BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-27-2017, 01:14 PM   #1
suspenceful
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2008 135i, 2009 335i

My Experience Installing MMP Stage 3 Turbos

UPDATE: I ran the turbos hard at 28-30psi for about 500 miles and then my motor gave up. Dropped compression on cylinder #3. After removing the motor and turbos, I decided to switch my setup for various reasons. Watch this video I put together for the full scoop.

------------------

On a constant quest for more power, I found myself looking to upgrade from my stock turbos. As you all know, there are a few different options available and even some single turbo conversion kits. After doing some research, I was set on a pair of MMP Stage 3 turbos. They offer 700whp capability with OEM fitment and come at a great price - everything I was looking for. While MMP has had some hiccups, I know Mauricio has great customer service so I didn't hesitate and pulled the trigger.

I opted for fully-optioned MMP Stage 3 turbos which included a 2 year turbo warranty with the bearing treatment. These turbos require larger inlets and outlets, so I opted for MMP's silicone outlets and aluminum relocation inlets since I already relocated things for aftermarket inlets on my stock turbos. I also ordered the turbo install kit because I wanted fresh o-rings, gaskets, etc.

After reading some DIY N54 turbo install guides, I decided to tackle the job in my garage on jack stands. This would be one of the most involved projects I've ever attempted on my own, but I knew it was possible.

----------
If you don't want to read this whole article about my installation experience, you can scroll to the end to see a finished photo and a few videos. I have driven over 500 miles on these turbos already and they're great! I recently installed an upgraded fuel system and these turbos pull very hard at 28PSI without a problem. I would definitely recommend MMP Stage 3 turbos to anyone who wants more power out of their N54.
----------

Since I planned on dropping the front subframe, I wanted to replace some things while I was in there and had easy access. Here is a list of parts I bought for my 6-speed 2008 BMW 135i:
Since I am chasing 700whp, I decided to upgrade my clutch and fuel system at the same time (not required when just replacing turbos).Preventative maintenance:
None of these are required except for the motor oil and coolant because they will be drained while removing the turbos. I simply replaced all of the above parts as preventative maintenance. My oil pan gasket and oil filter housing gaskets were slowly leaking and my passenger-side motor mount was torn.

NOTE: Some people also recommend replacing the 8 turbo oil feed/drain and water feed/return lines, but I reused my existing lines (with new gaskets/o-rings of course). Some people also replace the turbo manifold studs and nuts, but I left the studs in and reused the nuts.

Now that we've gathered all of our parts, let's get to business! I put the car in the air and took off the front bumper for easy access.

Undertrays removed, time to get this subframe out!

I don't have the most tools in the world, but I managed to get the subframe and steering rack out in about 4 hours. I used an engine support brace from Harbor Freight to hold up the engine before dropping the subframe.

2 hours later I had the downpipes, intercooler, inlets, outlets, fan, engine mount, water pump, thermostat, and coolant pipe out of the car. Don't forget to drain the oil and coolant before getting too far.

In the process I discovered what coolant tasted like and was covered in grime, but knew I was making good progress. Next, I disconnected the oil and coolant lines from the block, then removed the stock turbos. Unbolting the manifolds was the easy part. Removing the coolant and oil lines from the block was more difficult than I expected. It was a painful, tedious process because I needed to reuse the lines. Be careful with these lines if you plan on reusing them!

Look at all of that room! Now that the stock turbos were out, I had to compare them to my new MMP Stage 3 turbos.

Next, I removed the power steering pump so I could remove the oil pan to replace that gasket. Once the oil pan was out, I cleaned and reinstalled it with a new gasket, bolts, and oil level sensor o-ring. Be sure to follow the proper bolt torquing procedure if you're replacing the oil pan gasket.

The subframe was filthy from the oil pan gasket leak, so I cleaned it.

After this, I wanted to mockup the turbos with the MMP inlets and outlets attached to get a better idea of fitment.

Then I began to swap all the oil and coolant lines over to the MMP turbos but ran into a bit of an issue.As Mauricio notes in the installation instructions, you must use the included small washers on the bolts when reattaching the oil feed and coolant lines to the turbos. If you don't, you will bottom out the bolt and pull the welds off that hold the mount on. Ask me how I know - whoops! This was my own fault.

