BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-15-2009, 10:16 AM   #1
BoostedTerp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Euro Delivery Winter Tires?

I got an email from BMW regarding my Euro Delivery vehicle with my confirmed delivery date and time, there was also a footnote regarding requiring winter tires from October 15th-April 15th. I'm supposed to be picking up my car October 20th, do you think they'll require me to swap out my tires? It shouldn't be snowing in Munich that early, or even below freezing yet. Anyone with experience here please advise...
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2009, 11:36 AM   #2
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I believe your insurance in not valid without winter tires on during those times (may be a legal issue as well). There is a service in Munich to rent winter tires and wheels for your ED duration. I'll try to find the name...

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2009, 11:46 AM   #3
Macca916
Private
England
Rep
Drives: X6 XDrive35D

Garage List
You probably need someone on the ground in Germany to confirm but I think its new legislation that winter tyres have to fitted in certain european countries during the winter season.
http://www.etyres.co.uk/winter-tyres-law This mentions EU but could be out of date.
some more reading here
http://www.rbi.nl/pdf/wintereur_en.pdf
The latter seems to indicate its required by law but doesnt give dates its in effect.
and a bit more here
http://www.vredestein.com/Onlineadvi...52912&FaqID=29
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2009, 07:23 PM   #4
merlinbk
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None (yet)

I'm facing the same issue, though i'm picking up in November.
Here's a site that BMW deals with for winter tires. At least you don't have to put wear on the new tires.

My dealer required that I sign a notorized document stating I'm aware that if I get into an accident and not have winter tires I would most likely be found at fault. In germany its optional... but in other countries its required. While it may not be snowing in Munich... it may be snowing up in the alpine passes keep that in mind.

http://www.edwintertires.com/
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 12:18 AM   #5
former
Practical Idealist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Coupe

My understanding is that if it is snowing in Germany you better be equipped with winter tires. From HowToGermany.com:

"Driving on snow-covered roads is permitted only if your car is equipped with winter tires. Use of regular tires can result in a fine and, much worse, loss of your insurance coverage in the event of an accident."

I did an ED last year from October 25th to November 5th. While, we didn't run into any snow, it was touch and go. Switzerland got hit by a sizable storm and some of the foothills had a light dusting of snow as we drove through them. Of concern as well is that summer (sport) tires do not handle well in temperatures lower than say 40-45 degrees F. So you need to keep an eye on the temperature gauge as well.

Renting is a good option if you are returning through Munich. Folks with plans that include dropping off in another country... well, plan in some flexibility if you are traveling during the late Fall into Winter months.
      09-16-2009, 02:07 AM   #6
m_thompson
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M-Sport 128i, 328xi, 3.0CS

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1972 3.0CS  [10.00]
Take a look at www.edwintertires.com.
      09-16-2009, 06:31 AM   #7
Macca916
Private
England
Rep
Drives: X6 XDrive35D

Garage List
I think the bottom line is once its winter in Germany then winter tyres are only optional if you dont mind
1) being stiffed by the German police by being fined for road traffic act breach
2) being to liable to pay damages inccured in any accidents you may be involved in regardless of fault.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 06:36 AM   #8
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

I'd relax, and simply drive your new baby over to the port, and drop off the car.

I'd then plan on renting a car for everything else. DONE!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 08:31 AM   #9
former
Practical Idealist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
I'd relax, and simply drive your new baby over to the port, and drop off the car.

I'd then plan on renting a car for everything else. DONE!
I guess that would resolve one issue. But one of the joys of doing an ED is driving your car in Europe. It's rather anti-climactic to go all the way to Germany to pick up your car for an hour drive and not see it again for 6-10 weeks.

I was pulled over by the German police on clear roads in Winter and they didn't ask/say anything at all about my tires, though I assume they did look pretty carefully at the bright blue 135i coupe with the tourist plates as they reviewed all my documentation.

Had it been snowing, I would have been safely off the roads elsewhere. We were very careful to monitor the weather and in fact changed our plans midway through due to the possibility of snow on the way to Prague.
      09-16-2009, 09:53 AM   #10
dbtheo
1addicts CA
Rep
Drives: 2005 330i ZHP cic, 2021 X5 40i

Garage List
Directly from BMW

"Winter Tires
Please remind your customers that many European countries, including Germany, have a federal law that requires drivers to equip their vehicle appropriately for the prevailing weather conditions. There might be street sections for which snow tires or even snow chains are declared mandatory. This often is the case for ski resorts and alpine passes.
It is the responsibility of the customer to ensure that their vehicle is equipped appropriately. If the customer does not appropriately equip his/her vehicle for the weather conditions that exist during their drive in Europe and obstruct traffic or get involved in an accident, it is possible the customer may be cited for a violation. Before your customer travels, please have them check with the appropriate country he/she is planning on visiting while driving.
If the customer’s car is not equipped with All Season tires, there is a tire rental option available. The rental fee includes tire change and storage of performance tires for a period from 1 day up to 4 weeks. Advanced booking can be done via www.edwintertires.com if this option is being chosen.
IMPORTANT: The customer will independently contract with the tire rental company.
The customer’s vehicle must return to the tire rental location to have original tires reinstalled. Shipment of the vehicle must be done EXCLUSIVELY with original tires! It is a legal requirement that the vehicle equipment matches the data on the invoice during importation into the U.S. Customers will then have to drop-off their vehicle at the drop off location, E.H.Harms, in Munich – Garching (see www.bmwusa.com/europeandelivery for address).
We are offering all customers who take delivery at the BMW Welt the option of leaving their vehicle at the BMW Welt for shipment to the U.S. if they prefer not to drive. There will be a fee of 60 Euro cash payable to the BMW Welt.
Please note that all customers are now required to sign a Release Form as part of the Purchase Order. "
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 09:57 AM   #11
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

I'd rather take my car to dinner, and take photos, and drop it off at the port, then not have damage from winter driving. I'd pass on the hassle, and drive a car i don't have to be concerned about.

