BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-27-2019, 06:06 PM   #1
accomotors
Free Spirit Tattoo Racing
Australia
Rep
Drives: 130i

Bathurst Update

Hey guys, thanks for all your support.

Regarding our Bathurst campaign, it was indeed a weekend of highs and lows (as it always is).

After discovering a pool of water under the car on Saturday morning, we diagnosed a leaking radiator, and replaced it with our spare stock radiator. Car ran well with no leaks, until the drain plug shot itself out (note to others, lockwire your drain plugs!) and the car overheated.

We were stranded at the track with now two leaking radiators. We managed to have the aluminium race radiator repaired at a local shop, however come Sunday morning there was another pool of water beneath the radiator. After scouring high and low for replacement radiators/drain plugs, and only a few short hours until the race, the decision was made to go the trusty radiator stop leak in a bottle. Given that the engine was shot already (due to overheating), we weren't too concerned about any adverse effects, and just prayed that the stuff would do what it said on the label.

After doing the thing, there was still a small leak present. In the meantime we had puttied up the stock radiator with plastic putty, and the plan was if the aluminium radiator continued to leak we would swap it out mid-race.
The decision was made to start the race from pit road, and after turning one lap we came into pits to check the radiator. It was not leaking at all, and after discovering that the stop leak had performed flawlessly, we hit the track again and completed the full 6 hours!!

We finished the race in 19th spot (after starting dead last in 45th), and 6th in class. We were so happy with our achievement, after the radiator was leaking water when the car was fired up and took the track.

So now it's time to fit a new motor, new cooling system, and the various necessary improvements that you always find need to be made during the weekend.

I will be posting up many questions over the next few months regarding performance mods, and other such things. We really appreciate everyone's help with the brake homologation. They worked so well and we were out-braking pretty much everybody (even taking a lot of faster cars by surprise).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 12:13 AM   #2
M3EATERS
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89 Sdrive35i/M6 F13

Well done. Great effort. Getting this prep'd for track use.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 06:00 PM   #3
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by accomotors View Post
Hey guys, thanks for all your support.

Regarding our Bathurst campaign, it was indeed a weekend of highs and lows (as it always is).

After discovering a pool of water under the car on Saturday morning, we diagnosed a leaking radiator, and replaced it with our spare stock radiator. Car ran well with no leaks, until the drain plug shot itself out (note to others, lockwire your drain plugs!) and the car overheated.

We were stranded at the track with now two leaking radiators. We managed to have the aluminium race radiator repaired at a local shop, however come Sunday morning there was another pool of water beneath the radiator. After scouring high and low for replacement radiators/drain plugs, and only a few short hours until the race, the decision was made to go the trusty radiator stop leak in a bottle. Given that the engine was shot already (due to overheating), we weren't too concerned about any adverse effects, and just prayed that the stuff would do what it said on the label.

After doing the thing, there was still a small leak present. In the meantime we had puttied up the stock radiator with plastic putty, and the plan was if the aluminium radiator continued to leak we would swap it out mid-race.
The decision was made to start the race from pit road, and after turning one lap we came into pits to check the radiator. It was not leaking at all, and after discovering that the stop leak had performed flawlessly, we hit the track again and completed the full 6 hours!!

We finished the race in 19th spot (after starting dead last in 45th), and 6th in class. We were so happy with our achievement, after the radiator was leaking water when the car was fired up and took the track.

So now it's time to fit a new motor, new cooling system, and the various necessary improvements that you always find need to be made during the weekend.

I will be posting up many questions over the next few months regarding performance mods, and other such things. We really appreciate everyone's help with the brake homologation. They worked so well and we were out-braking pretty much everybody (even taking a lot of faster cars by surprise).
Shame about the last minute problems but its great you guys managed to race and finish, great work! That brake homologation was a headache but glad it all worked out in the end

Would highly recommend spending some effort coding out the crap in the DSC system that really interferes with track driving.

I've coded this out on my E82 135, basically helps removing the DSC intervention that occurs even with DSC fully off. Really makes it annoying to drive on track, the 130i would have a lot of these 'features' that hinder performance as well.