Luckily I had a friend who welded the stainless mount back to the cast cartridge housing.

Make sure all of your oil and coolant lines are in good condition and free of debris. Clean them up and blow compressed air through them before reinstalling. I found it was easier to mount the two coolant return lines to the block first and then secure the rest of the lines to the turbos on the bench. Replace all of the o-rings and gaskets on these lines carefully. Remember, use small washers and do not over torque the bolts during reassembly.

I got back underneath the car and cleaned up the mounting surfaces, then installed both turbos with new manifold gaskets. Rear turbo goes on first. It's easiest to reinstall the heat shields while the turbos are loose. Reconnect the coolant return lines to the turbos once they're mounted and then torque everything down.

Next, I wrapped the inlets and outlets with heat-resistant tape just for added reassurance. Since I already relocated things for aftermarket inlets on my stock turbos, I didn't have to do anything special this time around. I did remove the bracket for the OEM rear inlet from the block at this time because I had the space.

I installed the outlets first. Make sure the couplers are properly seated and the clamps are tight. Then I installed the inlets, but had to remove the upper OEM heat shield and boost solenoids.

I could see the light at the end of the tunnel and was determined to get the car back on the ground. I set the camera down and did the following:
  • Reattached power steering pump to oil pan
  • Reinstalled coolant pipe, water pump, thermostat with new hoses
  • Reinstalled intercooler
  • Reinstalled downpipes with new v-band clamps
  • Connected the O2 sensors
  • Attached new motor mounts
  • Finally reinstalled the subframe!
  • Reinstalled power steering rack and refilled power steering fluid
  • Mounted boost solenoids (required heat shield modification)
  • Connected all vacuum lines
  • Replaced the oil filter housing gaskets
  • Double checked that everything was connected and tightened
  • Added oil, oil filter, and coolant, then bled the coolant system
  • Unplugged the injectors and cranked the car to prime the turbos
  • Started the car!

I was able to put on about 200 miles over weekend without a single issue! It was a great feeling being able to start the car and drive it without any problems.

These things are loud (in a good way)! I didn't reattach the exhaust to the car yet, so it's just dumping from the downpipes.

After putting a couple hundred miles on the turbos, I decided to see what they felt like targeting 20PSI to redline.

After this pull, I ordered a Stage 3+ LPFP and port injection from Precision Raceworks so I can raise the boost (read my post about installing those parts here). Stay tuned for updates!

Overall, I'm very impressed with the quality, fit, and performance of these turbos for the price! I would definitely recommend them if you're looking to upgrade your N54 turbos. Quick spool, OEM fitment, higher boost ceiling, and no wastegate rattle!

UPDATE: Check out my post where I installed the upgraded fuel system and turned up the boost!
🏁 Shop BMW merchandise: bimmerstreet.com

Last edited by suspenceful; 01-26-2018 at 09:06 AM..
Appreciate 8
      07-28-2017, 09:22 AM   #2
ErvGotti
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.00]
Great write up
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 02:51 PM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErvGotti View Post
Great write up
+1

Congrats OP!

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 12:01 AM   #4
08 1ER
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i MT

Bookmarked this for future reference.
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2017, 04:19 AM   #5
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Germany
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #739/740

Garage List
great writeup

from start where u started taking bumper off until end, how long did this take you? were you doing this alone? have you dyno'd your car yet?
      07-30-2017, 07:44 PM   #6
FrostyDC4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C63S Sedan|350Z

Garage List
2007 Nissan 350Z  [0.00]
2012 BMW 135i  [4.50]
Very nice
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 11:27 AM   #7
suspenceful
Major
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys, glad it was helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikx1M View Post

from start where u started taking bumper off until end, how long did this take you? were you doing this alone? have you dyno'd your car yet?
I did this all over the course of a couple days. I took my time and did most of it alone. Probably had at least 30-40 hours into the whole job, easily.

Haven't dyno'd the car yet, still fine tuning a few things first.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 02:57 PM   #8
TT1351
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135, GTS, E30 M3+

Love the initiative, good for you. Turbo's look massive.

