BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-18-2012, 08:35 PM   #1
Scott B
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Laguna Seca Video and Mods Review

I tracked my N55 135i for the first time this weekend, and it performed better than I expected. Having run prior track days in an Exige, the weight of the 135i is immediately apparent, but so is the comfort day-to-day. After this event, I'm convinced that this car can serve effectively as a dual-purpose vehicle.

Mods:
BMW Performance Power Kit (PPK1)
Toyo R888s
BMW Performance Suspension
M3 Front Control Arm Kit (includes control arms, wish bones, sway bar, springs, struts)
M3 Rear Subframe Bushings
Forge Motorsport FMIC
Ferodo DS2500 Pads + 600*F brake fluid
100 octane gas

This was my best lap, even though I flubbed turn 11 (the last one). 1:50:99sec.

The power was sufficient, but the most impressive aspect of this vehicle on the track was the braking power. Absolutely zero fade, and tremendous stopping power. I'd say it stops better than the stock brakes on my Exige. Really, really strong braking capability. I don't know how much of this is attributable to the pads, the fluid, or the beefy stock caliper/disk setup, but I can say with confidence that this combination works well.

Since the event, I noticed that the brakes do make a LOT of noise on the street. I never did a full bedding procedure prior to track day, so that may help. Otherwise, I may throw the stockers back on till the next event.

I got the intercooler to discourage overheating. We had very mild ambient temps in the low 70's and high 60's, so it may not have been an issue anyway. But I'm happy to have the FMIC regardless. Before/after dyno runs showed a nice little bump in HP and area under the curve in torque from installing the Forge unit.

The suspension is as stiff as I'd want a daily driver to be. It's not too low for even the largest speed bumps, and not too jarring to take on long trips either. For me, it's the Goldilocks "just right" balance for street and track.

Happy to field any questions.

Scott
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 09:56 PM   #2
blutattoo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
You mentioned the brakes not fading, do you have the BMW performance brake kit w/slotted and cross drilled rotors or just the stock setup? Also were you using a vbox to record the video and track data?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 09:59 PM   #3
Scott B
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutattoo View Post
You mentioned the brakes not fading, do you have the BMW performance brake kit w/slotted and cross drilled rotors or just the stock setup? Also were you using a vbox to record the video and track data?
Stock brake calipers and rotors. All mods are listed in the OP.

I used Harry's Lap Timer via my iPhone + external GPS device + OBD connection to pipe in throttle position, engine speed, etc. Love this combo.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 11:55 PM   #4
MGallop
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 12' 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [10.00]
you get to go on with a certain group?
I would give my left nut to get back on that track one more time!!

Nice run!!!!

Matthew Gallop: '12 N55 Mods: JB4 Flex ISO | iCarbon DP | VRSF 5" FMIC | BMS Intake | ER Charge Pipe | Race Axleback | ST Coils | Alufelgen CS7's | iCarbon 3 fin Diffuser |
Blackline LCI | CarbonFiber Spoiler | Orion v4 AE's | 30% tint | red+blk roundels | Cyba Scoops | H-Style front Lip | WeissLicht LED Smoked Sidemarkers | Matte Grills | Coded |
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 09:04 PM   #5
Scott B
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PADLOCK View Post
you get to go on with a certain group?
I would give my left nut to get back on that track one more time!!

Nice run!!!!
Thanks.

I signed up for the Cherry's Jubilee event hosted by Porsche Club of America. No special group membership required.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 07:12 AM   #6
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
that's a solid time! nice job! laguna seca is on my bucket list. hopefully I'll visit one of my friends in the bay area soon but won't be able to do it with my car have to get a rental or a loaner. I've had nothing but good experience with the brakes also but not everyone shares our sentiment. I use to run the Ferodo pads last year. they are great pads. how you liking the R888? what size are you running? I am running the RA1's. very sticky but hard to find the size I want
      09-22-2012, 11:15 AM   #7
Scott B
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelblue View Post
that's a solid time! nice job! laguna seca is on my bucket list. hopefully I'll visit one of my friends in the bay area soon but won't be able to do it with my car have to get a rental or a loaner. I've had nothing but good experience with the brakes also but not everyone shares our sentiment. I use to run the Ferodo pads last year. they are great pads. how you liking the R888? what size are you running? I am running the RA1's. very sticky but hard to find the size I want
Thanks! Let me know if you decide on a rental, our local Lotus shop has some great cars available.

R888's are as follows:
255/35/18 (rear)
225/40/18 (front)

I used R888's on my Lotus and they performed great, so decided to throw a set on this car. On the track they perform as expected -- sticky and predictable. On the street my only complaint is that they're pretty loud. I think it's mostly the rears, but there's quite a bit of road noise which is most apparent at low speed. These tires are my dedicated set for the track, so this is a non-issue for me. RFTs go right back on when the car transforms back into a daily driver.

The pads are still pretty noisy for my taste (I prefer silence, if you couldn't tell), so the stockers may go back on soon too.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 11:30 AM   #8
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
renting a lotus wouldn't suck if you want to try another set of daily pads that have great modulation feel, no dust, no noise you should try the cool carbons. they have a solid reputation among the members here. also it would be great if you could get a little more rubber up front. if you don't want to go to full blown camber plates you should try pulling the alignment pin, add the M3 lower control arm and maybe add the dinan fixed camber plates. you should be able to run a 235 up front with these mods. cheers,
      09-22-2012, 11:41 AM   #9
Scott B
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelblue View Post
renting a lotus wouldn't suck if you want to try another set of daily pads that have great modulation feel, no dust, no noise you should try the cool carbons. they have a solid reputation among the members here. also it would be great if you could get a little more rubber up front. if you don't want to go to full blown camber plates you should try pulling the alignment pin, add the M3 lower control arm and maybe add the dinan fixed camber plates. you should be able to run a 235 up front with these mods. cheers,
Alignment pins = pulled

M3 control arms = done (along with some other M3 suspension bits)

I'm going to burn up these tires and pads before tossing them, but thank you for the suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 11:24 PM   #10
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutattoo View Post
The time the OP is running should have not overworked the brakes. If he were to run into the 1:47 or lower range, then he will really need to be getting on those binders and the stock brakes will not likely to hold up, not even with the DS2500, but stepping up Ferodo DS1.11, Hawk DTC or PFC 01, 06 or 08 would be okay.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 10:11 AM   #11
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
FFS is this guy 10 years old? If he ever grows up, someone let me know.

In the meantime, here's a tutorial on forum tools that might help.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 11:40 AM   #12
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
FFS is this guy 10 years old? If he ever grows up, someone let me know.

In the meantime, here's a tutorial on forum tools that might help.
what a douche! I had no idea we could do this. doing it right now. thanks Gary