BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-11-2013, 12:41 AM   #1
Scott B
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Fear and Loathing - The 1M Chargepipe

A few months back I bought the ER chargepipe in hopes to thwart an issue with the stocker. Just as I was about to install it, I noticed that it required relocating the DV's, breaking the stock DV fasteners (didn't accommodate the OE fasteners), and that it was missing a port on the underside which goes to a baffle box on the 1M. For these reasons, and the warranty risk, I decided to return the ER pipe and keep the stocker.

Fast forward to last weekend at Sonoma Raceway. During the last session of the day, I experience a loss of power under boost which turns out to be a cut in the chargepipe. Ugh. It's getting replaced under warranty with the same flawed part, of course.

I wonder if there's a modification that can be done on the stock chargepipe to strengthen the neck at the throttle body..? I'm even wondering if stronger motor mounts would keep it from experiencing so much flex, and therefore prevent breakage..?

Welcome any thoughts/ideas. I'm not against replacing the chargepipe, but I'm not willing to compromise the OE design and fitment.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 09:37 AM   #2
Snertz
H O O N
United_States
Rep
Drives: ein M!

You could try using some plastic epoxy at the joint, but I'm not sure how much of a difference that will make. Stiffer mounts would be at the expense of more NVH.

The stock DV fasteners are reusable, just twist the gray collar to release them from the stock charge pipe. No permanent changes are required to use them with an aftermarket chargepipe.

The box on the stock chargepipe is actually a sound generator : http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...54&hg=13&fg=20 It doesn't affect the operation of the engine and can be left off.

IMO you'd be better off with one of the aftermarket chargepipes available, such as the ER one you had before, or the BMS one. If you're okay with running a VTA BOV, the CP-E one is a nice well built piece (this is what I'm running on mine.) They all have stock style flanges on the throttle body side, and can be swapped out in less than 30min when you need to bring your car in for service or warranty.

BMS : http://www.burgertuning.com/chargepipe_N54_BMW.html
CP-E : http://cp-e.com/wp/product/bmw-n54-blowoff-valve-kit/

U WOT M8?

Last edited by Snertz; 08-11-2013 at 09:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 11:01 AM   #3
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

It seems to me that there was no solid reason to return the ER charge pipe at the time. I was present at the time of install of mine and we re-used the stock diverter valves with no issues, they just fit but requires some work to make it right and secured.

Like Snertz explained before, maybe the stock sound baffle which is pretty useless and just creates additional turbulance confused you? It is an appendicitis if I may call it!
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 07:27 PM   #4
Scott B
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I appreciate the replies, thank you.

As for why I returned the ER pipe, I thought it would be an aluminum stock replacement, and it simply isn't. You may not agree with my reasoning, but it is what it is. I know the acoustic box is unnecessary and can by bypassed, but I'd rather keep it hooked up than loose or with an ugly plug in it. The chargepipe isn't a power-adder. All I wanted was to mitigate the risk of the stocker breaking, and for it to install just as the factory intended.

I realize the stock diverter valves will attach to the ER pipe, but not with the stock fasteners. It requires that you use silicon hoses with wormgear clamps. If they could mirror the OE connector at the throttle body, why couldn't they also mirror the DV connectors? They relocate the DVs to accommodate aftermarket intakes, which I do not have, so again...more modifications I did not want or need under my hood.

All I want is for a chargepipe to attach like stock and not break. It seems that's too much to ask. :/
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 08:02 PM   #5
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

The BMS charge pipe looks pretty good. Does anyone know about fitment?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 08:49 AM   #6
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
The sound box is completely removed when installing an aftermarket CP. I don't believe there is an aftermarket CP that is a stronger version of the stock design and I highly doubt BMW will be updating the current design, so your only alternative is to keep a spare OEM CP with you at all times.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 12:49 PM   #7
Scott B
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snertz View Post

The stock DV fasteners are reusable, just twist the gray collar to release them from the stock charge pipe. No permanent changes are required to use them with an aftermarket chargepipe.
Snertz, I'm curious about what you said, here. Are you saying that the OE DV fasteners can be used with an aftermarket chargepipe? If that's the case, why do all of the CP makers include silicon hoses, wormgear clamps, and instructions to break the stock fasteners?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 03:38 PM   #8
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

If I may interject, and based on my experience running an ER chargepipe, there is no "breaking" of the stock connection. You simply disconnect and leave detached, instead making the new connection with the silicone hose.

