BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-13-2017, 04:11 PM   #1
Ronin135
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i, 6MT, M trim

Garage List
Bavsound

Well I upgraded my subwoofers with Bavsound Ghost subwoofers. Since buying and installing their 1st stage speaker system I've been impressed, so I thought I needed a little more kick. I found Bavsound was having a clearance on some items and found a pair of Ghost subs. For hundred bucks cheaper! Got them installed in 45 minutes and they really have a nice kick. Definitely worth it!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 09:36 PM   #2
Guardian
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3, 135is#190/586 (SOLD)

Did you have the Harmon Kardon system prior to the Bavsound?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 01:28 AM   #3
Ngo135is
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is, E92 M3, Audi AR

I have the Bav Sound speaker upgrade in my E92 M3......They are definitely an upgrade from the stock speakers. However, I do not see an upgrade for my 2013 135is on their site......I am getting a customer fiberglass box made to fit in the left corner of the trunk, giving me full access of the entire trunk. Will post pics after it is completed/installed/tested.....

Thx
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 05:29 AM   #4
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
I don’t see anything for the HK system for 135i either.

I honestly never heard of them before now. What kind of a speaker upgrade are these typically. It seems they are selling more on the convenience vs sound quality although sound quality is part of the marketing.

I actually like my HK system but sometimes feel the bass can be a little “muddy” especially when 808s are used in a particular track. And I wish I could tune the equalizer more than just treble and bass. Other than that I don’t have any complaints. I find that if I stream music via Bluetooth or USB from my iPhone, using the iPhone’s “treble booster” equalizer setting gets me closer to where I want the sound to be. Doesn’t help me with satellite radio or FM though. Those sound like crap to me no matter what I do.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 09:06 AM   #5
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I thought I was missing out when my car didn't come with the HK system. Part of my desire stems from when I had probably the first solid state amplifier HK made called the Citation B. I don't remember how I got my hands on it when I was in college. The sound quality was pretty darn good and readily apparent when it was used to substitute for a DJ amp that was clipping. With the change over you could immediately hear the sound quality improvement.

I don't profess to know a lot about the HK system but from my understanding the amplifier and various components are all tied together as a system which makes upgrading the HK system pretty much impossible.

So I suffered through the base system audio with the shrill distorted highs and some times out of control muddy bass which spilled over to the mid bass/vocals. I was doing some casual research here and there to see what options I had to upgrade the base system. I ran across the group buy on the Bimmertech amp. After reading replies from Technic and Nelson (from Bimmertech), I decided to follow their advice and upgrade the amp first. The amp is really an Audiotec Fischer PP82DSP. It has a built in DSP engine which allows you to EQ the overall system based on the cabin acoustics as the baseline. Then you can adjust the sound to what ever your tastes are. The amp tied me over for a while as there was an improvement.

Then I ran into a thread by GeoffS. He was relaying his experience getting his system professionally dialed in with Focal plug and play speakers designed for BMW cars. I read with interest his description of things and felt his musical tastes are very similar to mine; even more so after contacting him. He convinced me to find a set of Focals and I worked out a deal with him to obtain his sound file being he had spent money for his system to be dialed in. So the results after everything was done? Absolutely amazing. So far the best audio I've heard in a car environment. Highs are clear but not ear piercing. Vocals are natural and not muddy. Bass is tight and sharp with no boom or distortion. When comparing the system in my car to my reference which is the multichannel system I have in my house consisting of BMW Nautilus N804 speakers in an acoustically treated room, the system in my car measures up pretty well. It's not fully on par but it's still pretty good.

So in the end not having the HK system in my car turned out to be a blessing.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 02:34 PM   #6
Ronin135
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Bav Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
Did you have the Harmon Kardon system prior to the Bavsound?
No I didn't have the HK, just the Professional level. The 1st stage I got from Bav Sound really made a difference, then adding the Ghost sub woofer mad the whole system come together. Even without the subs the system was greatly enhanced !!! I'm not disappointed at all !
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 02:39 PM   #7
Ronin135
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
NGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngo135is View Post
I have the Bav Sound speaker upgrade in my E92 M3......They are definitely an upgrade from the stock speakers. However, I do not see an upgrade for my 2013 135is on their site......I am getting a customer fiberglass box made to fit in the left corner of the trunk, giving me full access of the entire trunk. Will post pics after it is completed/installed/tested.....

Thx
They have the Ghost sub woofer for the 135i @ Bav Sound. Easy install and far better than stock!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 02:41 PM   #8
Ronin135
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Bav Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
I don’t see anything for the HK system for 135i either.

I honestly never heard of them before now. What kind of a speaker upgrade are these typically. It seems they are selling more on the convenience vs sound quality although sound quality is part of the marketing.

I actually like my HK system but sometimes feel the bass can be a little “muddy” especially when 808s are used in a particular track. And I wish I could tune the equalizer more than just treble and bass. Other than that I don’t have any complaints. I find that if I stream music via Bluetooth or USB from my iPhone, using the iPhone’s “treble booster” equalizer setting gets me closer to where I want the sound to be. Doesn’t help me with satellite radio or FM though. Those sound like crap to me no matter what I do.
https://www.bavsound.com/?gclid=EAIa...SAAEgIj3PD_BwE

Here's the link....
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 03:53 PM   #9
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Still no 1 series HK option.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 05:01 PM   #10
BimmerAg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

I'm pretty sure "Premium (Top Hi-Fi)" is HK...wouldn't hurt to call/email to confirm though
      07-21-2017, 05:37 PM   #11
Ngo135is
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is, E92 M3, Audi AR

Talking Fiberglass Box completed...

Full trunk functionality.....SOUNDS Awesome
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-22-2017, 04:14 PM   #12
Ronin135
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Top Hi-Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerAg View Post
I'm pretty sure "Premium (Top Hi-Fi)" is HK...wouldn't hurt to call/email to confirm though
Top Hi Fi isn't HK...the Harmon Kardon will have an emblem on the speaker grille.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 04:40 PM   #13
Ronin135
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
Still no 1 series HK option.
I went to the web site and punched in thru their menu and found HK for series 1 coupe.

https://www.bavsound.com/Stage-One

[IMG][/IMG]

hope that helps
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 10:28 PM   #14
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Once you click there, it tells you it doesn’t exist.
Appreciate 0