BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-19-2008, 09:38 AM   #177
Jimmythepage666
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 sgm 135i

I live in austin and there are some very cool roads through the hill country and around lake travis. In fact when I test drove the 135i before I ordered my own the salesman let me drive on old spicewood springs road which is a 2 mile series of switchbacks and straits... I couldnt beleive how fast he let me drive it through those corners...

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2008, 10:27 AM   #178
MatthewDFW
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '02 X5

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwzone View Post
Any twisties in the DFW area?
My North Texas favs are north of DFW in a wide area bounded by Denton on the West (near I-35), Whitesboro on the North, and McKinney on the East (near US-75/69). Lots of good, twisty, (lightly-patrolled) state highways. Most of the roadbeds are in great condition; some are in pristine condition!

Plus... there is, in particular, one flat-as-a-pancake five mile straightaway not far from Aubrey, TX - freshly repaved - that's great fun for... er... uh... increasing our dependence on foreign oil.

I aim to post some proposed route maps (a few, I inherited from Porsche Club here) and nag some other DFW-area folks into meeting up for snaking through a few miles en masse. Would be great for meet-and-greet as well as outstanding photo ops. Tally ho.
===============
Our wee twin turbos may be smallish, but they doth mashie yon backside deeply seatwise.
===============

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2008, 11:04 AM   #179
BimmerKid87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Any twisties in the DFW area? I've found the roads very high quality compared to MI for sure and really look forward to being able to enjoy this machine year-round not having to worry about snow!
Drive around the back roads of Westlake...near Fidelity and Vaquero. It's a bit more rural (and windy) than Keller/Southlake.
      10-19-2008, 08:09 PM   #180
bmwzone
Captain
Rep
Drives: Black 5.0 (ordered), 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerKid87 View Post
Drive around the back roads of Westlake...near Fidelity and Vaquero. It's a bit more rural (and windy) than Keller/Southlake.
I work right in that area those are nice roads (and awesome homes) -- lots of ticket-happy PO-LICE though.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2008, 08:25 PM   #181
BimmerKid87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I work right in that area those are nice roads (and awesome homes) -- lots of ticket-happy PO-LICE though.
Haha yeah, I have some friends that live in Vaquero / get me past security.....its pretty nice. I dunno if you have any daughters, but the Jonas Brothers live in there.
      10-19-2008, 08:35 PM   #182
Ron H
Private
Rep
Drives:

Houston
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2008, 04:40 PM   #183
Texasgirl
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerKid87 View Post
Watch out for a HUGE pothole just before 170 merges with 114 at Trophy Club. Far right lane before the merge. I got a flat there the other day. Joy. Very glad I got the extended tire warranty. A new tire would have cost about $450.00. Mind you, not a true flat (with the run flats) but the tire was ripped on the side and had to be replaced. The run flats themselves worked great, got me to Autobahn no problem.
Cold Weather Pkg
Ipod/USB
Black Boston Leather
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 12:47 PM   #184
kingnonis
**1er Lover**
Rep
Drives: my gf insane

Angry

Nooooob here in midtown Houston. Anyone recommendations on roads in or around the area where I can merge my soul with my car's engine, and not be turboblocked by the horrid traffic in this city?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 10:23 PM   #185
HIPSI
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Gotta head north. Hwy 249 to 149 to the Lake Conroe area has some nice FM routes. Check out this site when traveling a bit further:

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/route...X/TX_index.htm
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 10:21 AM   #186
redwood
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1999 BMW 328i

Maybe somebody can put together a google maps route and then give us a tinurl link to it? I would love to know exactly where the good driving roads are in DFW.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 11:27 AM   #187
MatthewDFW
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
Maybe somebody can put together a google maps route and then give us a tinurl link to it? I would love to know exactly where the good driving roads are in DFW.
I'm in the process of doing just that! For starters, there's one particular stretch of road in North Texas, US-455, that comes highly recommended.

By popular consensus, 455 provides a real good "driver-friendly" stretch (i.e., good roadbed, no loose gravel, lightly patrolled, good scenery). The drawback is that I don't have a full loop plotted - yet; this means you have to find your own best route to the start point in Montague, TX.

