BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-10-2012, 06:55 PM   #1
M34lnch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 440i

Squeaky brakes, need advice

Hi Everyone,
My front breaks are unbearably squeaky noisy. I took the car to Santa Monica BMW who refused to do anything, saying they are functioning fine. (Never going back to that awful dealer.) Then I went to BMW of Beverly Hills, who a least acknowledged the problem and performed a complimentary chamfer (which is some sort of filing of the pads) which seemed to helped for a few days but now it's back and very loud. They are not going to do more.

Anyone else have this issue and how did you solve it?
And if you are going to recommend aftermarket pads, please tell me which you chose and why.
Thanks!

My car is a 2011 135i cp.
      02-10-2012, 07:30 PM   #2
daMau
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Similar situation. At first dealer refused to do anything, stating it was normal. Eventually they drove it and acknowledged the noise. Turns out the pad sensor was not installed correctly, so it was rubbing on the rotor. Plastic on metal. Since it was all fixed I have had no squeezing for 10000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 08:42 PM   #3
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I'm getting fed up with the terrible squeaking as well. My dealer said the same as most... Yeah they just squeak... I'm going to bring it back and demand they look into the pad sensor.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 10:47 PM   #4
djpeetur
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

take off pad sensor and ziptie it somewhere. solves everything
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 01:34 AM   #5
sonicbimmer19
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 and F32

My front brake pads made squealing noise once a while but BC said I still had 10,000 miles. I took my car in anyway to South Bay BMW and they replaced the pads and sensors for me.
South Bay BMW has been great so far, they've fixed every problem I've had with my car. Except last time when they scratched the S*** out of my car which I was pretty upset about.
Take your car to South Bay BMW, I'd be shocked if they refuse to replace your pads. Ask for Marc Pizzuto.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 07:01 AM   #6
dtwyim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW no more

At what mileage or pad wear do you guys start getting the squeak? Does the squeak start soft and become more intense? It is limited to front or back?

The reason I am asking is because I just noticed mine squeaks periodically and is not that bad right now. Just wondering if the squeak is expected to get worse with more pad wear?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 07:15 AM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwyim View Post
At what mileage or pad wear do you guys start getting the squeak? Does the squeak start soft and become more intense? It is limited to front or back?

The reason I am asking is because I just noticed mine squeaks periodically and is not that bad right now. Just wondering if the squeak is expected to get worse with more pad wear?

Thanks
My pads started to squeak when the BC said I had 40K kms left. After that, say when the BC said 30K kms left... they really became noisey!

The only cure for noisey brakes are new brakes! New rotors and pads and sensors. OE pads are ok at first... but when they get to half pad life... they too will start to squeak. I went with OE pads because I like the way they feel when cold. The way the BMW pads bite when cold is really nice. Lots of people seem to like Ferrodo street pads though. Or maybe go with some ceramic based pads. ? I went with OE because of the feel/bite and I heard that in 2011 BMW changed the pad compound to produce less dust.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 07:22 AM   #8
dtwyim
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
My pads started to squeak when the BC said I had 40K kms left. After that, say when the BC said 30K kms left... they really became noisey!
My BC says I have 100,000km left. I wonder if mine is squeaking for a different reason?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 07:27 AM   #9
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
My BC says I have 100,000km left. I wonder if mine is squeaking for a different reason?
Did you ever have your brakes replaced?

I think after I replaced my brakes and reset the BC it started at 80K kms. ? I can't be sure of that though. Now the BC is at 60k and I get a little squeal now and then when coming to a full stop. But now I have Performance rotors - so I think those rotors are harder on pad life.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 07:35 AM   #10
dtwyim
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Did you ever have your brakes replaced?

I think after I replaced my brakes and reset the BC it started at 80K kms. ? I can't be sure of that though. Now the BC is at 60k and I get a little squeal now and then when coming to a full stop. But now I have Performance rotors - so I think those rotors are harder on pad life.
Original brakes. The car only has 42,000km on it. Does cold weather have anything to do with squeaking?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 09:14 AM   #11
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Original brakes. The car only has 42,000km on it. Does cold weather have anything to do with squeaking?

Only thing I can think about cold weather might be the salt on the roads - causing more brake noise. But I doubt it. Usually brakes don't make much noise cold, they have to be hot - like when doing a lot of stop and go traffic.

Do your rotors have a "lip" to them? Feel the rotor surface with the tip of your finger(when the brakes are cold!)... if there is lip at the edge of the rotor's surface... more than say 2mm's or 3mm's - then you could use new rotors. I would just put on some new rotors and pads (& wear sensors) if it were my car.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 09:32 AM   #12
M34lnch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I live in Southern California, so no cold weather here. My mileage is 18,000mi currently. My squeaking seems to be only on the front wheels. And the squeaking started very early, around 9-10k miles maybe earlier. And by "BC" do you guys mean On Board Computer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeetur View Post
take off pad sensor and ziptie it somewhere. solves everything
Dipeetur, when you take off the sensor, do you get a warning light on the dash constantly?
      02-11-2012, 09:37 AM   #13
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M34lnch View Post
I live in Southern California, so no cold weather here. My mileage is 18,000mi currently. My squeaking seems to be only on the front wheels. And the squeaking started very early, around 9-10k miles maybe earlier. And by "BC" do you guys mean On Board Computer?

