BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-17-2013, 07:16 PM   #133
pavo335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3.5 wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
Same number as mine
wtf with just a tune and its the same as a 1m

perhaps the evolve needs time to adapt some more
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 07:52 PM   #134
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
So what were all the numbers? Does anyone have a list with the mods on each car?

Edwin, that number with just tune is amazing... wish we had that dyno up here!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 08:39 PM   #135
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB4135 View Post
I'd like to see some more dyno sheets uploaded.
Heres mine:

Prev dyno day procede only:

Last Sat, with ams fmic with custom advan 3" hard pipe, AA CP, AR DP's & AFE DCI:

I wasn't too happy with the result considering the $ outlayed for a minimal gain, it seems some tweaking needs to be done with the procede (Pete mentioned its running low on boost but isnt displaying signs of a boost leak?)

I took a pic of Ian's run just before my car got up on the dyno:

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 08:55 PM   #136
pavo335
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
Heres mine:

Prev dyno day procede only:

Last Sat, with ams fmic with custom advan 3" hard pipe, AA CP, AR DP's & AFE DCI:

I wasn't too happy with the result considering the $ outlayed for a minimal gain, it seems some tweaking needs to be done with the procede (Pete mentioned its running low on boost but isnt displaying signs of a boost leak?)

I took a pic of Ian's run just before my car got up on the dyno:

yep something definately wrong there, should be a lot more power.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 09:01 PM   #137
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Man all these 250kw+ cars! You guys should be going to the drags, if I did 12.1seconds with 250kw there must be a lot of 11second cars in Sydney.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 09:07 PM   #138
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Quote:
Heres mine:

It was 30+ degress later in the day, maybe some influence there?

I ran mine after the snags ~1:30 (264.5kw) and it was definitely hotter than the earlier runs by Ian then Joe at 11:00ish.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 09:30 PM   #139
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335 View Post
yep something definately wrong there, should be a lot more power.
hmm yeah shall do some research and see if I can get Adrian from Vishnu to perhaps tune the car
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 09:35 PM   #140
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine* View Post
It was 30+ degress later in the day, maybe some influence there?

I ran mine after the snags ~1:30 (264.5kw) and it was definitely hotter than the earlier runs by Ian then Joe at 11:00ish.
I actually ran straight after Joe earlier in the day.

My 1st run on at the last advan dyno day with just the procede only Pete mentioned it was 35 degrees in the dyno room. So if anything it was actually cooler last Sat at the time I ran on the dyno and with a much larger fmic volume of the ams core it should have handled it easily.

Whilst I'm no expert , I'm sure temperature has a slight influence on power it still should have been running more boost then what it did on the day I'm thinking it has something to do with the tune
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 09:39 PM   #141
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Ann and I ran both the E88 as well as the E82 on the dyno day. The E88 ran a 221.9 with a Procede, DCIs and catless mids. I was expecting a little more however Pete said that the DCIs and the hot weather didn't help much. I forgot to take a picture of the dyno results printout though.

The E82 pulled 298.9 with the new Mr5 intake that I installed last Thursday (courtesy of Rey). I wasn't expecting it so I was pretty happy with this result as it was a good 6-7kW gain over the stock airbox and it was a pretty warm day. Unfortunately there's no boost reading as apparently the Mr5 intake got in the way.

For good measure I've added a couple of other photos. The P3 gauge apparently caught me doing a 4.08s 0-100kph time at WSID last Wednesday which I was very surprised with . I had a quick check of the calibration of the P3 speedometer on the way home and it appears to actually read a little low. At 100kph on my cruise control, my iPhone GPS speedo read 95kph and the P3 read 92kph. With a better launch I reckon it should be able to break into the sub 4s.

The last picture is of some souvenirs that my new Federal 595 RS-Rs picked up on the way out of Advan after the dyno run. It seems Pete might need to repaint his floor now
Attached Images

Last edited by froop; 03-17-2013 at 10:08 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 09:56 PM   #142
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I actually ran straight after Joe earlier in the day.

