BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-30-2015, 02:22 PM   #1
zerofire
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i Sportline

Out of Warranty Maintenance Suggestions (128i)

Hello all!

I'm new to this forum and BMWs as well. I recently purchased a 2010 128i Coupe 6-speed (june 2014) and it's now coming up on 72k miles. VERY fun car

Anyways, since I'm almost at 75k miles, I wanted to get some ideas on what type of maintenance I should be completing at this mileage? I've done some small searches but all I come up with is scheduled maintenance and what you should do while still under warranty.

I got the car at approximately 60k miles and at around 65k miles I did a small tune up to the car. Here is a quick list of what I've done so far:

Spark plugs
K&N Drop in air filter
Oil Change w/new oil filter
Cabin filter replacement

Now I know the clutch is on it's way out. Doesn't engage until I'm ALMOST at the top of the pedal (if that makes sense, not to mention I got beat BADLY by a 1994 honda accord cause my clutch started slipping like some shit haha) so I know I'll have to replace that probably within the next 5k miles. With that being said, do any of you have any suggestions on what I should replace? Any suggestions (good or bad) would be highly appreciated. I love this 128i and would love to keep it for years to come even more.

I'm new to BMW's but not new to cars. MAJOR mechanic work I'll take to a shop because I don't have tools to complete those kinds of tasks, but general maintenance I should be able to complete on my own.

When should the transmission fluid be replaced? What type of fluid do you all recommend?

Please note that I'm not really going for performance here, but at the same time I don't mind adding some more power to this thing. I'll worry about performance later, but first, I'd like to do all the maintenance needed first.

Is there anything that I should prioritize as far as maintenance goes this upcoming 10-15k miles? When should I be concerned for the timing belt? head gasket? water pump, etc., etc., all that jazz? With older cars, I considered major tune ups to be done @ every 75k mile intervals, but since this is a BMW, I'm not sure if things last longer or need to be replaced sooner. Any and ALL input is greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post that seems/sounds redundant. Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 02:47 PM   #2
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
I'd take a look at BMW's maintenance schedule. Also, if you have a good BMW shop near you, they are quite knowledgable about repairs and service, considering that's why they're in business.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 04:30 PM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

In addition to your list...

do another oil & filter change(use only BMW oil filters or MANN or Mahle)
spark plugs
pollen filter

replace and bleed brake fluid

I would also change:
manual trans fluid
diff fluid
wiper blades

check brakes for wear
check hand brake/adjust
check exhaust for leaks
check battery
check washer fluid level