BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-30-2012, 09:08 AM   #1
Neon01
BMW Nut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 X5 35i

Garage List
Need help quick - should our wheels require a special tire mounting procedure?

Just took my 135i in with a set of four Dunlop Winter tires (235/40/18s at all corners) to get mounted on my stock M-sport style 261 rims. I got a call from the shop saying the rims are so narrow or something that they have to flip them over and mount the tires on them from the bottom. They want two hours of labor ($192) for the work since it'll require an assistant to do.

Anyone ever hear of this? Should I just go get the car and get it done somewhere else? I usually use this shop since they're good guys and they're one of the only shops around with the Hunter mounting and balancing equipment.

Really appreciate your suggestions
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 09:13 AM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

...some shops charge extra for mounting RFT tires or removing them from a wheel when installing non RFT's.

I would take your biz somewhere else. Give Radial Tire a call in Silver Spring MD. They are pretty good with tires.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 09:27 AM   #3
Neon01
BMW Nut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 X5 35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
...some shops charge extra for mounting RFT tires or removing them from a wheel when installing non RFT's.

I would take your biz somewhere else. Give Radial Tire a call in Silver Spring MD. They are pretty good with tires.
Thanks, but silver spring is about an hour from me, and I would need my wife drive separately to bring the rims, so I'm not sure that's in the cards. I called another shop and verified that there is such a thing as "reverse mount rims", but I find it really questionable that these OEM rims are reverse mount. The other shop claimed that it's very rare for that to be the case - typically they're aftermarket rims of odd construction. Then again, these wheels have a very high offset, so I wonder if that's what the problem is.

My god, I shudder to think of having to pay $200 each time i want to switch tires...

They're waiting on my call back to proceed, so I guess I'll just go ahead with it.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
BuddhaPilot
Swollen Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BSM Z4 3.0

Sounds like BS and that they don't have the correct machine to do it. I watched them change one of my tires at a local Firestone on the machine they specifically use for RFTs. Took one person and the wheel was mounted right side up. I'd be really concerned about wheel damage at this point.

Finally delivered!!...2012 135i/AW over Coral Red/MSport/Nav/HK/Toasty Seats/6MT
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #5
luv135i
Major
Rep
Drives: White

No. Any decent tire shop shouldnt have a problem and sure as hell not $192. Discount mounted my tires for the regular price and no damage. 15/wheel with lifetime balance 60 bucks total.
Appreciate 0