BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-17-2008, 12:30 AM   #23
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Calder has open practice on 23 July and of course Winton has open practice every Friday :smile:

No need to wait for special track days. Just need to "mount" a fire extinguisher somewhere (any all metal cheapie will do), strap the bonnet down (most people just tie a rope/tie down through a latch at the front of the bonnet to somewhere around the front bumper), wear neck to ankle clothing and helmet.

And whilst Calder can seem a bit short it has two long straights to test the power and brakes.
      07-17-2008, 12:44 AM   #24
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

If I am going to do some track testing, I prefer to do it at Sandown as I have a lot of data from this car already. I will ask Kev if I can sneak the car in for a few laps during lunch time this weekend.

Smarm, I can always go to my "private race track". Ie. Mountain Highway up Mt Dandenong late at night. And you can always simulate track driving by driving in lower gears so that you are always in the upper echelon of rev range!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 12:47 AM   #25
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Hang on a sec, this sat is the P1 drivers day isn't it? I might be going to it anyway for a 20 min Ford GT session.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 01:07 AM   #26
taiheung
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTNJNQ View Post
Dude, what the hell are you doing polluting our forums with that crap. Kidding

On a more serious note, ALS Performance gets the biggest thumbs up in Sydney - he's based in Rydalmere. After that (flame suit) is Bavariacars but good luck getting them to actually start and finish a project on time.

http://www.alsperformance.com.au/
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 01:25 AM   #27
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

I second Als Performance..

Went there for the dyno last month..

Had a good chat with him there..Really switched on, especially for BMW's as he has a track car aswell.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 02:02 AM   #28
jcw2006aus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

So should I wait to see what you WONT tell, before i purchase a tune from overseas? :iono: come on more info please PM maybe i wont tell.....
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 03:11 AM   #29
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

jcw2006aus, what are you buying overseas? Be careful with fault codes. What we have learn from our downpipe experience is that you may not get any check engine light, but you can still get fault codes when your dealer plug it in their computer (we have fixed that issue with the DP btw, it's just to do with the o2 sims). So even if you remove your piggy back, you will not get away with it. But I understand that there are a couple of tuners out there who now have piggy backs that doesn't throw any codes so you may be safe anyway.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 04:23 AM   #30
smarm
Worsier then Tupac dying.
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post

Smarm, I can always go to my "private race track". Ie. Mountain Highway up Mt Dandenong late at night.
Ah, the reason for adaptive headlights comes out! :w00t:

Yeah, the GT day is on sunday I think.

Quote:
If you write 'Wash Me' on my car, I'll carve 'Resuscitate Me' into your chest
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 05:55 AM   #31
Riss Racing
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 M5/E92 335/HUMMER H2

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarm View Post
Ah, the reason for adaptive headlights comes out! :w00t:

Yeah, the GT day is on sunday I think.
This is one of the spots I want to visit on my trip to AUS :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 06:21 AM   #32
airhead
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Suspension.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 06:48 AM   #33
andrew@southernBM
Rep
Drives: M2 G87, M4 G82

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSapphire View Post
Slightly OT -

but can Andrew or any Syd based 1'ers recommend a similar BMW performance shop up here?
Obviusly there are any number out there, but I'd love to find a local one who would have the same helpful and knowledgable attitiude as Andrew.

Cheers
Hey there,

Give Peak Performance a call and tell them i said you should talk to them. Nick or David.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 06:49 AM   #34
andrew@southernBM
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guran View Post
I've had some work done on my MINI by Peak Performance. They're very good and have been around for decades. Their specialty is BMWs and they have a car or two competing in the BMW Drivers Club championship. I will be keeping a close eye on what they can offer for the 135i.
I have dealt with them as well for Active Autowerke stuff and i'm sure they would be interested in the Riss Downpipes too.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 06:54 AM   #35
andrew@southernBM
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony@rissracing View Post
I know what its like having to keep things close to the vest. No need to explain too me.

However, the fact that you have no faults on first test phase is amazing. Was that with the DP on too? Did you have a chance to tune it with the DP or was this just a first baseline?
Hey Anthony, the adjustment harnesses came yesterday so i fitted those while i was testing my next mod on his car.

Nobody can keep a secret around here :iono:

The factory ECU has adaptive parameters and helps with adapting to the DP's anyway.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 07:39 AM   #36
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Meh, secrets are for non-sharing people. We are sharing and caring around here! Haha.

