BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-25-2015, 11:00 AM   #1
RLighty
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 120D SE Coupe

SOLVED! 120D forgetting time & date + no welcome lights

Recently I have been noticing some really odd things happening to my BMW (E82, 120D - 2008 Coupe).

Before I get into the issues, note that my last mod to my car were some new headlights with Xenon H1's (upgraded from the standard halogen yellow lights, to some nice LED, angel eye like lights - with a H1 Xenon kit installed along side them)... I don't know if this would relate to any of the issues I'm having below, but thought I should say in case it does!

Ok so here goes:
About a month ago I realise that my welcome lights no longer turn on when unlocking my car at night

I think nothing of it....

Then about 2/3 weeks ago, I plug in my key fob and the car chimes and displays 2 errors.

First is that it's forgotten the date and time.
Second is a yellow image of my car on a ramp jack thing (see image).

Now it keeps doing this every other day or so.
Why would this be?

I thought it might be the battery. So I replaced that today with no problems. Errors seemed to go and the welcome lights worked right away.
About an hour or two past and I wanted to go out to the gym... and just like that the car had forgotten the date and time again and showed the little car on the ramp.

The weird thing is, that when my car doesn't show the welcome lights this error appears.

Every now and then the welcome lights do turn on when I unlock the car and everything is fine, the date and time are okay and the yellow car on the ramp is no longer there. But that would last a day or two and then the cars back to showing those errors.

Does anyone else have this issue? Or know of it? Seems really bizarre!

I took a look in my handbook and the meaning behind this image is.... (Attached)

The book states the issues, but my car works fine. Apart from what I can only notice to be, the welcome lights!?

Can anyone help? Or I'll need to take this to BMW?

Worst of all I've had the car for three years now without a single issue. 3 months left on my contract and this pops up haha typical eah?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 11:03 AM   #2
RLighty
Enlisted Member
Rep

Image 1
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 11:04 AM   #3
RLighty
Enlisted Member
Rep

Image 2
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 11:36 AM   #4
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 6M 135i

Considering the issues only started after you installed the H1 Xenons, I would start looking there. Making sure everything is connected properly and nothing is loose or half-way connected.

To me, it sounds like there could be a wiring issue, a grounding issue or something that is drawing the battery down.

Checking the battery it should be slightly above 12V when the car is OFF (engine off and nothing else on). It should also be above 14V (actually ~14.7V is a very good) when the car is ON (engine running). There is a "hidden" menu you can get to that should show you these voltages if you don't have a multimeter:

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 08:31 PM   #5
Silenus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Did you register the battery replacement?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 08:55 AM   #6
edisapimp
Civil Rights Activist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 Sedan, E88 Vert

I'm gonna go with a bad electrical system in the towing hitch.

E88 Crimson Red Vert MSport 6MT - Listing your mods in your signature is lame.
BMS DCI/MHD E30 Flash!!/AA Sport FMIC/VRSF CP w Tial BOV/VRSF 3" DPs/550i clutch w SPEC SMFW/Apex EC-7s/Whiteline RSFB/E92 M3 FCAs/Bilstein B12 Pro Kit/VRSF inlets
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 01:16 AM   #7
RLighty
Enlisted Member
Rep

Replaced the battery and all issues have been resolved and no errors since (about 2 weeks now).

Welcome lights are back
Date and time all good
No errors
Appreciate 0