BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-21-2011, 02:46 PM   #1
NjoyM
Registered
Umm al-Qaiwan
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 E92

Exclamation 1M True Market Value

Greetings fellow Addicts. As of today I’m a registered new member, but must confess voyeuristic behavior in following the threads for some time now. I’ve been a fiend for the 1 series for almost 2 years and am hoping my So Cal dealer will satiate my fix with an allocation of the 1M drug within the next few months. The wait has become excruciating…

From January I’ve had a $500 deposit down on a fully loaded 1M in AW at a LA dealership. According to my SA, I’ve now risen to the coveted #1 position on their wait list replacing their previous week’s first 1M allocation (the very fortunate 1st customer was issued a hard prod. # with delivery slated for late May or early June).

However, I’ve begun to seriously question just how fortunate will be the first 1M customers as we take delivery across America over the coming months. Our moments of truth will arrive while sitting across the table from the SA, and separating us, an ominous four-square containing some figures scribbled in a red Sharpie indicating some astronomical mark-up that we were originally assured would not be levied.

Which brings me to the ultimate point of this sticky; future 1M owners of America unite and make a stand on that fateful day – LET US ALL REFUSE TO PAY ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOVE STICKER!

Truthfully, my rant is double- edged; 1) rise up and resist price gouging and, 2) while doing so politely remind the SA, all hype and limited availability BS aside, that indeed the paperwork and registration will indicate that the vehicle your about to invest a portion of your hard earned salary and savings on is, after all, a MY2011 and that all 2011s are depreciating daily to invoice levels and below.

Years down the road, long after these short lived times of raging demand have been forgotten, a used 1M will still be a MY2011 on paper and will be valuated as such when it comes to re-sale or trade-in (for those that would be forced to part teary-eyed from their tired, old 1Ms at some unimaginable day in the distant future, right?).

Print out this Edmunds.com report, dated 20 April 2011, or print one out for yourself on-line before it is forcefully removed by blackhats at BMWNA , and place it on top of that four-square when your lucky day arrives.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 03:36 PM   #2
Fundahl
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M, 300zx TT

Thanks for this! I'm not letting my sales guy get anything more than what BMW suggests to sell for.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 03:44 PM   #3
Wild Bill
Old Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: JCW Clubman, 1M, 2007 Vette

Garage List
2007 Corvette  [0.00]
2011 1M Coupe  [10.00]
2010 MINI JCW Clubman  [10.00]
It is interesting that this data is supposed to be based on what people have paid for the car in the LA area, when not one car has been delivered, contract signed and money paid for one of these cars.

How then can this be historical data ?

WB
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 04:12 PM   #4
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Dont be naive guys, MSRP is 'suggested' retail. The dealers can charge a million dollars for the car if someone is will to pony up. The cars will sell at a nice markup in most cases. And most of those who will say only paid list are full of crap. After 6 months or so the prices usually drop and then at some point bargains may be had. Thats the way these things always go.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 04:24 PM   #5
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundahl View Post
Thanks for this! I'm not letting my sales guy get anything more than what BMW suggests to sell for.
Yup...thats why you get it in writing.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 06:57 PM   #6
AW 1M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by NjoyM View Post
LET US ALL REFUSE TO PAY ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOVE STICKER!
That seems to be a double negative saying we should all refuse to pay sticker or below.

I hope and believe that is not what you ment to say.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 08:00 PM   #7
Hairlesswookiee
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 STI

I really can't afford more than MSRP. I only plan on putting $5k for a down payment, and my monthly payments are still going to be a lot more than what I like to pay. I can make the payments, but I haven't had a car payment in 4 years so I'm just grumpy that I'll need to get back into it if I truly want this car.
      04-21-2011, 08:31 PM   #8
PyratOne
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe (Not an M1!)

I havnt posted in a while. I am a sad, dissapointed BMW customer.

I have purchased 3 previous BMW's, and I plan to stick with the brand (I cant help it). The 1M was to be my ultimate car.

I waited sideline for 4 years - 6 cylinder, light weight, aggressive stance, great balance, wiiiiiiiide track.

I was sold on the 1M Coupe. But, I cant get one of the damn things!!!

So, I did a cost comparison of 1M vs M3- check my posts if you dont believe me.

RIGHT NOW, M3 is cheaper, better financing rate, NOT at a premium. In a real world situation, the M3 is a better value. ED on a M3 sedan can be had for $52-53K people.

