BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

View Poll Results: Will you keep your 1er after the warranty expires?
Will keep the 1er 169 72.22%
Will let the car go / get another car 65 27.78%
Voters: 234. You may not vote on this poll

05-11-2009, 07:03 AM   #23
bman6074
Major
Rep
Drives: 14 M235i and 07 Lotus Exige S

I will probably keep the car after factory warranty but will end up buying the extended. Then look for a new car a couple of years after that runs out. Give me time to save up.
      05-11-2009, 08:09 AM   #24
Yablonski135
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 CSM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by italiantank26 View Post
are you serious, getting your car serviced at 50,000 costs 4k? I find that hard to believe how could that be so expensive. Your better off selling the car and getting a another one then paying 4k to service a used, out of warranty bmw.
en

Yeah for real. A friend of mine had bought a first year Nissan Xterra. His 25k mile service was around $3000. He traded it at 29.2k miles for a new Sentra instead of paying for tha service.

I'd trade mine before that service and let the dealer that took it on trade worry about it.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 08:56 AM   #25
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
It's easy to drop $2k for an off warranty BMW service. A friend of mine with a '99 325 recently had it serviced and the bill was $2,500. At 50,000 miles I was told the N54 engine requires some service work that involves timimg belts or something that is quite expensive. I wish I knew, but that is what the SA told me when they were trying to sell me extended warranty. Does anyone know what the actual service schedule is for the 135i?

Your friend got duped. There's nothing about these cars that will require a $2k service. There is no timing belt to replace.

Damn I'm glad I don't get taken for a ride like this every time the car needs service. I feel sorry for some you guys.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 09:12 AM   #26
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
Your friend got duped. There's nothing about these cars that will require a $2k service. There is no timing belt to replace.

Damn I'm glad I don't get taken for a ride like this every time the car needs service. I feel sorry for some you guys.
Thanks for that. I think the '99 required some sort of $600 electronic part replaced. Keep in mind everything is twice as expensive in Canada from BMW.

Do you happen to know what the service schedule is for the N54? This would be a good piece of information to have. It does not appear anywhere in the manual.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 09:35 AM   #27
cagekicker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 crimson red 135i

i plan on keeping her as long as possible. bmw cars are made to be kept!
      05-11-2009, 10:13 AM   #28
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for that. I think the '99 required some sort of $600 electronic part replaced. Keep in mind everything is twice as expensive in Canada from BMW.

Do you happen to know what the service schedule is for the N54? This would be a good piece of information to have. It does not appear anywhere in the manual.

A part replacement isn't a mileage based service cost, and you certianly can't include it as if every car is going to have it. Even if $600 of it was parts, you're saying that there was $3200 in additional cost involved for the service, and that's crazy.

The MOST you'll need is a full fluid flush, and an oil service. It should be under $1k US.

The N54 won't need anything more than oil changes, and possibly a valve adjustment. What is it that you think would drive up the service cost for this engine compared to other BMW engines?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 10:17 AM   #29
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

I plan on to keep this car for a long time (i.e. > 10 years) as long as it won't cause me too much money to maintain.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 10:24 AM   #30
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Ahhh, the joys of leasing.

I'll be getting a newer 1 or something else. I'm going back to BMW after trying my Audi A4. The A4 is a very nice car with the sport pkg. Still, there is just something a bit more special about how a BMW drives.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 10:58 AM   #31
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

[quote=jeremyc74;5097031]Your friend got duped. There's nothing about these cars that will require a $2k service. There is no timing belt to replace.[quote]

Exactly. RTFM and learn about "Condition Based Service and that there is no 50,000 mile service! The only additional service for the TT engine is a spark plug change at 45,000 miles - and if you are paying $2k for that, there's a bridge in Brooklyn we need to discuss.

I just received a $580 estimate from my dealer for a major service at 95,000 miles on my '99 328i.
Tom
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 11:16 AM   #32
IndyMike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 VO 1 M/22 G42 Thundernight

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
there is just something a bit more special about how a BMW drives.
It's called soul, brother.

I'll only sell it when a lighter einser hits the strass in the next generation.

Regardless, R32 is and will remain the daily driver for the foreseeable future. Because of that I'll fork out for the extended warranty for the schnell bunny before I consider it for the 135.

"Before You, Lord, We Bow" - Francis Scott Key
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 11:49 AM   #33
shodanusmc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135 Vert

Will be gone before the Warranty expires. My wife likes driving one several years old, and seldome keeps it longer than 3 years. Now she says she wishes she had gotten the M3 Vert which she could have gotten instead of the 135 Vert. However, she does love the 135. After 36 years of marriage, it is easier to keep her happy than the alternative. Whatever she wants, she gets.