Dipeetur, when you take off the sensor, do you get a warning light on the dash constantly?

Yes. Sorry, I should not have abbreviated.

IF you run no sensor the warning light will be on. But all you have to do is replace the sensor or crimp the wires on the old sensor( by cutting the wires on the old sensor and splice them together to complete the electrical circiut.) There is one sesnor on the drivers front wheel and one on the right rear wheel.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 09:39 AM   #14
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
My brakes have been squeaking since the day I picked it up, new.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 04:31 PM   #15
dtwyim
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Do your rotors have a "lip" to them? Feel the rotor surface with the tip of your finger(when the brakes are cold!)... if there is lip at the edge of the rotor's surface... more than say 2mm's or 3mm's - then you could use new rotors. I would just put on some new rotors and pads (& wear sensors) if it were my car.
No lip, Dackel. They are pretty smooth.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 05:06 PM   #16
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
No lip, Dackel. They are pretty smooth.

Well... brakes squeal because the rotor either gets groves and causes teh pads to vibrate or the disc gets glazed (by the brakes not being used hard, stop and go city driving) and that causes the pads to vibrate and squeal. So its either worn/groved rotors or glazed rotors.

Have you tried a few good hard stops to burn off the glazing?

I still think only new pads and rotors will get rid of this noise for you.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 07:20 PM   #17
JefryHorizon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bus Pass

I brought my car to the dealer last week and mentioned "squeaks" every now and then. They previously swapped out all the brake pads at 31k miles and now at 44k they said the brake sensors were in contact with the rotor and they managed to give me new front brake pads.. If OP would like to try out another dealer in hopes of dealing with this issue, I'd be more than glad to point you in the right direction.(at least for me so far)
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 06:58 PM   #18
M34lnch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks for this. It sounds like your pads were worn. Mine have 8mm left on them, and I have been to two dealers already. Do you think they were comment on my "dealer shopping" if I try a third one?
      02-15-2012, 08:05 PM   #19
borabora
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1 M

hi ,
my brakes started squeaking short after delivery . i thought it was normal since the manual said the brakes will perform at full potential afer a few hundred miles . i have this squeaking noise only when the car is coming to a stop . i stated this issue when bringing the car in for the 1200 miles service . my dealership could not duplicate that squeaking noise and stated " brakes perform as designed " . now the car has 4400 miles and the noise is still there . it does not really bother me since it's only audible when coming to a stop . i'll see for my next due service , in 11000 miles . if the noise is still there then i'll tell my SA it really bothers me ...
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 08:55 PM   #20
JefryHorizon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M34lnch View Post
Thanks for this. It sounds like your pads were worn. Mine have 8mm left on them, and I have been to two dealers already. Do you think they were comment on my "dealer shopping" if I try a third one?

Well, I got my car back today and according to the service log they're confirming what everyone else is saying about the sensor contacting the rotor due to a slightly warped rotor or uneven surface area. They replaced my front pads, said they didn't need replacing but they went ahead with it anyways. The rears they said had plenty of wear left. All 4 rotors were replaced as were the sensors. They also did a fluid flush since maintenance was due.

As a BMW owner especially in a newer model, you undoubtedly have the privilege to go "dealer service shopping". I originally purchased my pre-owned at Long Beach BMW/MINI, found 3 scrapes on the vehicle after purchase which led me to take her back. They fixed 1 of the 3 scratches and gave me some touch up paint for the other two. I live in Studio City and driving all the way down there didn't seem worthwhile anymore so per a friend's recommendation I started going to BMW Burbank. Starting off with a battery issue and rear tail lights flickering, they neglected to fix both issues. Next was New Century BMW which is a few miles from where I live, not as friendly as they should have been.. Finally I met a guy who used to work as a tech at Beverly Hills BMW, he recommended an SA there who has so far shown me nothing but good results regarding ANY issue I've ran into. However, this last visit, he was on a long vacation and had another SA fill in instead. At first I was very skeptical about getting anything done, but I was wrong. All my complaints were taken into consideration despite working with this SA for the first time. Goes to show its not just the SA or people you may know on the inside, its also the dealer and their choice of priority.. customer or BMW NA.

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 10:54 AM   #21
M34lnch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Who was your Service Advisor at Beverly Hills BMW?
      02-16-2012, 04:29 PM   #22
JefryHorizon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Paul is who I usually go to but Carmela was great as well despite her lack on knowledge on automotive mechanics.

Paul Sanhaphakdi
877-345-1888

Carmela Grammatico
877-345-1888

Good luck!! Looking forward to your results.
Appreciate 0