BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-10-2011, 09:12 AM   #1
bluesunit
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: D-Stock 135i

Yellow BRAKE/DSC idiot lights coming on intermittantly

For the past month or so, I've had the brake and DSC lights coming on at startup. Typically, they clear after a restart and driving a bit. I've also had the situation occur during "aggressive" driving.

I've read that this can be caused by a bad steering angle sensor but a had a couple of other questions:

-Could anything else be causing this? I know I hit a pothole with a rear wheel that required a tire to be replaced, but I don't feel that my alignment is off.

-Is this a stored code? I don't want to play the "could not duplicate problem" game with the dealer.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 08:16 AM   #2
bimmerman14
bmw doctor
Rep
Drives: x7(kid hauler) 13 x550i 07328i

steering angle sensor is prob out of calabration (szL)
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 07:06 PM   #3
bluesunit
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: D-Stock 135i

Sorry for the late update.

Steering angle sensor is bad. The car won't hold a calibration. Going to be replaced under warranty on Tuesday.

Two weeks to get the initial appointment, two days to get the part in stock, two weeks to get an appointment to get it install. Lesson: never buy a car that only has one dealership in the area.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 01:54 PM   #4
Blue135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesunit View Post
For the past month or so, I've had the brake and DSC lights coming on at startup. Typically, they clear after a restart and driving a bit. I've also had the situation occur during "aggressive" driving.

I've read that this can be caused by a bad steering angle sensor but a had a couple of other questions:

-Could anything else be causing this? I know I hit a pothole with a rear wheel that required a tire to be replaced, but I don't feel that my alignment is off.

-Is this a stored code? I don't want to play the "could not duplicate problem" game with the dealer.

Thanks in advance for any info.
was your car going into limp mode along with this? In the past week I have had two incidents where I get the brake/dsc lights followed by CEL and limp mode. Shutting down and restarting has seemed to cure it, at least for a few. it's in the shop now
Appreciate 0