BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-02-2008, 11:51 PM   #45
aesthetect
form follows function
United_States
Rep
Drives: GC impreza

actually i believe he said it was on the to-do list and this idealistically follows with what we are hearing recently of bmw design intentions. in fact i believe his contention has remained the same with regard to this "Z2"..

from this very forum..
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 on 01-20-2008
Prepare to believe although you don't believe it but the next Z4 due at the close of 2008. Is a much more radical transformation than the previous car. whilst the option of two roofs will be effectively a (PREMIUM) first.
BMW are looking for the new Z4 to be the car that takes it to the establishment of course new technologies and features take their stress on every new model.

The announcement of a smaller Z2 will effectively target the best selling Mx-5 in its segment the car effectively will be as the chosen brief : An open top small performance car just pure unadulterated fun and agility . The highest voices are for something like the Z1 Roadster - something fresh and dynamic with the looks to back it up - effectively the back to basics roadster... BMW's interpretation of the Lotus Elise.

Small cars are making huge inroads in several markets whilst some do not embrace them fully ( A pheat the 1er Coupe and 1er Cabrio will be effectively used to change perceptions especially in the North American market).
Many do and that is where lies the growth to develop more models off the same platform ( Each Individually tweaked for character) and to expand sales across the world With the 1er we established that it could work unfortunately the progression of this series was limited as we had to have the establishment period to cement the 1er in the segment now the expansion is on and it proves how the genius of marketing works with the right product.
BMW foreseen that the C segment would offer substantial growth if the brand adapted to change their own position when many were not so sure and just wanted to keep on building Premium top level cars in which Rover would be the miracle, the growth The stability.
you may choose not to believe him, he is not going to defend himself. his track record has been good enough that I take it as the best inside source available, take it as you will. i also wouldnt bet my life savings on something he has said. people, like those that make up the executive branch of bmw, do change their mind and markets obviously fluctuate vastly as well.

but please don't knock him, i want to hear what he (eventually) says about the notion of a M120 CS seeing production and especially seeing the US market or not.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 02:03 AM   #46
Twisted
TwistedHouse
Rep
Drives:

I checked the new posts so my apologies if i overlooked this

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Se...ontent-block=0

Basically it says NO M version of the 1er and tii version is go go go for 1er and 3er...
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2008, 02:43 AM   #47
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted View Post
I checked the new posts so my apologies if i overlooked this

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Se...ontent-block=0

Basically it says NO M version of the 1er and tii version is go go go for 1er and 3er...
That same article also backs up that upcoming models release list.

Quote from article:
"However, BMW plans for the tii models to be proper performance cars in the longer run. For instance, the next-gen 1-series, dubbed F20 and due in late 2011, will offer a tii version with a downsized twin-turbo four-cylinder petrol engine and a radically lighter body and chassis, we hear."

Scott26 are you still saying that list is incorrect and BMW is not going to follow the 7 year cycle for the 1-series.

Because everything I have heard is an all-new 1-series is due in 2011.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2008, 09:22 AM   #48
LeifW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1M AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesthetect View Post
but please don't knock him, i want to hear what he (eventually) says about the notion of a M120 CS seeing production and especially seeing the US market or not.
+1

Leif W.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2008, 10:31 AM   #49
-135i-
Registered
Rep
Drives:

i would want to see an M version simply because there is no limited slip differential on the 1, and the sunroof is standard in the US.

lsd is understandable, but a standard sunroof is what is stopping me from ordering a 1

also i dont think it would cost $55k. that puts it way too close to the M3
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2008, 10:51 AM   #50
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

I'd venture to say it'd be right around 50k. Which makes it no longer appealing to me. Personally, I don't race the car so I don't NEED a LSD. While the sunroof is pretty lame, I can deal with it. If nothing else I'm sure there will be a CF delete eventually.

Personally, I'm going to be content with my 135i as it's already a MUCH faster car than ANYONE needs on the street.

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2008, 07:14 PM   #51
aesthetect
form follows function
United_States
Rep
Drives: GC impreza

i dont know i just dont see the point of doing all of that, and succesfully justifying the inevitable price hike, with the same engine. unless its extremely limited production. and a really significant reduction in weight is seriously pricey without removing creature comforts.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 04:16 PM   #52
Joer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numb3rs View Post
Just read this over at E90Post. I am sure within 3 years we will see a new biturbo M-Powered car!
You were spot on!

Was just looking to see when 1M rumors started, more than 3 years ago...!

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 05:24 PM   #53
snowfro
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1991 318i

Haha this really threw me off a bit until I realized what the date was...
2004 x3 manual
2011 1m
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 01:13 AM   #54
M3Power79
Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 1M sold - M4 MW DKG ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowfro View Post
same over here
But there will be a true M135i in the 1 series F20
"... on the smiles-per-mile charts, the 1-series M coupe can't be beat. It is a challenging piece, a triple-X-rated driver's machine for semi-professionals. Its handling balance provides an open invitation to indulge in latent oversteer, and provides an opportunity to separate the men from the boys. It is an absolute hoot on the track and an addictive plaything on your favorite twisty back road. "
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 06:06 AM   #55
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Sold for a reptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowfro View Post

+1
Appreciate 0