Andrew, I have done 120km now on the car, including a few hard launches on the side of the freeway tonight with Taka in the car haha. Due to technical issues, we were only able to get 5.7s for 0-100 with 175kg of human weight and 3/4 tank of fuel. The problem is we used this new device which took the speed from the car and we everytime we thought we had done 100kmh we slowed down. It showed we did 4.95s but then Taka realised later that it wasn't hitting 100kmh yet when he looked at the GPS data. I didn't get to the redline on second gear which means 5.7s would be done with a change to third. We will try it again another time. It was very difficult to launch too. Revving up to 2500rpm and getting wheel spin all the way through appears to work better than no wheel spin launch. I think a proper road (not gravelly side of freeway), and a proper launch would get us into sub-5 quite comfortably.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 08:01 AM   #37
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1///M

Quote:
It was very difficult to launch too. Revving up to 2500rpm and getting wheel spin all the way through appears to work better than no wheel spin launch. I think a proper road (not gravelly side of freeway), and a proper launch would get us into sub-5 quite comfortably.
:thumbup: Two fat kids having fun tonight :thumbup:

Me want a 135i now. .

It looks very impressive on this table.

But when we check the GPS data, when we are doing 100kph from the OBD data (ECU/Odometer speed), the GPS speed (which is more reliable me thinks, it is a 5Hz MTK chipset locking to 10 satellates, clear sky today) show we are only doing 89 kph. Talking about inaccuracy in instruments. It is nothing to do with the software. It is just what you believe. 5Hz is only 1/2 the performance of the Driftbox (10Hz), and these 2 difference, I think, is only 0.1 sec. Most 0-100kph done by manufacturer are done on ECU speed. I will say we could have done a sub-5~! :w00t:

Left (GPS speed - darker line: fastest run 99.9kph @ 5.70 sec); Right (you can see the difference between OBD/ECU speed and GPS SPEED)
      07-17-2008, 08:02 AM   #38
jcw2006aus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

I am tempted to go with JB3 once it has been released for a while....the juice box range has had very little issues, mainly installation issues. but I would be much more interested in something local...

Thanks.

Quote:
jcw2006aus, what are you buying overseas? Be careful with fault codes. What we have learn from our downpipe experience is that you may not get any check engine light, but you can still get fault codes when your dealer plug it in their computer (we have fixed that issue with the DP btw, it's just to do with the o2 sims). So even if you remove your piggy back, you will not get away with it. But I understand that there are a couple of tuners out there who now have piggy backs that doesn't throw any codes so you may be safe anyway.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 08:19 AM   #39
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Taka, we should have just posted the first table and be done with it. Lol
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 08:27 AM   #40
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw2006aus View Post
I am tempted to go with JB3 once it has been released for a while....the juice box range has had very little issues, mainly installation issues. but I would be much more interested in something local...

Thanks.
The chip I am testing isn't local, but my understanding is that there are only 2 in the world right now on customer cars. But the good thing is that I have a local support in Andrew and I would not do it any other way given it is a ECU mod. I know guys like Kris has a different view, but I will not compromise on this eventhough I know it will cost me a bit more money. It's worth it for the piece of mind.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 09:45 AM   #41
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1///M

Good news, I just emailed the developer of the software and he hinted that GPS lag will make the graph shifted to the right.

So you may be doing a sub 5 or flat 5!

We have to determine at what OBD speed, your GPS will = 100kph, say in constant cruisng. THEN, we know what time you are doing on that 4.95 sec run. Get it?
      07-17-2008, 01:38 PM   #42
Riss Racing
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 M5/E92 335/HUMMER H2

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew@southernBM View Post
Hey Anthony, the adjustment harnesses came yesterday so i fitted those while i was testing my next mod on his car.

Nobody can keep a secret around here :iono:

The factory ECU has adaptive parameters and helps with adapting to the DP's anyway.

Perfect!

I can't wait to see the results of all the testing. I have ALL the tunes. I swap them out almost daily. I'd love to add to my collection!

PS...Good luck with keeping something like that a secret
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 06:54 PM   #43
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by takahashi View Post
Good news, I just emailed the developer of the software and he hinted that GPS lag will make the graph shifted to the right.

So you may be doing a sub 5 or flat 5!

We have to determine at what OBD speed, your GPS will = 100kph, say in constant cruisng. THEN, we know what time you are doing on that 4.95 sec run. Get it?
Got it. Sounds like it is very close to 4.95s then. Because when I cruise at 100kmh, Tom Tom says about 98 or 99kmh. I will verify later today. If true, then it is very impressive with two reasonably heavy guys on board, crappy launch with wheel spin all the way through 1st gear etc. Next time we should lower the tyre pressure to 28psi for better launch traction as well (it's still on the 36psi we put on the track). Haha we are such kids!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 07:19 PM   #44
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

How good is that Wayne..

Very impressive indeed considering all of the negative factors ( your combined weight..lol..sorry ) listed above..:thumbup:
Appreciate 0