Last edited by TT1351; 10-12-2017 at 05:28 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2017, 03:15 PM   #9
Traf
First Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

I'm about to install them too.
Can you tell me more about the washer for the oil line, and the rear coolant line ? It seems i need the 335i one.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 03:52 PM   #10
suspenceful
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traf View Post
I'm about to install them too.
Can you tell me more about the washer for the oil line, and the rear coolant line ? It seems i need the 335i one.
When you swap over, or install new lines on the MMP turbos, you are using a bolt to keep the line attached to the turbo so it doesn't pop off. Before tightening this bolt, you will want to use a small washer (usually supplied with the turbos in a bag) before reinstalling/tightening the bolt. The hole that the bolt screws into isn't quite deep enough and it will bottom out without a washer/spacer.

As far as the rear coolant line, it states in the installation instructions that you must use a 335i coolant line on all 1 series / 5 series / Z series / or RHD cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 04:39 PM   #11
Traf
First Lieutenant
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspenceful View Post
When you swap over, or install new lines on the MMP turbos, you are using a bolt to keep the line attached to the turbo so it doesn't pop off. Before tightening this bolt, you will want to use a small washer (usually supplied with the turbos in a bag) before reinstalling/tightening the bolt. The hole that the bolt screws into isn't quite deep enough and it will bottom out without a washer/spacer.

As far as the rear coolant line, it states in the installation instructions that you must use a 335i coolant line on all 1 series / 5 series / Z series / or RHD cars.
Thanks, have you used the 335i line ?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 05:04 PM   #12
suspenceful
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, have you used the 335i line ?
Yes, I did.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 06:25 PM   #13
omgshinoda
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '10 135i, '13 M3

the turbos look good!

unrelated question but I'm guessing you are putting down somewhere north of 550rwhp.

how is your rear axles, cv, halfshaft holding up?

i want to upgrade my turbos but worried that rest of drivetrain will crap out
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 09:42 AM   #14
suspenceful
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgshinoda View Post
the turbos look good!

unrelated question but I'm guessing you are putting down somewhere north of 550rwhp.

All drive train parts are holding up just fine. I snapped an axle on stock turbos at the dragstrip. High RPM 2-step and a clutch dump sheared it right in half.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 02:18 PM   #15
Traf
First Lieutenant
France
Rep

Getting the lines out is a pain in the ass, way harder than i thought.
I couldn't find the subframe bolts torque specs, how hard did you torque yours ?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 03:32 PM   #16
suspenceful
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Getting the lines out is a pain in the ass, way harder than i thought.
I couldn't find the subframe bolts torque specs, how hard did you torque yours ?
I couldn't find them either so I just zipped them really tight with an impact.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 04:11 PM   #17
Traf
First Lieutenant
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspenceful View Post
I couldn't find them either so I just zipped them really tight with an impact.
I'm gonna try to find other bolts with the same threadsize and use the same torque spec.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 05:44 PM   #18
omgshinoda
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '10 135i, '13 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspenceful
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgshinoda View Post
the turbos look good!

All drive train parts are holding up just fine. I snapped an axle on stock turbos at the dragstrip. High RPM 2-step and a clutch dump sheared it right in half.
haha awesome! i guess i can pull the trigger on upgraded turbos soon!

your car pulls like a beast!
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2017, 06:05 PM   #19
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Quote:
I'm gonna try to find other bolts with the same threadsize and use the same torque spec.
Can't find anything on whether they're the same, but rear subframe bolts are torqued to 84 ft/lbs.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 04:08 AM   #20
Traf
First Lieutenant
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadillac2000 View Post
Can't find anything on whether they're the same, but rear subframe bolts are torqued to 84 ft/lbs.
Both are M12, 84ft/lbs it is then !
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2017, 08:44 AM   #21
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Anyone have any links to which they referenced as far as removing the front subframe goes?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 10:15 AM   #22
suspenceful
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadillac2000 View Post
Anyone have any links to which they referenced as far as removing the front subframe goes?
I watched this before installing:
Appreciate 1
Bimmer TV125.00