My 1st run on at the last advan dyno day with just the procede only Pete mentioned it was 35 degrees in the dyno room. So if anything it was actually cooler last Sat at the time I ran on the dyno and with a much larger fmic volume of the ams core it should have handled it easily.

Whilst I'm no expert , I'm sure temperature has a slight influence on power it still should have been running more boost then what it did on the day I'm thinking it has something to do with the tune
What maps are you running Shane? I know you said you were running the latest maps as of Oct 2012 but do you know whether you are running the autotune maps or are you running the aggressive maps?

If you're running the aggressive maps, which stage?

I previously had the autotune maps but recently I installed the aggressive maps. I can't say whether or not I feel any butt dyno differences and unfortunately I have no comparison between dyno runs on the autotune vs the aggressive maps. If you are running the aggressive maps, with an FMIC and DPs you definitely should be upgrading to at least the stage 3 maps whereas if you were previously only running the tune, you may have had only the stage 1 maps installed.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 10:05 PM   #143
pavo335
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
Ann and I ran both the E88 as well as the E82 on the dyno day. The E88 ran a 221.9 with a Procede, DCIs and catless mids. I was expecting a little more however Pete said that the DCIs and the hot weather didn't help much. I forgot to take a picture of the dyno results printout though.

The E82 well and pulled 298.9 with the new Mr5 intake that I installed last Thursday (courtesy of Rey). I wasn't expecting it so I was pretty happy with this result as it's was a good 6-7kW gain over the stock airbox and it was a pretty warm day. Unfortunately there's no boost reading as apparently the Mr5 intake got in the way.

For good measure I've added a couple of other photos. The P3 gauge apparently caught me doing a 4.08s 0-100kph time at WSID last Wednesday which I was very surprised at . I had a quick check of the calibration of the P3 speedometer on the way home and it appears to actually read a little low. At 100kph on my cruise control, my iPhone GPS speedo read 95kph and the P3 read 92kph. With a better launch I reckon it should be able to break into the sub 4s.

The last picture is of some souvenirs that my new Federal 595 RS-Rs picked up on the way out of Advan after the dyno run. It seems Pete might need to repaint his floor now
now were talk'n
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 11:28 PM   #144
1q2w3e4r
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Rep
Drives: BMW

It's a dyno number, nothing more. It's purely good fun, go run at the drag strip if you want bragging rights.

The main thing is that you (everyone) is happy with your car. Doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks, does it?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 11:40 PM   #145
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1q2w3e4r View Post
It's a dyno number, nothing more. It's purely good fun, go run at the drag strip if you want bragging rights.

The main thing is that you (everyone) is happy with your car. Doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks, does it?
Well said.. Exactly..

We all had a great day with Pete, and a BBQ lunch.

No animosity on the day, just good clean fun had by all.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 12:08 AM   #146
StuM5
Australia
Rep
Drives: E39 M5

Thanks to Peter and the Advan staff for putting on the day!

I was very impressed with the N54 results! my poor old school NA V8 was put to shame with only 234kW… but I appreciate you letting me run with all the techno weapons!

Joe, thanks for giving me a run down on the 1M variations etc, very impressed!

Just having a look at some of the dyno graphs posted up leads me to a few queries that I hope someone might entertain me with responses to:

1 My understanding is that the 225kW version of the N54 runs around 8.8psi turbo boost, is that correct?

2. what OEM psi does the 1M run to achieve its 250kW?

cheers
Stuart

EDIT: i HAVE DELETED BY 3RD QUESTION AS IAN HAS POINTED OUT BELOW I'M READING THE WRONG BLOODY CURVE! DOH

Last edited by StuM5; 03-18-2013 at 12:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 12:34 AM   #147
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM5
3. The Dyno Graphs being posted are showing the psi readings and I understand those cars have a tune on them whether they be 335i, 135i or 1Ms.
What Im interested in is the psi readings shown on the dyno graphs none are less than 30psi.
What is the interpretation of these dyno graph psi readingsDoes the 30psi reading include the standard atmospheric pressure of 14.7psi in that figure?
Thus a car showing 30psi on the dyno is actually running is 15.3psi (30psi less 14.7psi = 15.3psi) or is the car really running 30psi? (that just seems way too much boost but I have to ask)
Hey Stu,

Glad you had a good day. I don't think I got to meet you. Don't remember seeing any M5.

