RaptorKTM
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 M Coupe

Garage List
2011 BMW 1 M  [0.00]
Akrapovic Full System Question

I just ordered the full system, and am curious to know if pairing this exhaust with the ESS tune will override any codes, however when taking it into the dealer and shutting the tune off, more then likely a tune will arise, other then the obvious reasons, how will this affect bmw performing other services then more then likely they will not want to release a vehicle or wont be able to if it has a check engine light.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 12:06 PM   #2
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorKTM View Post
I just ordered the full system, and am curious to know if pairing this exhaust with the ESS tune will override any codes, however when taking it into the dealer and shutting the tune off, more then likely a tune will arise, other then the obvious reasons, how will this affect bmw performing other services then more then likely they will not want to release a vehicle or wont be able to if it has a check engine light.
This would sound like its a question for ESS. I would suggest calling them and getting your answer directly from the source.

Be sure to follow up so others with the same question can benefit!

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 09:39 PM   #3
M1one1M
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: nothing

If you haven't replaced your stock dowpipes with the Akrapovic Catless downpipes (or anyone elses) then you won't even throw a check engine light.

The 1M has two sets of cats in the stock exhaust system, Akrapovic has confirmed that removal of the secondary set (in the mid pipes) will not trigger a check engine light, only removal of the primary cats in the downpipes will result in a check engine light.

The check engine light will only come on once you replace the stock downpipes with catless downpipes. If you are doing this you will need a tune to get rid of the check engine light.

In regard to your original question, if your car is fitted with catless downpipes and the ESS tune, you will have to flash your car back to stock using the ESS handheld switcher before you go into the dealer for a service (this is so the dealer does not find out you are running an aftermarket tune(ESS)). Once you do this the check engine light will reappear. Once this happens there is no alternative other than to tell your service adviser/mechanic that the car has catless downpipes and that is the reason why the check engine light is illuminated.

The way I look at it is that flashing the car back to stock before a dealership visit, thereby causing the check engine light to illuminate because of the catless downpipes and being upfront and honest about this will not be as bad as leaving the tune enabled so that the check engine light does not come on and the dealer finding out you are running an aftermarket tune as a result.

It really comes down to the lesser of two evils. I hope this answers your question and sheds some light on the situation as I understand it. If anyone else has anything further to add please do, similarly if I am mistaken with anything I said please let me know. Hopefully ESS can chime in and confirm my position.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 03:41 AM   #4
RaptorKTM
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1 M  [0.00]
How much HP gain do you feel there will be by doing the downpipe in addition to the rest of the system.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 07:45 AM   #5
M1one1M
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: nothing

Catless downpipes will net you the most power out of any modification you can do to your car other than a tune. In all honesty the rest of the system is more for show, because the standard 1M system is extremely efficient as it is (except for the downpipes).

But as I mentioned above, there is a trade off if you decide to go with catless downpipes, and that is the need for a tune and the eventual discovery that you are running catless downpipes by your dealer if you don't tell them.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 05:20 PM   #6
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
The Akra evolution is from the main cats back and will not throw any codes. The only issue being the flash tune. It may be a good idea to flash it or switch over to the stock map before dealership service work.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 10:31 PM   #7
RJM3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
It takes about 200 miles for the CEL to come on. It doesn't show up right away.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 11:21 AM   #8
RaptorKTM
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1 M  [0.00]
Well thanks for the good info, I just have to decide now which direction to go
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 11:36 AM   #9
RaptorKTM
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1 M  [0.00]
Would you guys do the downpipe based on the information provided?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 11:52 AM   #10
Wild Bill
Old Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: JCW Clubman, 1M, 2007 Vette

Garage List
2007 Corvette  [0.00]
2011 1M Coupe  [10.00]
2010 MINI JCW Clubman  [10.00]
Question, the catless down pipes will be in violation of the CARB rules, and prevent the car from passing a visual smog test, yes.

WB
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 12:49 PM   #11
RaptorKTM
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1 M  [0.00]
Wild Bill are you a Glamis Guy by chance?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 01:19 PM   #12
Wild Bill
Old Guy
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 Corvette  [0.00]
2011 1M Coupe  [10.00]
Quote:
Wild Bill are you a Glamis Guy by chance?
"Glamis Guy" ????????????????

WB
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 01:29 PM   #13
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Bill View Post
Question, the catless down pipes will be in violation of the CARB rules, and prevent the car from passing a visual smog test, yes.

WB
Bill,

Yes, you are correct. The catless DP is in violation of CARB rules and Federal emissions law. Not only it will not pass a visual, it will not pass a sniffer test either.

Harold
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 01:46 PM   #14
Wild Bill
Old Guy
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 Corvette  [0.00]
2011 1M Coupe  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
Bill,

Yes, you are correct. The catless DP is in violation of CARB rules and Federal emissions law. Not only it will not pass a visual, it will not pass a sniffer test either.

Harold
Thanks, I thought so, I have been through this with my MINI Coopers, I know the 1M will not be up for smog for 6 years but that doesn't stop the over zealous officer for stopping you for your loud exhaust and sending you right to the referee with your brand new car. You don't want to go to the referee if you have touched anything in the engine compartment. I had a friend get his car rejected at the referee for changing a vacuum line from black to blue. Sounds ridicules, but that is the law here. It doesn't matter if it is functionally the same, it can not deviate from factory stock, and they have photos to go by.

WB
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 01:47 PM   #15
RaptorKTM
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1 M  [0.00]
Quote:
"Glamis Guy" ????????????????

WB
I just recognized the username from another forum that pertains to off roading, thought you had a sand rail and was on this forum as well. Just curious
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 02:05 PM   #16
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, I thought so, I have been through this with my MINI Coopers, I know the 1M will not be up for smog for 6 years but that doesn't stop the over zealous officer for stopping you for your loud exhaust and sending you right to the referee with your brand new car. You don't want to go to the referee if you have touched anything in the engine compartment. I had a friend get his car rejected at the referee for changing a vacuum line from black to blue. Sounds ridicules, but that is the law here. It doesn't matter if it is functionally the same, it can not deviate from factory stock, and they have photos to go by.

WB
Bill,

I have seen road side smog police in the Irvine and Santa Ana area as well so one must really be careful.

Harold
Appreciate 0