BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-17-2008, 11:54 AM   #1
bharv2003
Private
Rep
Drives:

135i vs. G37

So what do you guys think? The G37 is said to have more horsepower. Let's hear from those who have driven one!!!:biggrin:
Oh yeah, also the Lexus IS?

Black Sapphire Metallic; Terra Boston Leather; High Gloss Black Trim; Premium and Sport Packages; Heated Seats; Premium Sound

:headbang: Can't wait until it gets here!!! :headbang:
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2008, 12:28 PM   #2
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Not to mention the Toyota Corolla..:biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2008, 12:30 PM   #3
Atorak
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Comp

Lexus IS350 does not come in a manual transmission, therefore, I would not even consider it. I have test driven one though, and it is a very quick car, it feels light on its feet (almost too light), and the ergonomics and interior layout are all 1st rate (dare I say better than BMW). The exterior styling is very Lexus, which isn't a bad thing.

The G37 did not impress me at all. I've sat in one in multiple occasions, including the first one the local dealer had on their lot months ago. The interior feels cheap and full of plastic, and no one will ever convince me that the analog clock smacked in the center of the dash is "luxurious". It comes packed with more features than the 135i for the same money, but people have already discussed that on this forum. Frankly, the car just didn't "wow" me in any sense of the word. Although the front of the car is decent, the rear end looks like every other "G" Infiniti from the past 8 years.....a style in which I'm not particularly fond of.

Once again, I haven't driven the G37, and I think that most of these "1 vs. 2" comparisons are silly, but that's my opinion of the IS and the G37. My 135i is on its way here this week, so maybe that's the best indication of what I think about other "similarly priced" cars on the market.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2008, 12:49 PM   #4
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharv2003 View Post
So what do you guys think? The G37 is said to have more horsepower. Let's hear from those who have driven one!!!:biggrin:

You'll find better financing program for IS and G37.

I am not quite sure what you meant by more horsepower. More horse power than stated, or more horse power than the BMW twin turbo 6
      03-17-2008, 01:09 PM   #5
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

G37 is a lot slower. If you're leasing, get the G.

If not, get the 1.

Don't even consider the IS350, it's a complete POS.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2008, 01:22 PM   #6
Stew
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I first liked the G37, but since have changed my mind...It looks nice but...I dont know I just really like the more simple, less stylized looks of the 135 (and previous 3 series). The G37 seemed to have a tiny back seat, and in pictures, the 135 seemed to have more room.

I also looked at the IS. The IS is a very nice car. I didnt test drive it or anything, but looking online it seems that the IS would be more expensive than a 135...do a quick "build my car" online. The IS has tons of packages...from $3-10K worth of stuff! And everything comes in packages (at least online) so I do not know how hard it would be to get just the options you want without having to get something you dont really want (like their heated and air conditioned seats - not really mandatory in CA). The IS is also 4 door of course, and I would imagine it not to be as fun to drive.

I am not a huge enthusiast, and I dont drive my car on a track. I would be more in the school of "I like to know my car CAN perform like this if it has to". However, I do like knowing about my car and what it can do and really want to start being more of an enthusiast, which is what drew me to the 135, and more importantly this forum. I think the IS would be a great daily driver, but I would want a more fun car as a toy as well haha
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2008, 01:27 PM   #7
plien69
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

The G37 may have more horsepower, but it has less peak torque, and it's carrying more weight.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2008, 06:13 PM   #8
128er
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Ive heard Lexus' and Toyota's are the most boring cars you will ever drive!!
-Steptronic
-Premium Sound
-Xenons

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2008, 06:52 PM   #9
Yearofthe1
An ex-addict :-(
Rep
Drives: VFR1200F

Quote:
Originally Posted by 128er View Post
I haven't driven the new IS, but I did drive the previous version. You definitely do not feel the attachment to the road that you do with any BMW. It is a very disconnected feeling, like you're just along for the ride.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We search for certainty and call what we find destiny. Everything is possible, yet only one thing happens.
-Michael and Ellen Kaplan
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2008, 06:52 PM   #10
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
I just read a review of the IS-F, they said it had "dead steering" and that is suppose to be their "prize" performance car.

G37 - more hp, but slower car. It will not handle like the 135i.

But there are some deals on the G37, if you want to settle.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2008, 06:58 PM   #11
bharv2003
Private
Rep
Drives:

I'm not going to "settle" for anything less than greatness. I've heard that BMW underrated the horsepower on the 135i in order to keep high demand for the new M3 anyways.