It is very simple to reverse this and re-attach the stock pieces as originally assembled.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 07:21 PM   #9
Scott B
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
If I may interject, and based on my experience running an ER chargepipe, there is no "breaking" of the stock connection. You simply disconnect and leave detached, instead making the new connection with the silicone hose.

It is very simple to reverse this and re-attach the stock pieces as originally assembled.

Neil
Hi Neil -- sorry if I'm a little dense here, but I don't quite understand what you said. So I get that you can disconnect the stock DV fasteners, and hence the DVs, without breaking the fasteners. To be clear, are you saying that you can re-attach the stock DVs using the stock fasteners to the ER/aftermarket chargepipe without using the silicon couplers and wormgear clamps?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 08:55 PM   #10
Snertz
H O O N
United_States
Rep
Drives: ein M!

I guess a picture is worth 1000 words here

The silicon couplers and clamps are used if you're using the stock DVs with an aftermarket charge pipe. The coupler goes over the open end pictured below. You can also see the indents that are used to lock it in place on the stock CP.

The locking collars are the grey pieces shown below, they're actually locked into the stock CP and not removable. These aren't duplicated on aftermarket CPs most likely due to the complexity of their design, and the difficulty in getting them off the stock pipe.

Sounds like the wording of the instructions included with the aftermarket CP's need some work, they probably mean break the DVs loose from the stock CP, by rotating the grey collars clockwise. It's just a little difficult to do this since the collars are a pretty tight fit and require some force to get them to rotate.

The right one is in the unlocked position, left one in the locked position. To reinsert the DV's, just turn the collars to the locked position, then push the DV in; They'll snap into place.

FWIW the BMS one looks like it locates the DVs in the same spot/orientation as the stock CP, might be your best bet.

Hope this helps

U WOT M8?

Last edited by Snertz; 08-13-2013 at 09:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 10:48 AM   #11
Scott B
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thank you both! Yes, it does appear that the BMS CP keeps the DVs in the same location, but I really wish someone would just make a bolt-on pipe with all the stock connectors/fasteners. I'm sure it's difficult to replicate, but I'd be willing to pay more for it. I'll have a convo with my service advisor on an aftermarket replacement, but if he says that's going to dork my warranty, I'll just stick with stock and get them replaced when they break.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 10:56 AM   #12
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I think BMW knows that the original(1M) CP was prone to splitting/cracking.

BMW does improve its parts over time or its parts suppliers. What makes you think that a new BMW CP will break again? Maybe the best thing is to just carry a spare BMW CP in your trunk?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 10:13 AM   #13
Scott B
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The CP has now been replaced at the dealer. My SA said that they did use an updated part #, but that that it appeared to be an identical part, so we're not really sure if this is an updated/stronger piece. We'll see how long this one lasts!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 04:12 PM   #14
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott B View Post
Hi Neil -- sorry if I'm a little dense here, but I don't quite understand what you said. So I get that you can disconnect the stock DV fasteners, and hence the DVs, without breaking the fasteners. To be clear, are you saying that you can re-attach the stock DVs using the stock fasteners to the ER/aftermarket chargepipe without using the silicon couplers and wormgear clamps?
No, but you can reinstall the stock pos chargepipe and re-attach the DVs as they had been.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 05:11 PM   #15
Scott B
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No, but you can reinstall the stock pos chargepipe and re-attach the DVs as they had been.

Neil
That's what I thought. I chalk this up to lazy aftermarket chargepipe engineering.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 02:45 PM   #16
Scott B
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
Not really, as most don't use OE DV's with the CP. Plastic DV to metal CP wouldn't work anyhow.
ER and BMS have options for OE DVs, so clearly there are a bunch of us who want to pair an aftermarket CP with OE DVs. I just wish all the fitment was actually OE. Good point, though, on the metal-to-plastic mating. I wouldn't even be opposed to the entire CP being plastic, so long as it isn't prone to breaking like the stocker.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 07:23 PM   #17
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep

I ran an ER chargepipe with the stock diverter valves for almost 35,000 miles with no issues whatsoever.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 07:51 PM   #18
Scott B
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I ran an ER chargepipe with the stock diverter valves for almost 35,000 miles with no issues whatsoever.

Neil
Thanks, Neil. I don't doubt the ER chargepipe works fine. I just prefer to retain the OE fasteners with the OE DVs. Probably way more anal than I should be on this, but hey, I like what I like.
Appreciate 0