Last edited by ORIGIN M.; 09-17-2009 at 10:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 11:26 AM   #12
BoostedTerp
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by former View Post
I guess that would resolve one issue. But one of the joys of doing an ED is driving your car in Europe. It's rather anti-climactic to go all the way to Germany to pick up your car for an hour drive and not see it again for 6-10 weeks.

I was pulled over by the German police on clear roads in Winter and they didn't ask/say anything at all about my tires, though I assume they did look pretty carefully at the bright blue 135i coupe with the tourist plates as they reviewed all my documentation.

Had it been snowing, I would have been safely off the roads elsewhere. We were very careful to monitor the weather and in fact changed our plans midway through due to the possibility of snow on the way to Prague.
So you didn't put on the winter tires when you were over there? I'm thinking as long as the weather is reasonable, and October 20th it still should be I won't have any issues.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 12:43 PM   #13
spellbmw
Feuertrunken
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY10 135i 6MT

I'd rather pay the bucks for the rentals and enjoy the Alps without either worrying about those early winter rain, frost, snow, and ice events, or having to avoid the most beautiful parts of Germany, Austria, Italy and Switzerland. For me, that is part of the joy of having the car and the memories of taking it up into the Alps in mid-October. Signing the papers today and take delivery on October 17th! Hanging out in Munich for a week beforehand to enjoy the city, then hit the road...after getting the winter tires...
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 02:15 PM   #14
BBBluey
Major
Rep
Drives: very slow and courteous

How many days are you planning on staying and driving around? It seems like 4 days will run you 200 Euro and I doubt you'll get to see all you want in 4 days.
I should rent you my winter set

Last edited by BBBluey; 09-16-2009 at 02:22 PM.. Reason: probably not legal
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 10:20 PM   #15
spellbmw
Feuertrunken
United_States
Rep

One week in Munich before picking up the car, then two weeks of driving, including time in the Alps over several passes. From what I've read, RFTs get a bit sketchy in temperatures in the low 40s and cooler.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 12:14 AM   #16
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by spellbmw View Post
From what I've read, RFTs get a bit sketchy in temperatures in the low 40s and cooler.
This is not an RFT characteristic, it is a summer tyre characteristic. You can buy winter RFT tyres if you want, although many just buy regular winter tyres and an inflation/puncture seal kit.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 08:23 AM   #17
former
Practical Idealist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedTerp View Post
So you didn't put on the winter tires when you were over there? I'm thinking as long as the weather is reasonable, and October 20th it still should be I won't have any issues.
I did not, as our original plans had us returning through Amsterdam so tire rental was not an option. Most days were in the 50's and 60's F so neither temperature nor snow was an issue. At one point the temps dipped to 38 but the Potenza's held up ok. There was no noticeable impact to grip - perhaps because the tires and/or the pavement were warmer than the air. (It was somewhat sunny.) Nonetheless, I still increased my following distances for that hour or so since I just assumed there would be reduced traction.

Depending where you go, the weather can still be reasonable in Germany in Oct/Nov. But even that early some of the higher passes may be impacted and you may very well need snows. We're planning on picking up my wife's 335 via ED in October of this year as well and once again do not intend to leave from Munich so rental will not be an option. I'm not particularly concerned about this issue though.

I'm also not suggesting anyone drive in the snow with summer tires, nor violate the law. But there is a balance here in which people can still pick up their car with summer tires in the Fall time frame and safely drive their cars in Europe, on the Autobahn, etc. It is a fantastic experience to drive through Europe and see all the cities and sights and have the comfort, power and luxury of your own car at the same time.
      09-17-2009, 09:12 AM   #18
spellbmw
Feuertrunken
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
This is not an RFT characteristic, it is a summer tyre characteristic. You can buy winter RFT tyres if you want, although many just buy regular winter tyres and an inflation/puncture seal kit.
Thanks for the clarification!

Now, if I can just find info online regarding the Passo di Stelvio temperatures in October, I'll have some idea if I really need to rent the winter tires or not. I'll be hitting it around October 21-22.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 08:17 PM   #19
BoostedTerp
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by former View Post
I did not, as our original plans had us returning through Amsterdam so tire rental was not an option. Most days were in the 50's and 60's F so neither temperature nor snow was an issue. At one point the temps dipped to 38 but the Potenza's held up ok. There was no noticeable impact to grip - perhaps because the tires and/or the pavement were warmer than the air. (It was somewhat sunny.) Nonetheless, I still increased my following distances for that hour or so since I just assumed there would be reduced traction.

Depending where you go, the weather can still be reasonable in Germany in Oct/Nov. But even that early some of the higher passes may be impacted and you may very well need snows. We're planning on picking up my wife's 335 via ED in October of this year as well and once again do not intend to leave from Munich so rental will not be an option. I'm not particularly concerned about this issue though.

I'm also not suggesting anyone drive in the snow with summer tires, nor violate the law. But there is a balance here in which people can still pick up their car with summer tires in the Fall time frame and safely drive their cars in Europe, on the Autobahn, etc. It is a fantastic experience to drive through Europe and see all the cities and sights and have the comfort, power and luxury of your own car at the same time.
Thanks...I'm thinking it will be ok, I'm not aiming to go up into the mountains or anything like that so I don't think I'll run into any problems.
Appreciate 0