Black Sapphire Metallic; Terra Boston Leather; High Gloss Black Trim; Premium and Sport Packages; Heated Seats; Premium Sound

:headbang: Can't wait until it gets here!!! :headbang:
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2008, 07:08 PM   #12
topvega
Kinda sorta banned on N54
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 SGM JB3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharv2003 View Post
I own a 2005 G35 6mt and love it. I thought about getting the G37 but although they increased the horsepower the torque stayed the same I believe. I went with the 135i after not wanting to pay more than what i originally spent on my 05 for a car that is not much faster. Also didn't like the new body...especially the rear. The 135 will beat the G37 in both speed and handling imo... also there are just too many G's on the roads near me now and I think the 135 will be a rarer sight.. at least for a while.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2008, 07:16 PM   #13
NJKSC27
automobile aficionado
Rep
Drives:

I now own a G37S after the leasing came out for the 1er and im in love. I think it is more impressive then the 335's. It is more of a driver's car in my opinion then the 3er. I cant speak for the 1er though cause i have never driven it but after driving the 335 and the G, i liked the G more. I can imagine the 1er will feel more compact and tighter then the G but overall the G's 330hp really screams through all the gears. I love driving it more and more. And i haven't touched on the technology. If your a BMW guy you wont like the G but two totally different cars. Drive them both and if toys and technology turn you on then consider the G the hottest date at the hottest club out there!!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2008, 07:17 PM   #14
Stew
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
That is my thinking as well. This is why it would be a good daily driver to me, just point and go. I know thats about the way my dads camry drives
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2008, 09:26 PM   #15
M135
Professional Rookie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
Well, should have figured there would be some G bashing on a BMW forum. The 135i is gobs faster than the G37, this is a no brainer. However, if you are identifying a cheap interior in a G you may want to have a second seat in a 135i. They are both very nice interiors, but I feel that a BMW without navigation is one of the most stale interiors on the market. The radio and HVAC control displays are so much less than to be desired that it isn't even funny.

The 135i will outhandle the G stock for stock, mainly because of the lack of STB in the G37. An aftermarket set of strut bars and stabilizer bars can catch it up in a hurry. The G is still fat though.

All in all, both very nice cars. Presently, when the lease rates look like they do, a fully loaded G is $250 less a month even though they are the same price. That is where my problem is.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2008, 09:30 PM   #16
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Ah - pricing - it comes down to value for all of us in the end. Value walks across a whole spectrum - from being coddled, geeked-up, or being thrilled by the car we buy to having enough left in the pocket at the end of the day for something extra with the happy meal. That's why it's great that we have choices.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2008, 09:44 PM   #17
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

With so many thoughts about the BMW and reliability plus the overheating, runflats, etc. I started looking at other avenues. I still come back to the 135i manual. I have looked at many cars, read lots of articles, and I believe the 135i would be EXACTLY what I want. I don't care about the dash, toys, etc. I had a 2007 Acura TL-S that IMO had a better looking dash/interior then any Infiniti. BUT I don't care about the fancy toys, sure there nice, but I prefer to drive the car and keep my eyes on the road in front AND behind me. I think they are all great cars, but some just perform fantastic. Pick the features you really like. I want handling, torque, speed, great seats like the 135i sport seats, great looks like the 135i, just a super fun car, once again the 135i. A great price(NOT LOADED WITH CRAP) for a car that does it all, 135i......
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2008, 01:45 AM   #18
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by topvega View Post
Also didn't like the new body...especially the rear.
+1

The older G35 coupe exterior looks way better than the new G37.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2008, 03:15 AM   #19
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKSC27 View Post
I now own a G37S after the leasing came out for the 1er and im in love. I think it is more impressive then the 335's. It is more of a driver's car in my opinion then the 3er. I cant speak for the 1er though cause i have never driven it but after driving the 335 and the G, i liked the G more. I can imagine the 1er will feel more compact and tighter then the G but overall the G's 330hp really screams through all the gears. I love driving it more and more. And i haven't touched on the technology. If your a BMW guy you wont like the G but two totally different cars. Drive them both and if toys and technology turn you on then consider the G the hottest date at the hottest club out there!!
I have heard that from many forums and couple magazine reviews. According to them, the G37 does drive better than 335i. So your experience is pretty well backed. No G bashing, I will give credit where its due. Stick around NJKSC27!
      03-18-2008, 07:24 AM   #20
NJKSC27
automobile aficionado
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert View Post
I have heard that from many forums and couple magazine reviews. According to them, the G37 does drive better than 335i. So your experience is pretty well backed. No G bashing, I will give credit where its due. Stick around NJKSC27!
i am def sticking around....i think around october i might be back in the market for a 1er for my gf....and stay tuned for pics of my G...as soon as i can get my foot off the gas pedal.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2008, 11:35 AM   #21
soolman32
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current: F30 335i Soon: AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKSC27 View Post
I've read several reviews and comparisons between the G and the 335i and they all seem to back your statement. Bottom line is if you want all out performance and hit the track often then BMW (1 or 3) is the way to go. If you like the technology, warm inviting interior and a powerful daily driver then the G is the way to go. I'll be taking delivery on my G this coming thursday. Still trying to find a way to convince the gf that she would look good in the 135i :biggrin: If all fails, I'll get a used on sometime next year .
Appreciate 0