As far a me, no, I would not keep any car past the warranty period....Now when I was younger and had kids in school, my thought process was different, and my wallet was a lot lighter.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 12:57 PM   #34
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Quote:

X2 a lot of salesman are cluless let alone the technical advisors. I went in there last friday no one knew about the fuel pump issue(I had to bring the guy out for a ride). I had to speak to the head mecanic. I was looking at the pricing chart for tire packages, brakes exhaust etc what a rip off.... Best place for advices are independant specialized shops. My jaw dropped when I saw 2000$ for tires...I mean come on....I hope that at that price they hand out some lube.

jeremyc74 look at my sig thats why people some people get taken for a ride. If I had to go look out for a job to become a technical advisor I would go straight to Bmw, Audi, Mercedes or Lexus it's quick money. No one asks questions and a lot of people act like big shots. Don't worry folks I didn't say all bmw owners but a lot they just dont want to be perceived as cheap so they'll shell out the cash. I personally ask them to give me a call before they put on any parts.I shop around a go buy them somewhere else and I get the dealer to install them(i.e Discs,pads, etc). I mean if we are on this forum it means that were ALL internet savy(up to a certain point) and we can search on the net for cheap parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 04:34 PM   #35
1lvr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i JB+

I voted to keep since my warranty has already expired. I am still driving it..
      05-11-2009, 05:47 PM   #36
JHZR2
Major
Rep
Drives: 91 E30, 11 135i cv

Quote:

Thank you!!!!

Wow... amazing. I wonder if anyone actually reads the owner's manual or maintenance instructions. They provide the printed material for a reason.

I looked at the OM and maintenance book before I even test drove the car. I guess Im just too practical.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 08:28 PM   #37
Bones13
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i BSM/Coral

I will be driving mine until my last kid is out of college (5-6 years). I did not buy the 10 year warranty offered at the time of sale. There is a nice BMW shop right down the hill that has cared for our other bmw cars over the years. They will be keeping mine going until I move on.

Besides, my 5 year old 128i will be a great car for one of the kids in time.
Navigation/Premium Audio/USB/iPod
Heated Seats/Xenon/Bike Prep
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 08:59 PM   #38
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
It's easy to drop $2k for an off warranty BMW service. A friend of mine with a '99 325 recently had it serviced and the bill was $2,500. At 50,000 miles I was told the N54 engine requires some service work that involves timimg belts or something that is quite expensive. I wish I knew, but that is what the SA told me when they were trying to sell me extended warranty. Does anyone know what the actual service schedule is for the 135i?
Your friend knows that he doesn't have to do everything the dealer tells him once he is off warranty right? In fact if I had a '99 325 I wouldn't be taking it to a BMW dealership to get it serviced. A good mechanic who specializes in German cars and has been keeping up with the latest trends should be able to work on a 10 year old car. Would a brand newbie BMW mechanic working at any dealership with the LATEST BMW training have lots of hands on experience with these cars? Its a big enough gamble that I don't feel would justify BMW's labour costs.

If a dealer told me that a regular service interval had come up and I should fork over $4,000 he better be well able to prove to me that if I don't do it my car will fall apart while driving and become a danger to myself and others. For that kind of money I can't see what kind of preventative maintenance (maintenance on something that isn't BUSTED) would be justified.

If it didn't have anything to do with something that is specific to the N54 engine I would take my chances with an independent garage with a good reputation.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 09:20 PM   #39
Brix
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18' Grigio Telesto F80-6MT

Gonna probably buy the 135 off a two year lease. Don't know if i will certify it from there or just keep it for a little while after the warranty ends. I guess it depends if she gives me a lot of problems. So far I have about 15 thousand mi and no issues. I actually think you should branch the poll or add another box for the people keeping their cars certified or not.
      05-11-2009, 09:32 PM   #40
999ducman
Ti Da Juice Mane
Rep
Drives: 2009 Ti Silver 135i

I looked at the review on the $4000 Daewoo...lol..check it out

"good car for a frst car or wife car.it handles good it pull ahead when the floor pedal is pushed on .in the rain it handles good and stay staight in rain ,has good braking one brake over haul in 6 years."
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 09:45 PM   #41
JHZR2
Major
Rep
Drives: 91 E30, 11 135i cv

lol
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 10:09 PM   #42
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

It would be super interesting to see how this plays out. I seriously doubt these percentages will be accurate.
      05-12-2009, 09:00 AM   #43
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
The N54 won't need anything more than oil changes, and possibly a valve adjustment.
Doesn't the N54 uses hydraulic lifters like other non-M models? If so, then no valve adjustment would be required.

Also as with most modern cars, I suspect that folks may want to replace the serpentine belts (ca. $300) around 60k - but that's much cheaper than cam belts.
Tom
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 09:23 AM   #44
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Doesn't the N54 uses hydraulic lifters like other non-M models? If so, then no valve adjustment would be required.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it does. I said "possibly" because I was too lazy to look it up at the time, and didn't want to get called out on it.

That's a good point about the belt. Are they really that expensive? The last one I changed was only about $70, but it's been a few years.
Appreciate 0