E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > this is killing me

08-29-2005, 01:21 PM   #45
Minarets
Private
Rep
Drives: maxima

i just hear horror stories about out of warranty BMW's and i dont know if they are true or just a poular story to tell....

"i would never own a BMW. you know how much they cost to maintain" --non BMW owner
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2005, 01:42 PM   #46
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

everyone's going to have a different experience,

but I've never had a BMW that caused trouble in my family, or friends family

Japanese cars seem to be built well, but after 100,000 miles it starts to become clear why they were cheaper to start out, less solid parts and lower quality parts that were not designed to last as long.

Our family's toyota pickup was bulletproof until it hit about 160k, by the time it hit 170 it was just barely running correctly, my BMW 3 of the same year was still very strong well past 185K
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2005, 03:48 PM   #47
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

If you dont absolutely need a car right now just start saving up for the M3. That's my advice. So you won't regret you want a M3 2 years later. Sounds like you are some what interested in the M.

Robert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minarets
i am really killing myself over this stuff. i love all 3 of these cars, but for different reasons.
and i hate to be that guy who doesnt have an e90 on the e90 boards talking about other cars and such...but all 3 i could see me driving in a a years time.

Acura TL
Infiniti G35
BMW 330i

they all do somthing that the other cant claim or do.
the TL is the best interior in its class. good looks and awsome interior makes it very lovely...however, it is FWD, but a good value

the G35 is another great value and has the "fun" factor that the TL lacks in driving, but cant make up for the loss on the "cool" interior. avg stereo is dissappointing, but again, the fun factor in driving almost makes that a moot point.

the BMW is more of a jack of all trades, and for that you pay more $ it does nothing the best (with the exception of handling imo.), imo, but does everything really well--thus the premium.

i really want it all, and a good value!
there are days i say, i can sacrifice the drive for all the interior goodies...then days i say, i dont need an awsome stereo (which i want real bad) when the driving is this much fun...and others where i say, i want it all, i should get the BMW, but i dont want to pay the arm and the leg, just the leg....

then i look at the world of fuel. the Acura does pretty well. less HP and FWD and other things lead to decent mpg. the G35 almost scares me. i get a great deal with employee pricing on the G which makes it evermore tempting, but with reading some get 22-25 on the highway, im not that impressed...especially since i do 90% highway driving...then again the BMW i have read some getting into the 30mpg ranges on the highway. for a performance sedan that handles as well as it does, that actually excites me.

whatever my next car is, will prolly be around for 7 or so years. i will prolly put 125,000 miles on it...relaibility then comes into play...yadda yadda..sorry to bore people.

did anyone else make them self sick over this decision? i am 24 and dont have tons at my disposal. i am not saying i cannot afford this, but i am in no postion like some more well established people to own 3 or 4 cars or buy thi today then a M3 tom...

i am one sick puppy
i hate this.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2005, 04:21 PM   #48
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep
Drives: '06 325eyeyiyi

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbo
If you dont absolutely need a car right now just start saving up for the M3. That's my advice. So you won't regret you want a M3 2 years later. Sounds like you are some what interested in the M.

Robert.
The next M3 is prob 2-3 years away and getting one at msrp is prob 5 years away!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2005, 04:40 PM   #49
Minarets
Private
Rep

no thanks on the M3
i am wanting a car in the $30's, and maybe in the low low 40's

nothing more....as much as i would love to have one, i do not want to buy one.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2005, 05:02 PM   #50
CC 330i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330i SG/Blk/Alum

I see where you are coming from, but either you like the BMW or you don't. If you don't want to spend that much money, buy one of the other cars you listed. I was all excited about the G35 (mostly the coupe) when it came out, but the interior looked like crap to me and I wasn't all that impressed with the car overall. As far as the Acura, I have almost always had FWD and I was ready for a change.

I was concerned with handling, appearance and economy too, and I will tell you I am very satisfied with my 330i. It gets the same MPG as my Jetta GLX which only had 174 horspower, has plenty of room, and handles and drives great.

I am expecting excellent resale value on the 330i when I sell it. The Acura will also have great resale, and the G35 perhaps will not be as good.

I also considered Audi which you didn't list. Mostly I was interested in the S4, but it was too much money for me. I would only get an A4 if it had the V6 and AWD and manual, which priced out at about the same as the 330i, but resale would have been less. I even considered the A3 but that was only FWD at this time. I love Audis, and really wanted one (talk about a nice interior), but in the end the BMW was a better choice for me at this time and based on where I live.

