BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-08-2013, 06:54 PM   #1
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

E88 specific exhaust hanger rattle

The E88 has two cross braces that run across the rear of the car. The very tip of an exhaust hanger contacts one of these braces under load, making an obnoxious rattle. A nice half inch of additional clearance would be optimal, im thinking metal washers at a brace mount or exhaust adjustment. Discuss!

Oh exhaust in sig fwiw.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 04:19 AM   #2
NORAGRETS
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP BSM 2012 E82 1

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
The E88 has two cross braces that run across the rear of the car. The very tip of an exhaust hanger contacts one of these braces under load, making an obnoxious rattle. A nice half inch of additional clearance would be optimal, im thinking metal washers at a brace mount or exhaust adjustment. Discuss!

Oh exhaust in sig fwiw.
i think 135i's are the same down below...i have the same knock on the X bar subframe under the exhaust, specifically the mid pipes where the resonators are...I am having my shop modify/customize them to stop knocking bc its driving me insane...i suggest doing the same, or if you or anyone knows some high heat resistant protection i would wrap that around the X bar to stop it clanking...
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 07:05 AM   #3
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

Can you describe this rattle? I have a 2011 135i vert, and I've had a minor rattle since new. It's actually kind of a light clunking noise - sounds like it's coming from the rear, but can't tell for sure. I hear it at low speeds, over any kind of rough pavement. When I go up the ramp in my garage, I definitely hear it. Thanks.
      07-09-2013, 07:50 AM   #4
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twhill19 View Post
i think 135i's are the same down below...i have the same knock on the X bar subframe under the exhaust, specifically the mid pipes where the resonators are...I am having my shop modify/customize them to stop knocking bc its driving me insane...i suggest doing the same, or if you or anyone knows some high heat resistant protection i would wrap that around the X bar to stop it clanking...
Ya ive tried high temp flute tape with modest success but it tears or doesnt stay in place. The rattle only occurs under low rpm and medium load, so im assuming some flex in the exhaust is causing this. I dont think modification to the exhaust is needed, more just what to move around.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 07:53 AM   #5
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinmagic View Post
Can you describe this rattle? I have a 2011 135i vert, and I've had a minor rattle since new. It's actually kind of a light clunking noise - sounds like it's coming from the rear, but can't tell for sure. I hear it at low speeds, over any kind of rough pavement. When I go up the ramp in my garage, I definitely hear it. Thanks.
Its a harsh rattle that occurs under medium load at lower rpms. The worst is if im at say 2K rpms in 5th or 6th, if I give it some load theres a pretty obnoxious rattle/resonance. Its very easily identifiable from the rear of the car, ive dealt with a downpipe rattle and the location of the noise was clearly from the front of the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 08:09 AM   #6
Bob Z.
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i Vert

You can space down the bracket (driver's side) with some washers for more clearance, which is what I, and many others, have done after an aftermarket cat-back was installed....much more prominent rattle on the convertibles but that will solve the problem. Also, make sure your tips are not hitting the valence as well, which will require stiffer rubber hangers in the rear so the tips don't move up & down as much.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 08:36 AM   #7
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Z. View Post
You can space down the bracket (driver's side) with some washers for more clearance, which is what I, and many others, have done after an aftermarket cat-back was installed....much more prominent rattle on the convertibles but that will solve the problem. Also, make sure your tips are not hitting the valence as well, which will require stiffer rubber hangers in the rear so the tips don't move up & down as much.
Perfect, thats what my plan was. Assuming run of the mill metal washers will suffice? Im not too worried about the diffuser, its been on for a year and ive never noticed any heat or contact issues. Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 10:19 AM   #8
Bob Z.
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
Perfect, thats what my plan was. Assuming run of the mill metal washers will suffice? Im not too worried about the diffuser, its been on for a year and ive never noticed any heat or contact issues. Thanks for the help.
I used aluminum washers...add a few to bring it down to clear the bracket. And you can wiggle it up & down to be sure you've added enough so you don't have to crawl back under it if it still hits after driving the first time.
Appreciate 0