The stretch ends at US-380 at the current northern terminus of the North Dallas Tollway, which makes for quick access back to town. Or, you can just as easily head West on 380 and go back toward DFW via I-35.

Here's a live hyperlink to the route plotted on Google Maps...
http://************/5kqgoo

Start Point: Montague, TX - Small town NW of Ft. Worth at JCT of 175 / 59 / 1806 (just south of Nocona, TX)

...take 455 South out of Montague
...through Slidell
...through Sanger
...across I-35
...briefly link up to Northbound 377 near Pilot Point, TX
...continue on Eastbound 455 out of of Pilot Point
...continue to Celina, TX
...take Southbound 289 out of Celina
...follow 289 south to US-380

This stretch covers nearly 80 miles, and runs about 2-1/2 hours.

Plenty of good stops for food along the way. Clark's BBQ in Tioga, TX (just North of Pilot Point on 377) is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED.

As of Nov 8th, here was still some good tree color near the bluffs overlooking Lake Ray Roberts.

Put the word out! I'd be happy to join up any 1-Series convoys looking to do the drive. I'm up that way several times a week.
===============
Our wee twin turbos may be smallish, but they doth mashie yon backside deeply seatwise.
===============

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 06:11 PM   #188
bmwzone
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
I'm in for a 1 group ride on this road! How's it for a sports-bike?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 07:30 PM   #189
MatthewDFW
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm in for a 1 group ride on this road! How's it for a sports-bike?
Funny you should ask... One of the first online references I found recommending 455 was a favorable "twisty roads" review posted on a motorcycle touring forum. I guess a good road is a good road.

For what it's worth, when I first moved up here, I had my doubts about finding good roads in the DFW area for weekend motoring. Lots and lots of flat and straight, if you know what I mean. But some of the state highways along the south side of the TX/OK state line have a lot to offer; I've been here six years, and I'm only now starting to scratch the surface.

There is fun driving between Aubrey, TX and Celina, TX. Very new roadbeds and practically no traffic. Some good curves - and - at least one favorite 4-mile straightaway just perfect for spirited motoring.
===============
===============

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 09:03 PM   #190
kingnonis
**1er Lover**
Rep
Drives: my gf insane

Sweet site HIPSI...ill give some of these around the Houston area a try as soon as the sun pops out of these friggin clouds! :w00t:
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 10:21 PM   #191
bmwzone
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewDFW View Post
Funny you should ask... One of the first online references I found recommending 455 was a favorable "twisty roads" review posted on a motorcycle touring forum. I guess a good road is a good road.

For what it's worth, when I first moved up here, I had my doubts about finding good roads in the DFW area for weekend motoring. Lots and lots of flat and straight, if you know what I mean. But some of the state highways along the south side of the TX/OK state line have a lot to offer; I've been here six years, and I'm only now starting to scratch the surface.

There is fun driving between Aubrey, TX and Celina, TX. Very new roadbeds and practically no traffic. Some good curves - and - at least one favorite 4-mile straightaway just perfect for spirited motoring.
I'm having my 08 CBR shipped here from Motown hopefully by Dec1 looking forward to trying this road out!

Even better, get together with some more 1 *groupies* and get a meet and drive set up!

PS Matt - how do you like the BMW Performance Exhaust - I got my quote for $1200 installed. Seems reasonable. Is it just for sound?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 11:41 PM   #192
MatthewDFW
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm having my 08 CBR shipped here from Motown hopefully by Dec1 looking forward to trying this road out!

Even better, get together with some more 1 *groupies* and get a meet and drive set up!

PS Matt - how do you like the BMW Performance Exhaust - I got my quote for $1200 installed. Seems reasonable. Is it just for sound?
First off, I hope you enjoy 455 - regardless of the number of wheels under your seat!

I do look forward to getting a good-sized bunch of 1-ers together for a mass roll through that neck of the woods. If the numbers are there, the photo ops alone would put other regional groups to shame!
:biggrin:
re. Perf Exhaust... Opinions vary on this, but IMO, it is one of the two best options I have on my 1 (the other being the short-throw stick). Yes, I do love the sound... but there is a modest - but documented - boost to HP (approx +12hp on my before and after dyno tests).