Brake fade compensation - DSC pump increases pedal pressure
Brake pretensioning - When you lift off the throttle sharply then get onto the brakes, the DSC increases pedal pressure, results in inconsistent pedal
Brake disc drying - Applies light pressure to the brake discs to clear water when wipers are on
Power reduction on brake overheat - Reduces the engine power when the calculated brake temperatures are too high
Dynamic braking control - applies more pedal pressure at higher speeds

And many more:
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1216642
      04-29-2019, 06:02 AM   #4
accomotors
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3EATERS View Post
Well done. Great effort. Getting this prep'd for track use.
Awesome mate, what sort of track use you looking at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post
Would highly recommend spending some effort coding out the crap in the DSC system that really interferes with track driving.

I've coded this out on my E82 135, basically helps removing the DSC intervention that occurs even with DSC fully off. Really makes it annoying to drive on track, the 130i would have a lot of these 'features' that hinder performance as well.

Brake fade compensation - DSC pump increases pedal pressure
Brake pretensioning - When you lift off the throttle sharply then get onto the brakes, the DSC increases pedal pressure, results in inconsistent pedal
Brake disc drying - Applies light pressure to the brake discs to clear water when wipers are on
Power reduction on brake overheat - Reduces the engine power when the calculated brake temperatures are too high
Dynamic braking control - applies more pedal pressure at higher speeds

And many more:
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1216642
Hey vtl, appreciate your support. I will have to set aside some time to check the thread out, but it seems there are several things going on in the background that could be slowing us down.
We have noticed several 'nanny functions' that the car has, most noticeably the inability to rev-match when braking hard and the trailing throttle/laggy reapplication. I have personally noticed that braking is inconsistent lap after lap, even on the same corners under the same circumstances.
We will be putting a new motor in (now that the current one is cactus), along with headers (if we can find some RHD-suitable ones), and then looking to have it tuned (because I imagine there is something to gain here). We were thinking at the same time of having the tuner disable all the silly things that are going on in the background (although I had no idea they were so numerous in their amount).
I will be posting up threads regarding each of these things, if I can't find any existing information using the 'search' function.

Driving my old 308-powered HQ touring car gave me a lot less computer intervention!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 10:56 PM   #5
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by accomotors View Post
Hey vtl, appreciate your support. I will have to set aside some time to check the thread out, but it seems there are several things going on in the background that could be slowing us down.
We have noticed several 'nanny functions' that the car has, most noticeably the inability to rev-match when braking hard and the trailing throttle/laggy reapplication. I have personally noticed that braking is inconsistent lap after lap, even on the same corners under the same circumstances.
We will be putting a new motor in (now that the current one is cactus), along with headers (if we can find some RHD-suitable ones), and then looking to have it tuned (because I imagine there is something to gain here). We were thinking at the same time of having the tuner disable all the silly things that are going on in the background (although I had no idea they were so numerous in their amount).
I will be posting up threads regarding each of these things, if I can't find any existing information using the 'search' function.

Driving my old 308-powered HQ touring car gave me a lot less computer intervention!
Yeah definitely disabling the nannies in the DSC system will help with the braking. This is done via BMW standard tools and not part of the engine tune. Can point you in the right direction if you need information with coding

Throttle issues will be part of the engine tune, these cars have ecu tables in them to artifically lag up the throttle to make the car feel less jerky, but it really dulls the throttle response. Hopefully your tuner has access to the OLS file for N52 to be able to zero these out.
      05-01-2019, 02:05 AM   #6
accomotors
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post
Yeah definitely disabling the nannies in the DSC system will help with the braking. This is done via BMW standard tools and not part of the engine tune. Can point you in the right direction if you need information with coding

Throttle issues will be part of the engine tune, these cars have ecu tables in them to artifically lag up the throttle to make the car feel less jerky, but it really dulls the throttle response. Hopefully your tuner has access to the OLS file for N52 to be able to zero these out.
I am in contact now with another BMW team that are able to disable all the appropriate DSC nannies.

We do not have a tuner in mind as yet. I am sure there would be a general consensus as to who would be the best for the N52? We would be happy to travel for a great job.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 10:53 PM   #7
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

Keep us posted about the headers. I reckon there is a lot to be gained from a better exhaust (flow and scavenging)
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 02:35 PM   #8
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i MSport DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
FYI you can flash the M3 DSC on the 6cylinder DSCs
PeterY outlines what you need to know. You can also mix and match the calibration.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1598910

Best of luck looks like it's a blast!