I'm not too sure which dyno graphs you're referring to but the ones I see that are posted all have the boost curve within the teens for psi. Or am I missing something?

Last edited by froop; 03-18-2013 at 12:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 12:43 AM   #148
StuM5
Australia
Rep
Drives: E39 M5

Nah Froop! I'm the idiot missing something! I can't believe I was reading the wrong curve! I used to have a turbo car which spent time on dyno's too!

Last edited by StuM5; 03-18-2013 at 12:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 12:49 AM   #149
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM5 View Post
nah Froop I the idiot missing something! can't believe i was reading the wrong curve and I used to have a turbo which spent time on dyno's.
Hahaha I was just going to edit my post saying that's what might have happened =Þ

I don't think many if any have broken into the 20's for PSI on an N54.

It's a pity I didn't get a boost reading on my run due to the intake blocking the way but on Kenny's old dyno results it seems as though it ran up to a peak of about 18-19psi on 98 octane but tapers to around 17psi.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 12:58 AM   #150
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
Good to see Kenny's car still make the same numbers it made 18 months ago ... it is an awesome car that
Truly is!

I can't wait to get it out on the strip some more as well as the track.

I'll be heading up the Kulnara in May
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 07:58 AM   #151
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: N54 135i

Quote:
hmm yeah shall do some research and see if I can get Adrian from Vishnu to perhaps tune the car
Hey Shane,

do not be too disparaged by your results, the money spent on bolt-ons & fitment has definitely increased engine output, as you made an additional 16 rwkW on less boost, approximately 3.5 psi less.

The engine is happy as there are no sudden dips or rises in the power curve, power delivery is very smooth. The problem is at peak power the turbos are only developing around 10.5 psi of boost.

Your vehicle is now FBO and with an intake that flows without restriction, downpipes that remove a significant amount of exhaust turbine back pressure and an intercooler that should not heat soak after 1 or 2 pulls, you are quite safe to run 14.5-15.5 psi of boost at peak power on 98 RON fuel.

An additional 4-5 psi of boost pressure may not sound like a lot, but it is and it will spin the little TD03's towards the edge of their efficiency maps, but not past.

As Peter said the car is definitely down on boost and the smooth boost curve doesn't indicate there is a boost leak. Unfortunately there is a problem with the tune, but it may be something as simple as an incorrect user setting, that Peter can sort out.

If not I would suspect Adrian would be more than happy to investigate the issue, if you purchased the PROcede through him.

Rest assured that once the turbos are developing 15 psi of boost at peak power, you should be seeing 270 rwkW+ with the mods you have completed.

The mods you have done work and work well, assuming you have ar Catless downpipes, yeah?

If you add Methanol injection which will allow the PROcede to run (zero ignition correction) i.e. stock ignition timing whilst increasing turbocharger boost target to 17 psi, you will be knocking on the door of 300 rwkW such as froop or perhaps go past it, as I did pre RB turbo days.

Adrian has an uncanny knack of magically appearing out of thin air on this forum whenever his name or his PROcede "tune" is mentioned, so he may very well chime in hear before you have even had a chance to talk to him.

I hope the above info helps.

Cheers,

Justin.

Last edited by Justin@ADVAN Performance; 03-18-2013 at 04:58 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 05:30 PM   #152
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:

The E82 pulled 298.9 with the new Mr5 intake that I installed last Thursday (courtesy of Rey).

With a better launch I reckon it should be able to break into the sub 4s.
Wow and congratulations!!

I know it's only a 'number' but it would have been good to have seen you crack 300!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 05:36 PM   #153
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
What maps are you running Shane? I know you said you were running the latest maps as of Oct 2012 but do you know whether you are running the autotune maps or are you running the aggressive maps?