These forums abound with accounts of other OEM/aftermarket exhaust mods that have been applied to 1s, with varying degrees of satisfaction. Suffice it to say that there are some awfully good options available for anyone comfortable with going outside the context of BMW hardware.

Obviously, the perfect place to start - if you have not already done so - is the 135i Turbo Engine (N54), Exhaust and Drivetrain Modifications forum...

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32

All I can say is I love mine, and would strongly recommend it to new 135i owners.
===============
===============

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 12:49 PM   #193
bmwzone
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Thanks Matt. I've been scouring the 135i Turbo Engine (N54), Exhaust and Drivetrain Modifications forum for weeks off and on and since I don't change my own oil, let alone want to muck with my car and screw it up, the BMW Performance Exhuast seems like the one to go with for $1200 or less. I haven't finalized negotiations yet.

Here's a loop that might be fun - some highway but the areas between sanger-pilot point-celina look like they'd be great. Also cutting over from lewisville-flowermound on the local highways is nice from my drive there a few months ago.

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 08:19 PM   #194
MatthewDFW
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Here's a loop that might be fun - some highway but the areas between sanger-pilot point-celina look like they'd be great. Also cutting over from lewisville-flowermound on the local highways is nice from my drive there a few months ago...
Good luck with whatever exhaust option you decide upon. Again, I'm pretty fond of mine.

Your loop looks pretty darned good. And I do agree that Sanger-Pilot Point-Celina is lots of fun. You may already be alerted to the presence of highly-motivated local law enforcement in Frisco along 289/Preston and on I-35 through Corinth and Hickory Creek. Ka band mostly (not much laser around unless you are on G.Bush or D.N.Tollway).

The thought occurred to me that we may have neglected some of the state highways SOUTH of Dallas. Certainly, Ovilla Road (FM-664) can be fun. Hopefully, some other folks will chime in with a few personal faves.

An ambitious drive might be a state-highway loop completely around the DFW metro area. This notion got me wondering how far out you'd have to circumnavigate DFW to avoid congestion... Food for thought.

And, speaking of FOOD, extending a twisty roads route to go through Wylie, TX (near Sachse) would, of course, allow for tremendous vittles at Ballard Street Cafe. If you've never been there, please consider it. An apple pie slice of genuine old time Americana (and great breakfasts... any time of day).
===============
===============

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 09:37 PM   #195
bmwzone
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewDFW View Post
You may already be alerted to the presence of highly-motivated local law enforcement in Frisco along 289/Preston and on I-35 through Corinth and Hickory Creek. Ka band mostly (not much laser around unless you are on G.Bush or D.N.Tollway).
I *am* aware of the highly-motivated local law enforcement in Southlake. 82 in a 65 just last week!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 05:12 PM   #196
MatthewDFW
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Unhappy

Quote:
I *am* aware of the highly-motivated local law enforcement in Southlake. 82 in a 65 just last week!
Dude! Sorry to hear that - always a bummer. What road were you on? Laser or radar?
===============
===============

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 06:21 PM   #197
bmwzone
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
I was on 114 - first ticket - some lawyer sent me mail saying for $188 bucks he could pay it and get me 30 day probation so it wouldn't be on my Texas record at all if I didn't get another during that 30 days. Sounds too good to be true.

Have you considered joining a group to go down for the next Austin meet? They have a bunch of M3's M5's and 1ers get some serious respect as well I hear.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 09:42 PM   #198
MatthewDFW
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
I was on 114 - first ticket - some lawyer sent me mail saying for $188 bucks he could pay it and get me 30 day probation so it wouldn't be on my Texas record at all if I didn't get another during that 30 days. Sounds too good to be true.
I agree. Info for traffic violations is considered public, so it's no surprise that folks get hard-sell spammed by lawyers looking to "help" you settle. Best bet is to go for online safe-driving course to keep violation off record.

Quote:
Have you considered joining a group to go down for the next Austin meet? They have a bunch of M3's M5's and 1ers get some serious respect as well I hear.
Yes, but I might be socked in between now and first week of December. I have The Visigoths (in-laws... with kids) invading from the North for Thanksgiving, and must prep house for assault.
===============
===============

Appreciate 0