Believe me, I want a 1M. But the M3 is a bargain in comparison.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 08:43 PM   #9
darkvaderr
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1M ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyratOne View Post

I have purchased 3 previous BMW's, and I plan to stick with the brand (I cant help it). The 1M was to be my ultimate car.

I waited sideline for 4 years - 6 cylinder, light weight, aggressive stance, great balance, wiiiiiiiide track.

RIGHT NOW, M3 is cheaper, better financing rate, NOT at a premium. In a real world situation, the M3 is a better value. ED on a M3 sedan can be had for $52-53K people.

You're lucky you live in the states; even at 5k over msrp, a 1M would cost me considerably less than a comparable M3
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 08:47 PM   #10
PyratOne
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkvaderr View Post
You're lucky you live in the states; even at 5k over msrp, a 1M would cost me considerably less than a comparable M3
sorry for that, my canadian brother.

I bitch sometimes forgetting the advantage we have in the states, my apologies.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 09:23 PM   #11
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Quote:

Just out of curiosity, how do you get to this conclusion? The M3 you're describing is most likely a base model with cloth seats. If I'm wrong, please elaborate as I've been considering an M3 instead.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 09:28 PM   #12
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:

I have just about reached the same conclusion as you. A VERY well equipped E92 M3 is about $12K more than a 1M and becoming very tempting.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 09:35 PM   #13
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
I have just about reached the same conclusion as you. A VERY well equipped E92 M3 is about $12K more than a 1M and becoming very tempting.
12K over is not a bargain lol ... of course, this is all subjective, but I think I would prefer a fully loaded 1M for 54k than a shell + engine M3 for 52k.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 09:50 PM   #14
PyratOne
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post

I wouldnt say a "very well equipped" M3 for $53K.

What I am saying is an M3 sedan, competition package (because the 1M has the M3 comp package), metallic paint, is about $52-53K. Yes, cloth seats. But, personally I dont care. And I prefer the sedan vs coupe. Nor do I care about a moonroof (not standard on 1M). PLease note, this is a totally personal prefernce.

AND, (big "AND" here), this is ED price. You have pay for yourself to go to Bavaria, drink beer, drive the alps......rough I know.

Here was the clincher for me: current financing on M3 is 0.9% for loyalty customers. I have a current loan with BMW, I am a loyalty customer.

After the $500 CCA rebate, I will essentially get the loan for free!! Note: this ia a purchase situation, not lease

there will be arguments about price of 1M vs M3, but you really have to consider everything. chances are, most of us will finance at least a portion of a new car. 1M=4.9% OR M3=0.9%.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 10:00 PM   #15
PyratOne
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
12K over is not a bargain lol ... of course, this is all subjective, but I think I would prefer a fully loaded 1M for 54k than a shell + engine M3 for 52k.
YES! Absolutely preference. You have to weigh it all out. I give you MY preference purely as info for you to digest.

Beleive me, I want the 1M badly. It just fits the bill for me. But, I am unwilling to overpay for any car. Too many choices out there.

You know what, 1SeriesStud? In my own mind, I argue with myself about why I wanted an M-car. I have not been fortunate to own one before. The heart and soul of an M-car is the engine. NA V8, or FI I6? Is the V8 worth a couple extra grand? Totally preference. I still struggle with the decision andI would probably take the 1M if it wasnt at a premium with poor financing.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 10:06 PM   #16
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I wouldnt say a "very well equipped" M3 for $53K.
Right, that's why I said a "very well equipped M3" for $12K more than a loaded 1M.

Quote:
AND, (big "AND" here), this is ED price. You have pay for yourself to go to Bavaria, drink beer, drive the alps......rough I know.
Right, aggressive ED price is a must to get to these prices. I personally don't factor in travel costs to the equation, as that would be more of a "vacation" for me and the Mrs. (flight is free via miles).

Quote:
Here was the clincher for me: current financing on M3 is 0.9% for loyalty customers. I have a current loan with BMW, I am a loyalty customer.
Dang. With that rate, I wouldn't think twice. I don't have a current loan w/BMWFS. I was looking at 2.9% vs. 4.9% (1M) for 60mo.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 03:23 PM   #17
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

I think something wrong with Edmunds.com which they listed the true market value is almost $3,500 below MSRP. I don't think you can get one below MSRP.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 03:29 PM   #18
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by My135 View Post
I think something wrong with Edmunds.com which they listed the true market value is almost $3,500 below MSRP. I don't think you can get one below MSRP.
They're just using some standardized formula. There's no real data backing up their "TMV" in this scenario.
Appreciate 0