BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-19-2015, 06:38 AM   #1
PhillyfaanM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Gray Metallic M3

What Upgrade should I do next?

So…I’m looking for some advice on what upgrade I should do next. I realize this is a little subjective and each and every person who responds may have a differing opinion from another post. I’ve spent some time searching the forum and just can’t decide what my next step should be.

So…I’ll start by telling you what I’ve done so far and what my current/intended use is for this vehicle. With that, I’m hoping you can tell me what I should think about doing next that will complement the performance of the car. In terms of cost…I’m open to upgrades ranging from $200-2k depending on the ROI (will I see a substantial improvement?)

So here goes…

I drive a 2011 135i E88. This year I did the Dinan Stage II, BMS intake, Active Autowerkes front strut brace and BMW M Performance Exhaust. I don’t track the car and really only drive it in the warmer weather and on weekends and spend 80% of the time driving regular road and probably the other 20% finding nice twisty less trafficked roads to try. I’m currently at 18k miles and reliability is pretty important to me.

I’m already thinking about suspension, either springs or a coil over set up along with some better tires (MSS’s) to help me put down the power of the Dinan stage II…but since I have the convertible it seems my options may be a little limited.

So…
What upgrade should I get next?(include brand name)
What benefit would I possibly see from this upgrade?
What is the cost?

Thanks in advance for everyone’s input.

2018 Champaign Quartz F31 Sports Wagon | BMW 624 wheels | KW Street Coil Overs | DINAN Stage 1 v2.0 | Soul Performance Muffler delete
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 07:08 AM   #2
lowbudgethero
Captain
Rep
Drives: '98 Z3M (gone), '09 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [8.50]
I think you're on the right track, if you open to new wheels getting a larger front tire made a huge difference imo. If you're not racing I think coilovers might be overkill, you might be better served with just a good spring and shock combination. Personally, I think I'm going to be going with stiffer shocks on stock springs, but that's because I will scrape on everything if I go lower.

I did the order of upgrades kind of backwards based on what popped up on the forums: Tires, tune, lsd, minor suspension parts
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 07:17 AM   #3
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

Replace your stock shocks with Bilstein HD's. I just did that and the car holds better in the twisties.
Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 07:49 AM   #4
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Since you got the Dinan S2 tune before you got the PE, did the tune add any sound to your exhaust before you put on the PE? Would love to hear a video of your exhaust with the tune and the PE.
      06-21-2015, 06:24 AM   #5
PhillyfaanM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenEsteban
Since you got the Dinan S2 tune before you got the PE, did the tune add any sound to your exhaust before you put on the PE? Would love to hear a video of your exhaust with the tune and the PE.
I actually have a video clip (iPhone) stock car w stock exhaust & golf tee mod no Dinan Tune. Any advice on how to load video is appreciated.

2018 Champaign Quartz F31 Sports Wagon | BMW 624 wheels | KW Street Coil Overs | DINAN Stage 1 v2.0 | Soul Performance Muffler delete
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 07:48 AM   #6
gabsean
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Convertible

I have had my 08 135 vert for 18 months, put about 9k miles on mostly weekend driving
1. changed run flats to Michelin pilot as3 (huge difference in ride quality and grip)
2. vrsf 7" fmic ( makes a huge temperature difference, my car never goes past 250 degrees even if I am driving it like I stole it)
3. cobb ap ($400 used, stage 1 was night and day)
4. berk sport exhaust (no performance gains, sounds good only on acceleration)
5. whiteline subframe bushing inserts (best $75 dollars spent, felt the car on takeoff was all over the place in rear because of tires and cobb xtra power and this mod helped a lot, feel much more in control of ass end starting off and coming out of turns)
6. Koni FSD shocks (after months of research and back and forth, 135droptop highly recommended FSD and I went with them. Another huge difference in ride quality but was also surprised by how much better the car handled)
7. vrsf downpipes (was the hardest install of all and although going to cobb stage 2 the car seems to have instant response from takeoff, you hear turbo spool but am not getting the smile I got when the cobb was first installed.)
8. stop tech street performance pads ( no real performance betterment but I haven't heard a squeak in 2 months since I put them on!! It was driving me F*#!in nuts!)
9. I have just purchased a JL audio 600/6 and will be changing out amp next weekend (I have followed your posts Frank and I am taking small steps in my audio upgrade so that my wife doesn't kill me while I am asleep thinking about more ways to spend money on this weekend car)

I am also on the fence about a m3 front sway bar, oil catch can, and replacement subs under seats
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 07:53 AM   #7
Chunner
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is | #341/586

Garage List
M3 Rear subframe bushings! You will not regret it.

See Dakelone's sticky... link below:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=638163
2013 BMW 135is Coupe | Dinan Stage 3 | M3 Subframe Bushings | Dinan Monoball Joints | Dinan Toe Links | 1M Strut Bar | MPS AS/3 - VMR 710's 18x8.5 ET45 / 18x9.5 ET50 | MPSS - BMW 313's 18x7.5 / 18x8.5 | Min Grey, Savanna | Prem, Tech | DCT | Beast #341/586 |

2021 BMW X7 M50i | Alpine White | Children Hauler
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 11:14 AM   #8
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i M Sport 6MT, 15 X3 35i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
+1 for non RFT tires, oil catch can, struts, and sub frame bushings/inserts. If you have an MT, look into E46 M3 transmission bushings!

If you're happy with the cars power, handling should be next. Look at the M3 suspension upgrades like control arms and sway bars.

