BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-02-2010, 11:49 PM   #1
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

MadDad(TM) Street Series: $499.95 limited offer

Hey folks,

We're opening the ordering door for our new MadDad(TM) EuroSport Street Series exhaust. This is MadDad(TM)'s entry into the "muffler-less" exhaust category. we've been working on this since January and went through a couple of product testing cycles to ensure we nailed the sound character of this exhaust so that we can exceed the expectations of what you think is possible without a muffler. By that I mean a perfectly respectable highway cruising manner. Its easy to just make a louder exhaust. Its much more difficult, time consuming and costly to design a louder exhaust that you don't have to constantly 'drive around' the bad spots in the rpm range to stop your brain from rattling inside the car cabin. This is critical to automatic owners unless they constantly paddle shift since the automatics generally drive in the rpm range that cause many of the muffler-less exhausts to drone.

From idle to 3000 rpm this exhaust is pure sound character. You won't need to shift into a different gear because your sick of the sound..regardless of the gear your in or the engine load. Above 3000 rpm it slowly grows into a beast and if you plant your foot to the floor and let it rip from 3000 to redline you will positively sound like an Italian exotic. Make no mistake though, this is a louder exhaust all the time. We make the Whisper series for those that want sporting sound character with OEM sound levels inside the car cabin. The Street series is for those of you who want it louder..both inside the car cabin and out, but also want a level of design refinement in the sound. The fact that you won't have to hunt for a different gear to get out of the drone in the lower rpm range is full testament to that. If you've searched these forums then you know many if not all of the muffler-less style exhausts have some issue in the 1800-2500 or so rpm range. I can tell you this..you'll want to troll around town in that rpm range all day long in EuroSport Street series.

In the pre-production photo below the exhaust looks like a straight through pipe..which it mostly is, but we designed a custom inner baffle that allowed us to modify and tune the sound to our requirement and our customers expectations. Its taken 6 months to get this done, and much of it was due to the refinements that needed to be incorporated after our first test unit failed to deliver the refinement we needed in the lower rpm range. So if you've waited it out for a louder muffler-less style exhaust..kudos to you. Your system is now ready to pre-order

General Specs:
100% Made in the U.S.A
T304 Stainless Steel piping
T304 Stainless Steel Double Walled Tips
Hand TIG Welded
MadDad(TM) TuneCore inner baffle delivers low rpm refinement unexpected in a muffler-less design exhaust

Retail: $599.95
Pre-Order: $549.95
First 6 orders $499.95 by using COUPON CODE: FIRST6

As always, we don't charge your credit card until the week the units are shipping.

PRE-ORDER LINK

So get your orders in now and take advantage of the $499.95 price. I'm heading out of town for vacation for the week so I won't be able to get back to post replies till next sunday. In the meantime some pre-production pics and a quick video...only highlights lower rpm cruising. I'll have more to come when I get back. We are expecting to ship units first week of August.

07-03-2010, 01:11 AM   #2
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '04 330i ZHP

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [9.50]
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
I think I'd like to hear it get pushed a little harder on video before I decide if I like this or not.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 09:24 AM   #3
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
that looks like a REALLY REALLY expensive muffler delete.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 09:26 AM   #4
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UdubBadger View Post
I think I'd like to hear it get pushed a little harder on video before I decide if I like this or not.
same here, i would love to hear some WOT runs
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2010, 01:52 PM   #5
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Just got back from vacation...great week. Although I have a pile of work to due I wanted to post another quick clip. Car has been sitting for a week so hear is a cold startup with a few qick revs to about 3K. I'll get some high rpm driving clips posted as soon as I can but it might be a day or two.

In regards to it seeming like a real expensive muffler delete, its price is very much inline with the rest of the similar setups out there that are T304SS only this isn't a simple muffler delete like most of the others. Time was taken to develop a custom inner baffle to tune the sound in ways a normal muffler delete could never do...but I am glad you mention it because its a reminder to everyone that this isn't just a simple muffler delete. Its like a muffler in that it has an inner baffle to tune the sound but its louder than the typical muffler because you don't have the exhaust packing "muffler" area that absorbs much more of the overall volume. In an effort to give folks a "louder" exhaust that still has a level of refinement in the cabin we removed the exhaust packing and reworked the inner baffle to deal with the fact there is nothing else to tune the sound. We tried it without the baffle and you just don't get a level of refinement in the lower rpms(highway cruise). That is a complaint with many other muffler deletes. While our system mike look similiar, its quite different. This is a pretty unique offering that a lot of customers are going to be very very happy with.

R.
      07-13-2010, 06:42 PM   #6
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddad View Post
I'll get some high rpm driving clips posted as soon as I can but it might be a day or two.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 10:40 PM   #7
Vaaaan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Jet Black 135i

I took the plunge, one of the first six
I used to have a WRX and almost got a Maddad exhaust for it but they were still pretty new at the time so I went with a more well known company. I just started looking at exhausts this week and when I saw that Maddad started making them for the 135, combined with the fact that they're still in business since I had my rex, it seemed like a sign
I'll be sure to make a before and after video when it arrives. Can't wait!
      07-14-2010, 04:09 PM   #8
vwown3d
New Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

what kind of time spand until these are in production and sent out.?
      07-14-2010, 04:44 PM   #9
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by express705 View Post
that looks like a REALLY REALLY expensive muffler delete.

x2!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 05:52 PM   #10
theanhdy
Major
Rep
Drives: 135i

Maybe $300 for the first 3? lol oh well worth a try
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 10:09 PM   #11
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theanhdy View Post
Maybe $300 for the first 3? lol oh well worth a try
hehe...I'd buy all of them at that price. A good amount below what we are paying to manufacture them here stateside. We could make them for $140 a pop if we sent them to the land where coffee mugs are made, but we make these exhausts here in the U.S because the engineering experience needed to make them sound the way we require is with our U.S manufacturing partner we've worked with for the past 7+ years and its not worth throwing our brand reputation out the door just to bring down our manufacturing cost and consumer cost. I would much rather continue to built our products to a standard(sound, fitment, materials, welds) rather than a price. For some brands price is the first requirement and if the exhaust somewhat fits they make it and sell it and give the manufacturing to the lowest cost country that can make it.

