BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-19-2010, 01:55 AM   #1
Hannon
Rep
Drives:

How to rotate headlights

Hi guys,

I've owned my car for quite a while now, and I'm not sure if this problem came from the factory or started later.

I have a 120d with bi-xenon. The thing is, one of the headlights seems to be slightly rotated. The passenger side (right side) beam is rotated clockwise, so it tends to go up as it goes left and crosses the left side beam.

I've included a drawing to explain better...

Does anybody know how to fix this? I don't mind having to remove the headlights (and I know previously I'd have to remove the front bumper...), but it'd be great if somebody knew which knobs to turn and stuff...

Thanks in advance,
Cheers!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 02:58 AM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Is your car still under BMW warranty? I think you need a new headlight. Thats $1,000 or so.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 03:30 AM   #3
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

I don't think the OP needs a new headlight. Just seems like his beam throw is off.

I know there is a white knob which you rotate with an allen key - but that only changes the y-axis (height) of each light. There is another knob located (somewhere) in the engine bay that should change the x-axis (left/right) because I accidentally found it on my mum's X3 when I was fiddling with her lights.

Not sure where it is on our 1ers, but I'm sure someone can chime in.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 11:13 AM   #4
Hannon
Rep
Drives:

a new headlight? $1000? isn't there just a way to "adjust" the rotation? hmmm...

I'll take the car to service as soon as I have enough time then, but any other ideas would be welcome.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 03:39 PM   #5
Hannon
Rep
Drives:

Thank you guys.

Yes maxnix, I started noticing sometimes oncoming traffic would flash their lights to me. At first I rotated the leveling knob clockwise a bit so the beam would point down a bit more, but I ended up with useless low beams and sometimes I still got the rest of the traffic flashing their lights to me!!

by the way... could someone please upload a picture of how the xenon lights of your 1er look at night? Ideally pointing at a wall, so I can see the cutoff of the beam.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Hannon; 09-19-2010 at 04:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 08:26 PM   #6
Hannon
Rep
Drives:

Here's a picture of what my headlight beams look like... now that I payed even more attention, looks like the left beam is rotated counter-clockwise, rather than the right beam being rotated clockwise.

Either way, the problem is the same and I need my car to be checked by the dealer... any picture of your headlights would be welcome, as I'm thinking about showing the service guys this same forum thread.

Thanks in advance, bye!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 08:32 PM   #7
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Yeh, it definitely just looks like your beam throw is off. I'm gonna have a poke around my engine bay and see if I can find the knob for changing how it points.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 03:01 AM   #8
Hannon
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef Beef View Post
Yeh, it definitely just looks like your beam throw is off. I'm gonna have a poke around my engine bay and see if I can find the knob for changing how it points.
If you find the ones to move the beam horizontally it would be great, as I've only managed to find the ones to align vertically.

As for rotation adjustment, I just don't think it even exists...
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 03:08 AM   #9
Hannon
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
I think you were correct the first time. Looks like passenger side to me.

Should be easy to tell if you cover each one at a time.
Yeah, one of them must be off. Now I lowered the pass side a bit and raised the driver side another bit, so the left cutoffs are now aligned. However, the diagonal and right cutoffs seem to be off, and also both beams seem to be way too close together. Any opinions or other pictures for comparison?

Thanks.

P.S: This photos were taken aprox. 25ft from the wall. (yeah, a bad wall to take these pics... I was a bit hurried, I'll try to upload better pics later, but I think these will do for now so you can get an idea...)
Attached Images

Last edited by Hannon; 09-20-2010 at 01:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 07:57 AM   #10
tgxmike
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT, '21 Charger Scat

Garage List
2021 BMW M2  [0.00]
The headlight is probably not mounted correctly. Can you remove the headlight completely and then reinstall it. Maybe there is some sort of spacer missing, or screw that is not all the way down.... etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 01:36 PM   #11
Hannon
Rep
Drives:

Thanks tgxmike, that could be the issue too. I'll check if the headlights are mounted correctly, and anyway I'll have them checked on wednesday by the dealer.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 06:01 PM   #12
Hannon
Rep
Drives:

Hey guys, think I've figured it out. tgxmike was right. I found a loose screw on the right headlight, here's a video. No idea however on how to reach there and try to tighten it.

In the second part of the video you can see how the whole headlight unit moves when I apply some force to it. I tried to do the same thing with the other headlight and it didn't move at all.

Here's the link to the video. http://flic.kr/p/8CHSLb

Cheers!!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 09:55 AM   #13
Ash83
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i & RS5 (SOLD)/ 18 CTS-V

kool... good to know

Performance: JB4|BMW PE|DP Cosmetics: BMW Sport Pedals|Black Kidney Grill
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 05:13 PM   #14
Hannon
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
I bet there's a DIY tutorial on how to remove the headlights, maybe in the installing European headlight thread.
Thanks maxnix I found it. However I scheduled my 40.000kms service (something like 25.000 miles) for next monday, and they said they'd take care of the headlight issue.

I'll let you know what happens and upload new pictures when the headlights have been corrected/fixed.

Thank you all for your help.
Cheers.
Appreciate 0