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 12:01 PM   #9
PhillyfaanM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabsean
I have had my 08 135 vert for 18 months, put about 9k miles on mostly weekend driving
1. changed run flats to Michelin pilot as3 (huge difference in ride quality and grip)
2. vrsf 7" fmic ( makes a huge temperature difference, my car never goes past 250 degrees even if I am driving it like I stole it)
3. cobb ap ($400 used, stage 1 was night and day)
4. berk sport exhaust (no performance gains, sounds good only on acceleration)
5. whiteline subframe bushing inserts (best $75 dollars spent, felt the car on takeoff was all over the place in rear because of tires and cobb xtra power and this mod helped a lot, feel much more in control of ass end starting off and coming out of turns)
6. Koni FSD shocks (after months of research and back and forth, 135droptop highly recommended FSD and I went with them. Another huge difference in ride quality but was also surprised by how much better the car handled)
7. vrsf downpipes (was the hardest install of all and although going to cobb stage 2 the car seems to have instant response from takeoff, you hear turbo spool but am not getting the smile I got when the cobb was first installed.)
8. stop tech street performance pads ( no real performance betterment but I haven't heard a squeak in 2 months since I put them on!! It was driving me F*#!in nuts!)
9. I have just purchased a JL audio 600/6 and will be changing out amp next weekend (I have followed your posts Frank and I am taking small steps in my audio upgrade so that my wife doesn't kill me while I am asleep thinking about more ways to spend money on this weekend car)

I am also on the fence about a m3 front sway bar, oil catch can, and replacement subs under seats
gabsean...haha. The part about your wife killing you while you sleep is hilarious, but I know what u mean. The beauty of almost everything I've done w the Audio is it looks completely stock. My wife actually doesn't know that I've done any upgrades. If she did, I'd already be dead. Good luck w ur audio set up...it'll make the world of difference.

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 12:07 PM   #10
PhillyfaanM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks everyone for ur input. It sounds like everyone is recommending tires & suspension. This is what I was also thinking.

Now for all those recommending the M3 subframe bushings, is this overkill being that I will never track this car?

Also, where would I buy these said M3 subframe bushings, is there a part number anyone can share?

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 02:58 PM   #11
cbl117
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank 135i Vert View Post
Thanks everyone for ur input. It sounds like everyone is recommending tires & suspension. This is what I was also thinking.

Now for all those recommending the M3 subframe bushings, is this overkill being that I will never track this car?

Also, where would I buy these said M3 subframe bushings, is there a part number anyone can share?
First, tightening the RSFB is by far the best suspension mod you can make on these cars. You will notice the improvement immediately, especially in the turns. I have no experience with the M3 bushings but I do have the Whiteline RSFB inserts, and the improvement was drastic. I think the law of diminishing returns comes into affect here. If you are not tracking your car (like me) then I'd recommend the inserts which are only $50 materials and $100 labor vs. ~$600-$800+ material and labor for the M3 bushings.

Second, I would change out the M-Sport springs and dampers. A 0.5" drop is nice and keeps the car very drivable. BMW performance springs or Dinan springs are a great option. I've heard swift spec-R springs are nice too and I believe have slightly more of a drop (0.75"-1"?). I have the bilstein HD dampers (B6) and can give a full recommendation. They paired very nicely with the BMW performance springs. I have reviews on here somewhere if you search. Others have this setup as well.

I would recommend changing out the run flat tires LAST. If you do this first (like I mistakenly did) the car will feel very squishy and uncomposed in corners. BMW designed their suspension to work with the RFT's stiffness so take that into consideration.

If you are looking to stay below $2k I would recommend doing the dampers/springs and RSFB inserts together as a package. With material and labor you should be right at $2k or slightly below. Then save for tire/wheel combo.

If you want more power consider a FMIC. If you are considering moving to Dinan stage 3 eventually, then the Dinan FMIC is nice. Wait for it to go on sale though. I was where you were power-wise and did the FMIC last. You WILL notice a difference. The car pulls much harder and you will start losing traction in second without sticky tires.

If your car is manual, then consider doing the CDV delete.

CURRENT: 2013 TSM 335i 6AT | Stock!!...for now |
SOLD: 2010 CR 135i 6MT | 351 WHP 387 WTQ | Dinan Stage 2 | Dinan Intercooler | BMS DCI | Berk Street Axle Back | N55 Midpipe | BMWP Y-Pipe | Bilstein HD Dampers | BMWP Springs | Whiteline RSFB Inserts | 225/255 RE71R | CDV Delete | CF Diffuser |

Last edited by cbl117; 06-21-2015 at 03:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 11:53 AM   #12
litebulb
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 E88 135i M-Sport/6MT/SGM

Garage List
Here's mine,

PE no Y, stock DP & MP:

New camera and 2 years in:

N55 MP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenEsteban View Post
| Dinan S2=>MHD | e46 M3 trans mounts | Dinan CF CAI | ER CP | HKS SSQV4 BOV | RB PCV Valve | VRSF DP | N55 MP | BMW PE | OC | VRSF 7" FMIC | UUC Evo3 SSK | EBC GD Sport Rotors | EBC Redstuff | TRW F+R | | Whiteline KDT918 | H&R Front Sway | BMWP 313 | MPSS 225/255 | Scopione CF Rear Diffuser | iCarbon CF Rear Spoiler | P3 v2.1 Gauge | Interior LED Retrofit |
Appreciate 0