If you're running the aggressive maps, which stage?

I previously had the autotune maps but recently I installed the aggressive maps. I can't say whether or not I feel any butt dyno differences and unfortunately I have no comparison between dyno runs on the autotune vs the aggressive maps. If you are running the aggressive maps, with an FMIC and DPs you definitely should be upgrading to at least the stage 3 maps whereas if you were previously only running the tune, you may have had only the stage 1 maps installed.
TBH mate I'm clueless, all I know is Adrian uploaded the latest maps the day of installation.

I do know that when I picked the car up from advan with AR DP's FMIC etc installed the car seemed to really put me back in the seat, then a month or so later I had thought hmm it doesn't seem to have as much poke (I had just thought it was due to being used to the power, perhaps it was the autotune lowering boost?)

May I ask how does one check what maps are currently loaded (By linking the PC up to the ecu I'm guessing?)
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 05:50 PM   #154
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin@ADVAN Performance View Post
Hey Shane,

do not be too disparaged by your results, the money spent on bolt-ons & fitment has definitely increased engine output, as you made an additional 16 rwkW on less boost, approximately 3.5 psi less.

The engine is happy as there are no sudden dips or rises in the power curve, power delivery is very smooth. The problem is at peak power the turbos are only developing around 10.5 psi of boost.

Your vehicle is now FBO and with an intake that flows without restriction, downpipes that remove a significant amount of exhaust turbine back pressure and an intercooler that should not heat soak after 1 or 2 pulls, you are quite safe to run 14.5-15.5 psi of boost at peak power on 98 RON fuel.

An additional 4-5 psi of boost pressure may not sound like a lot, but it is and it will spin the little TD03's towards the edge of their efficiency maps, but not past.

As Peter said the car is definitely down on boost and the smooth boost curve doesn't indicate there is a boost leak. Unfortunately there is a problem with the tune, but it may be something as simple as an incorrect user setting, that Peter can sort out.

If not I would suspect Adrian would be more than happy to investigate the issue, if you purchased the PROcede through him.

Rest assured that once the turbos are developing 15 psi of boost at peak power, you should be seeing 270 rwkW+ with the mods you have completed.

The mods you have done work and work well, assuming you have ar Catless downpipes, yeah?

If you add Methanol injection which will allow the PROcede to run (zero ignition correction) i.e. stock ignition timing whilst increasing turbocharger boost target to 17 psi, you will be knocking on the door of 300 rwkW such as froop or perhaps go past it, as I did pre RB turbo days.

Adrian has an uncanny knack of magically appearing out of thin air on this forum whenever his name or his PROcede "tune" is mentioned, so he may very well chime in hear before you have even had a chance to talk to him.

I hope the above info helps.

Cheers,

Justin.
Gday Justin

Well yes you're 100% correct, it is making as much power as before with less boost which ultimately is a nice streetable safe tune as it is(which would be great as a map 1 on the procede) but as to why it isn't running as much boost on map 2 to where it should be and consequently not producing the numbers it should be is disappointing.

But on the flipside this is exactly what a dyno run is about for me, to diagnose the car for any issues, and whilst this isn't a 'issue' as such its basically just a window of opportunity to gain some more power. So rather then be gutted by the poor results, its an opportunity to find the source of the issue and gain an extra 20-40kw

Yes you guys installed AR DP's for me when the AMS fmic, active autowerke CP & BOV was installed just before xmas.

hmm meth, I must admit I have been doing a bit of research lately and it does have a lot of pros but I think I will look into that once I can decide on either fitting the wavetrac along with m3 bushes linkages and upgraded shocks/springs/coilovers or just go the whole hog and like Steve do the E92 M3 rear end setup with a 3:15 diff...

I don't know Adrian all that well but the few times I have contacted him he has always been helpful, and he strikes me as the type who enjoys a challenge. So it would be nice to get him out of the woodwork away from the subaru and provide some input into this issue (ultimately it would be great if I could get the car at advan on the dyno with Pete and Adrian there to tune the car!)
Appreciate 0