BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-23-2014, 07:18 PM   #1
kegobass
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive

Adaptive light control failed

I replaced the H8 Angel Eyes in my E82 2011 135i this morning with some Arc Angels. The lights work great and look great!

I took the car out later today and started getting a dashboard warning - "Adaptive light control failed". I double checked the light covers are on tightly and also checked the bottom tabs are in properly. The lights theselves are all working (HID, Angel eyes, park, etc.). As a last ditch effort I tried resetting the warning but it didn't work.

I read through a few threads on the forum but nothing concerte stood out as to a fix. Most people recommended to bring the car into the dealership so since mine is still under warranty, that's probably what I'll do.

If I do bring the car in, I am hoping they won't care that I swapped out the H8 lights with non-OEM bulbs. I wouldn't think that the bulbs alone would cause this to occur but who knows.

Any suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 07:25 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Remove your new AE bulbs before taking your car in. That is if you don't want to be on the hook for $1,500 for two new headlamps. This happens far too often - its why I refuse to mess with my AE bulbs. Far too many failures once you open up those covers.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 07:29 PM   #3
kegobass
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Remove your new AE bulbs before taking your car in. That is if you don't want to be on the hook for $1,500 for two new headlamps. This happens far too often - its why I refuse to mess with my AE bulbs. Far too many failures once you open up those covers.
I was affraid you'd say that. The passenger side light cover is a huge pain in the butt to work with. Though after tinkring with it for a few hours, I found how to take it off/put it back on rather quickly.

Thanks for the advice.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 07:49 PM   #4
kegobass
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
If the new AE's have relay boxes, check to ensure they are secured with double sided tape out of the way. They will restrict the adaptive light's motor and hence you'll get an error.

Best process is to fit the lights and secure relays and then before putting the covers back on, start the car with lights on and perform a full steering lock left & right. You should be able to see the lights moving and no errors.
These were a direct bulb replacement, no relays. I will try that approach though in terms of testing each side and then putting the cover on afterwards. It should at least tell me which side to focus on. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 07:53 PM   #5
johngrossi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M
If the new AE's have relay boxes, check to ensure they are secured with double sided tape out of the way. They will restrict the adaptive light's motor and hence you'll get an error.

Best process is to fit the lights and secure relays and then before putting the covers back on, start the car with lights on and perform a full steering lock left & right. You should be able to see the lights moving and no errors.
+1 it can't be the bulbs themselves but the binding of headlamp motor causing the AHL failures. This is due to the external components in addition to the bulb that are getting in the way. Properly securing these components out of the way will solve all of these issues.

I hadn't heard of AHL failures in the e90 world due to the different headlamp design
      02-23-2014, 08:03 PM   #6
kegobass
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngrossi View Post
+1 it can't be the bulbs themselves but the binding of headlamp motor causing the AHL failures. This is due to the external components in addition to the bulb that are getting in the way. Properly securing these components out of the way will solve all of these issues.

I hadn't heard of AHL failures in the e90 world due to the different headlamp design
Cool. Then that helps confirm that the problem is most likely fixable if I just spend some time properly ensuring the components can move freely. I'll give it a shot. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 08:07 PM   #7
johngrossi
Second Lieutenant
Rep

You got it.
Ensure free movement and if not correct that. Hopefully you catch it before the motor had a chance to burn up.

If all else fails, replace with the stock bulbs and bring it to the dealer since your under warranty.
      02-24-2014, 07:10 PM   #8
kegobass
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngrossi View Post
You got it.
Ensure free movement and if not correct that. Hopefully you catch it before the motor had a chance to burn up.

If all else fails, replace with the stock bulbs and bring it to the dealer since your under warranty.
So you were right on John. The passenger side HID metal cable was slightly pinched under the battery cover preventing the adaptive functionality from working. Once I fixed this, no more dash warnings. I appreciated the help all.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 10:15 PM   #9
johngrossi
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Absolutely my friend, happy modding. Hope the AE's turned out alright after the slight mishap
      02-28-2014, 07:20 PM   #10
DJR751
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i coupe

I’m also going thru that right now. I want to try to see if there’s anything blocking the movement of the adaptive headlight motor, but putting that back plate cover back on is nearly impossible for me.
Just wondering if you have any tips for putting the back-plate back on. I took it off a few months ago - couldn’t get it to fit all the way (especially the two tabs on the bottom) and it caused a lot of condensation build-up. I was also thinking it could be the ballast or the control unit???
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 08:31 PM   #11
kegobass
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR751 View Post
I’m also going thru that right now. I want to try to see if there’s anything blocking the movement of the adaptive headlight motor, but putting that back plate cover back on is nearly impossible for me.
Just wondering if you have any tips for putting the back-plate back on. I took it off a few months ago - couldn’t get it to fit all the way (especially the two tabs on the bottom) and it caused a lot of condensation build-up. I was also thinking it could be the ballast or the control unit???
Yeah, the covers are a big pain in the butt, no doubt. I literally spent hours messing with them.

My advice is to drop the cover in and ensure the bottom clips are in first. This is paramount. Also, while doing this, ensure the metal cable for the HID is safely inside the cover's bottom lip. I had to use a pair of needlenose plyers to pull up on that cable while I ensured the bottom clips made it in. Ensure the metal fastener clips for the cover on the side are out of the way but secure before putting the cover back in. I had the damn things fall out quite a few times and had to start all over again as those things are not in easy to find places and forget about reattaching them with the cover in the way.

The driver's side is the easier side so start with that one first so you get the feel of how the whole thing is put together and operates. On the passenger side, you will need to gently move the pipes on the right side while you push the metal cover bracket out of the way as well as align the cover. Don't be afraid of doing this-- they'll bend a little bit for you to get the job done.

I hope this helps. This is something I don't ever look forward to doing again in the near future but honestly once you spend some quality time on it, you'll see how it all works and it's actually not that bad.B

Best of luck! Let us know how you make out.
Appreciate 0