We could make this exhaust cost less easily. Switch to T409 rather than T304 for the exhaust piping, make the flanges mild steel, switch to MIG welds rather than TIG welds, forget about the custom inner baffle that no can see on the outside(and bring back the unbearable drone) which would eliminate a good portion of the cost...but then we wouldn't be building the exhaust to a quality standard we'd be building it to a price standard first...so none of that will every happen.

Still, I have to say at $499 or even $549 this isn't much different from any of the other brand "muffler-less" designs(regardless of where they are built) that are out there and I would challenge anyone to install a straight pipe or any other brand of "muffler-less" desing that has the low rpm quality our exhaust has.

I've seen plenty of posts on this board in regards to droning muffler-less straight pipe exhausts and I've seen people selling their exhausts because the drone is not to a tolerable volume or frequency. When the drone is too much your constantly driving around it, shifting gears when you normally would like to just leave it or if your an automatic owner your going to manual mode to get out of the drone zone your car is almost always in. I can tool around in the those troublesome 1800-2500 rpm range all day long in any gear with any load. It's louder no doubt, but never so bad that I need to switch gears..and I'm more picky about this than most drivers. It has passed my wife test, and don't laugh...my 6 year old girl and 8 year old boy test who are often in the back seats on long drives. My opinion is the best value(vs lowest cost) exhaust is the one you don't want/need to replace.

vwown3d - about this time next month they should be shipping.

Happy Driving..

R.
      07-15-2010, 07:30 AM   #12
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
any chance of singled wall tips, kinda like the 1st gen whisper series?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 10:21 AM   #13
1013mm
aka 1013MM
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: pokingly flush

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by escobar929 View Post
any chance of singled wall tips, kinda like the 1st gen whisper series?
From what I undrstanf double wall tips are crucial to the sound issue
      07-15-2010, 11:59 AM   #14
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhang View Post
From what I undrstanf double wall tips are crucial to the sound issue
the resonator sits inside the tips but I dont understand why they have to be double wall. maybe it would just look bad w/ single wall tip and the resonator inside
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 09:34 PM   #15
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

High rpm sound clip

Hey guys,

Some things to clear up. One in this final version of the exhaust we actually eliminated the resonated tips...yes they are still double walled but ultimately we did all the sound tuning with our own designed inner baffle within the exhaust pipe. I'm very happy with the results. This exhaust positively screams at the higher rpms but will meet most peoples requirements for cabin refinement. The Whisper is still the ultimate in cabin refinement, but this Street Series meets my requirements and expectation for a "louder" exhaust and relative to the market this is designed for(those of you who want it louder) your going to be quite happy with the sound quality inside the cabin.

The switch to the double walled tips was my decision. We'll never be able to please everyone unfortunatley, but when I consider the car the exhaust is installed on I feel a double walled tip has a richer more luxurious appearance while still plenty sporty. When you look at Porsche, Ferrari, AMG, and various other high dollar sports cars, they most always have double walled tips. So in an effort to stop driving our fabrication shop nuts I've standardized on the same double walled tips on both the Street series and the recent batch of Whisper series.

Now if your looking for a single wall look, we are going offer a few of these with the carbon fiber tips. They are single wall but there will be a smaller inner tip within each that will be stainless steel ceramic coated to help keep some of the heat away from the clear coat on the carbon fiber tips.

Here is the clip a lot of you have been waiting for...some high rpm blasts.
      07-20-2010, 11:53 PM   #16
Vaaaan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Jet Black 135i

Sweeeet, if it sounds that good through a crappy mic with lots of background noise I can't wait to hear it in person!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddad View Post
The switch to the double walled tips was my decision.
Good decision

Still on track for the first week of August? (you don't have to answer that I'm just excited )
      07-21-2010, 12:00 AM   #17
1013mm
aka 1013MM
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: pokingly flush

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.26]
wow im surprised! think we can cut off the tips and weld our own on without messing up the exhaust note??
      07-21-2010, 12:08 AM   #18
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhang View Post
wow im surprised! think we can cut off the tips and weld our own on without messing up the exhaust note??
Should make no real difference in sound since the tips are no longer resonated. All of the sound tuning is being done inside the exhaust even though it looks like a plain pipe.

Vaaaan - at the moment I would say yes we are still on track..although my experience tells me these things are moving targets until the day we ship...but right now all things look good.

R.
      07-21-2010, 11:31 AM   #19
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
damn, may have to wait till the CF tip. I really wanted a single wall tips, mostly for the reasons you went against it. I like my exhaust to have a mean, aggressive look as well as sound. Double walled tips just looks too stock IMO but im sure thats why some like it

plz change your mind, ill pay now
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 02:56 PM   #20
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

You guys are killing me , let me see how much of a pita factor it will be to tool up a few with the origonal single wall tips. No promises but I'll let you know.

R.
      07-22-2010, 09:08 AM   #21
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
thanks! much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 09:43 AM   #22
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

It sounds very much like my aFe, which is good cause I like mine very much. I think single wall tip is better suited for performance car while doulbe wall tip is for sedan. If I havn't bought my aFe, I would buy this together with Maddad's mid-pipes (which I lover it).
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0