BMWs continue to be more expensive because people are willing to pay more for them. Whether or not they are "better" depends on the person considering the car, not so much the car itself. It depends on what you want out of the car and what you find important. No one else can make the decision for you. For example, I would never have considered the 325i. Other people would never pay more for a 330i over the 325i. Case in point.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2005, 06:07 PM   #51
DDTAN
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335i E90 ZSP

After nine years, I have 105K miles on. Replaced front brakes twice about $400 a pop. Replaced rear brakes once. One battery replacement. Replaced the radiator $750. Worst of all, the catalytic converter went out at about 80k miles, that was $2000 job. Little things that bug me are the LED's on the diagnostic panel have started to go out, so that the time and the temp are a little difficult to read. And one of the bulbs on the dash has burned out and the right half of my dash is a little dark at night. So it hasn't been totally a free ride. The BMW warranty helped for the first 3 years. But on the plus side, at 105k miles, it's still rock solid, I have new brakes all around, and I won't have to change the timing belt (cause it's a chain).
I drove a 2005 330i loaner the other day, I can genuinely say that I like the ride in my car better (because the tires were a little harsh).
Many of cars I have owned (Saab, Prelude, Celica, Acura). after about 5 - 7 years I've started looking for another car because I had become dissatisfied or worried about the reliability. With this car, I can easily see myself driving it for another few years.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2005, 09:41 PM   #52
wahoo
Bangin' my head against the wall
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Minarets.. I bought my first BMW at 25..2000 328i, prem/sport, cd, leather/wood interior..sunroof, elec seats etc. I have 67k miles on it 6 years later.

Repairs....well to be honest its been a pretty darn good car. My clutch is slipping a little but primarily because I used to drive the hell out of it early on. Its dependable, has 30 dollar oil changes etc.

THe flip side...well German cars can own you if you're not careful. Luckily I"m in a new position than I was back then. I frankly, bought more car than I could afford at the time..car was 38k and I had a gift of several thousand as a down payment..was making a whopping 42k at the time.

My advice to a young person is DON"T BE A SLAVE TO YOUR RIDE...just my humble .02. There are so many other things to do out there..travel, eat out etc then eating turkey sam'iches b/c of your car note..been there done that.

I love my little car but simply want something new. I'm considering a M3 e46 but will prolly get a 330 b/c frankly, when I was working for my last car and tried to rationalize getting rid of it...and compared it to many other cars, the BMW simply does EVERYTHING incredibly as a total package. It could be faster but its sophisticated, quick, elegant, admired, fun, etc (and safe- I've got a wife w/ my first kid on the way).

If can afford a loaded 325i e90 it has more hp than my current '00 328i e46..get some sport wheels and H&Rs later...

Good luck with your choice.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2005, 10:11 PM   #53
theclay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoo
My advice to a young person is DON"T BE A SLAVE TO YOUR RIDE...just my humble .02. There are so many other things to do out there..travel, eat out etc then eating turkey sam'iches b/c of your car note..been there done that.
That is the best advice I have read thus far. I have wanted a BMW for years and now at the ripe old age of 34 I can finally afford one. I don't understand why people get themselves into huge car payments that they really can't handle. Or even worse, lease and own nothing. Think about what you can really afford and go from there.
BTW, When I was 13 years younger I though I was a big shot because everyone wanted to give me credit so I took it. Long story short, seven years bad credit (not fun). I really don't think you are as stupid as I was though.

Good luck,

-Clay
      08-29-2005, 11:10 PM   #54
coco
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bimmmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclay
That is the best advice I have read thus far. I have wanted a BMW for years and now at the ripe old age of 34 I can finally afford one. I don't understand why people get themselves into huge car payments that they really can't handle. Or even worse, lease and own nothing. Think about what you can really afford and go from there.
BTW, When I was 13 years younger I though I was a big shot because everyone wanted to give me credit so I took it. Long story short, seven years bad credit (not fun). I really don't think you are as stupid as I was though.

Good luck,

-Clay
This is good advice and congrats on finally getting your bimmer theclay!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2005, 10:06 AM   #55
Minarets
Private
Rep

thanks guys...yeah, i def do not want to be a slave to a car...that is why i will pay my wife's Trailblazer off first...**insert puke smilie*

my wife and i have been fairly smart and owning only 1 credit card and not falling to the hands that are the credit card devils....

we are expecting our firt child as well, so i say congrats to you sir. obviously the smartest thing would prolly be to buy a Honda Accord and drive it in the ground...but i really dont want that. i mean, if i "needed" to do that of course i would, but i dont "want" that...i think you guys understand me.

a G35 comes with a hell of a deal for me right now....but again, i want to pay my wifes Trailblazer off first before anything. by then i may stick it out and see what the new redesigned 2007 G35 will look like seeing how i can get employee pricing. but nothing really gas the complete pkg that i want now, more then the 330i

thanks guys
Appreciate 0