. I've bought a jb4 and now running a backend flash as well. Loving the new setup
Yeah nothing really beats the jb4 in my opinion in the n54 market! Having boost control, the ability to data log, having the user adjustments, and all the safety features really make it worth the money. Not to mention all the support around it is just phenomenal. And then adding the backend flash really makes for a nice set up. These cars are just monsters with a few bolt ons and proper tuning. I have a fbo 335xi 6mt with the jb4 and flash and I can't get enough. I'm sure your 135i is just a rocket! Especially being 600 lbs lighter !!
In my very biased opinion, the jb4 is the best. And anyone who disagrees has either never used it, or doesn't know how to use it properly. It is a finicky tool, and it is high maintenance. You have to play with it a bit. But it has been very good to me. Most of the craziest n54 builds have a jb4. Not all, but many of them. Happy tuning!!

Last edited by E9xjake; 09-06-2017 at 01:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 04:27 PM   #8
rominun
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E9xjake View Post
Quote:
Yeah nothing really beats the jb4 in my opinion in the n54 market! Having boost control, the ability to data log, having the user adjustments, and all the safety features really make it worth the money. Not to mention all the support around it is just phenomenal. And then adding the backend flash really makes for a nice set up. These cars are just monsters with a few bolt ons and proper tuning. I have a fbo 335xi 6mt with the jb4 and flash and I can't get enough. I'm sure your 135i is just a rocket! Especially being 600 lbs lighter !!
In my very biased opinion, the jb4 is the best. And anyone who disagrees has either never used it, or doesn't know how to use it properly. It is a finicky tool, and it is high maintenance. You have to play with it a bit. But it has been very good to me. Most of the craziest n54 builds have a jb4. Not all, but many of them. Happy tuning!!
You're pretty much right on with why I wanted to get one. Really love how you can switch maps on the fly rather than wait for a 2 minute flash. I too am FBO with inlets and stage 1 fuel pump. Never got to unleash the best due to some manual swap issues, but I'm pretty sure those issues will be settled within the next week or two.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2023, 09:05 PM   #9
scenebiketbs
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

335xi BEF HELPPP

Im new to joining the forum. I got my 335 a little over two years ago. Ive had a lot of work done and finally did the JB4. I am now going to do the BEF. I need help finding which exact BEF I need to use for my car. Can anyone help me please? I also have a few other questions on some of the settings. Ive done a bunch of research but some things I still can't find. I own a construction company and early have time to even wipe my own ass. All my spare time goes into my car. I love this car and am so happy I did the purchase. Even though I keep spending all my money and it keeps going back to the shop it is all worth it.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2023, 10:15 AM   #10
sliebhard
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Sport

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scenebiketbs View Post
Im new to joining the forum. I got my 335 a little over two years ago. Ive had a lot of work done and finally did the JB4. I am now going to do the BEF. I need help finding which exact BEF I need to use for my car. Can anyone help me please? I also have a few other questions on some of the settings. Ive done a bunch of research but some things I still can't find. I own a construction company and early have time to even wipe my own ass. All my spare time goes into my car. I love this car and am so happy I did the purchase. Even though I keep spending all my money and it keeps going back to the shop it is all worth it.
If you haven’t already, review this thread at N54tech. It will help you determine what map you need based on your mods and DME version. Most will use pump unless you have a single turbo, port injection or want to use E40 or higher.

The template file downloads are at the bottom of the first post.

https://www.jb4tech.com/forum/model-...aps#post820731
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2023, 12:37 PM   #11
scenebiketbs
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliebhard View Post
If you haven’t already, review this thread at N54tech. It will help you determine what map you need based on your mods and DME version. Most will use pump unless you have a single turbo, port injection or want to use E40 or higher.

The template file downloads are at the bottom of the first post.

https://www.jb4tech.com/forum/model-...aps#post820731
So I read through that multiple times. first im trying to find out which software version I need I went to real oem and it said I have a WC73 which isn't even an option. I saw that it says do INA0S for 335is models but mine is an xi. Does that matter? then there's one for pump and one for USA pump. I can't find anyone saying what the difference is on it. Do you know anything about some of these things? I just need a little guidance. I don't want to fuck my car up.. thanks either way.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2023, 01:17 PM   #12
sliebhard
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
So I read through that multiple times. first im trying to find out which software version I need I went to real oem and it said I have a WC73 which isn't even an option. I saw that it says do INA0S for 335is models but mine is an xi. Does that matter? then there's one for pump and one for USA pump. I can't find anyone saying what the difference is on it. Do you know anything about some of these things? I just need a little guidance. I don't want to fuck my car up.. thanks either way.
What year is your car?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2023, 03:12 PM   #13
scenebiketbs
Registered
Rep

BEF JB4 N54 2008 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliebhard View Post
What year is your car?
It’s a 2008 335xi
I actually found it i think by going to MHD and reading the codes i didn’t realize it said it there. It said its IjE0S So next question. To flash MHD BEF i need to put jb4 in map 0 then which one do i choose. Im just using pump 93 right now but there is regular pump then there’s PUMP_USA then PUMP_USA_SCALAR. Also do i go to 4/2 before i flash or after? One more question. Then onces i put it in 4/2 for BEF do i then hit the volume down button all the way to 0 then change the map again or..?
By the way thanks for replying
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2023, 02:23 AM   #14
sliebhard
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
It’s a 2008 335xi
I actually found it i think by going to MHD and reading the codes i didn’t realize it said it there. It said its IjE0S So next question. To flash MHD BEF i need to put jb4 in map 0 then which one do i choose. Im just using pump 93 right now but there is regular pump then there’s PUMP_USA then PUMP_USA_SCALAR. Also do i go to 4/2 before i flash or after? One more question. Then onces i put it in 4/2 for BEF do i then hit the volume down button all the way to 0 then change the map again or..?
By the way thanks for replying
The second post in the jb4tech thread details the steps you should take but step 12 is what you’re looking for. After flashing - Set the dash menu to 4/2 and then go to menu 0 and select whichever map you’re intending to run. Probably map 2 since you have access to 93.

I’ve personally always used the pump USA file.
Appreciate 0