BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-07-2011, 08:18 PM   #1
mschrube
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Driving Habits?

So I find myself having (what i think) interesting driving habits.
For one: I hate being behind a car on the highway whether they are going just as fast as I want or not. Id rather be first.
two: I always look at someone when I pass them
three: I think of other people on the road as my competition so I always have to catch them and pass them

What kind of interesting driving habits do you have?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 08:24 PM   #2
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Same as #1 and #2. #3 only applies if I see someone driving crazy or at WOT.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 08:36 PM   #3
KinoBoom
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

I hate it when people ride your ass until they get to pass you then they slow down!!!! you know what I do when they do that?? I cut them off!
Why you gotta try to pass someone if they are in front of you? I think you should go the speed you want or need, and not everyone is trying to compete with you.
I like to drive fast tho...
Interesting thread.
      08-07-2011, 08:41 PM   #4
RnmEvo9
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

If someone is riding my ass, I'll slow down enough for them to switch lanes to try to pass me, but then I'll speed up.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 08:43 PM   #5
KinoBoom
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnmEvo9 View Post
If someone is riding my ass, I'll slow down enough for them to switch lanes to try to pass me, but then I'll speed up.
That's funny for reals, done it a few times...
      08-07-2011, 09:15 PM   #6
Simsims
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 119/220

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrube View Post
For one: I hate being behind a car on the highway whether they are going just as fast as I want or not. Id rather be first.
three: I think of other people on the road as my competition so I always have to catch them and pass them

how old r u?
      08-07-2011, 10:00 PM   #7
bluejaypanther
Nerd!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW 135i Coupe 6MT

Quote:

I drive like this...

when I'm playing Gran Turismo. Does anyone else just pick a speed on the highway and go it? The only people I go out of my way to show up are those who do something truly offensive, like try to ram me into the guardrail for no reason. And I'm not particularly proud of that part of my personality either.
      08-07-2011, 10:32 PM   #8
3lusive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MINI JCW Hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejaypanther View Post
I drive like this...

when I'm playing Gran Turismo. Does anyone else just pick a speed on the highway and go it? The only people I go out of my way to show up are those who do something truly offensive, like try to ram me into the guardrail for no reason. And I'm not particularly proud of that part of my personality either.
I have pretty similar habits...while I do try to follow the general flow of traffic on the highway there are times when I'm feeling really laid back and just cruise at 5 over when others are 10-15 over.

Now I've never had the unfortunate experience of dealing with terrible drivers such as the one you've noted above but I'd be flaming mad if he did that to me. Of course my calm would kick in and then I'd probably be on the side of the road, taking a long long breather.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 03:11 AM   #9
mschrube
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simsims View Post
how old r u?
Im 21 but I like to drive fast and have an open road infront of me because it seems like I always end up behind the people that want to slam on their brakes for no reason randomly. I just dont like dealing with that.

And when someone passes me and then slows down just ticks me off. Get a radar detector if thats what your worried about or just stay behind me!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 03:22 AM   #10
fboutlaw
Cone Cruncher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan 135i

Quote:

Get this out of you at the track. You give us a bad name (and high insurance rates).

Highways = defensive driving. There are already enough idiots out there.
Track/AutoX = get the crazy out.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 05:03 AM   #11
IDBMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

I like being a fair distance behind a car that is going fast. That is the technique I use with my radar detector. The cop hits the radar on the guy in front and my radar detector gets the signal to let me know the radar is out there. Usually the lead car gets a ticket. The OP seems like the guy I follow that gets the ticket. But at 21 I was getting a couple of tickets a year and driving like I stole it.

If the lead car is going under the speed limit I will pass and go 5 – 10 mph over the speed limit depending how lucky I feel and what road conditions I have. If someone wants to pass me I have no problem at all but you better be going faster than me.

Yep, I give a glance as I pass.

I look at a few others on the road as competition but I keep the game around the speed limits and make sure I am not an ahole. And if you have a go at the competition give them a wave. Even if I get smoked I will at least give them the thumbs up. I think it is weird that someone wants to have a little fun and play but will not look at you when you pull up next to them. What’s up with that!
      08-08-2011, 06:33 AM   #12
amancuso
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330it, 428ix, 430i

Seriously, you guys need to chill out. I usually stay within 7 miles of the speed limit on interstates, and usually use the middle or right lane, except when passing. Tailgaters are a big No-No. I often let them pass. Feeling like "everyone on the road is your competition" can lead to bad judgements and accidents. More and more I'm noticing the general lack of courtesy on the roads and careless driving. Just the other day I was behind a car on my way home from work on a 2 lane 35 MPH road. At a stop light one lane is a left only lane and often I see people disregard that and cause accidents. This one day I wasn't going to let it rest, so I spoke to the person at the next light. Her response simply was " I don't know this area, I was just following my GPS." Really, so she happened to miss all the painted arrows on the road and the signs? This is happening more and more and making driving very stressful.
      08-08-2011, 06:37 AM   #13
sjp3003
Private
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 50i

[QUOTE=IDBMW;10180107]I like being a fair distance behind a car that is going fast. That is the technique I use with my radar detector. The cop hits the radar on the guy in front and my radar detector gets the signal to let me know the radar is out there...

If the lead car is going under the speed limit I will pass and go 5 – 10 mph over the speed limit.

Yep, I give a glance as I pass.

+1 minus the passing glance...not looking for three honk youtube video glory.
2013 KTM 1190 Adventure
2013 Husqvarna Terra 650
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 06:48 AM   #14
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Key to not getting a ticket on the highway: Go 10mph over as a maximum
1. A highway patrol will not pull over someone going 8-10mph over speed limit 95%
2. If you have a radar detector and pick up the cop lightly tapping your brakes once brings you to the speed limit or under it...

This is taken from a Highway patrol acquaintance of mine
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 07:09 AM   #15
hugo
Registered
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 123d

Garage List
2011 BMW 123d  [0.00]
I try (really hard sometimes) to be laid back and just cruise.
I'll never tailgate but have had it done to me quite a few times even though I drive 9km over the limit, this is the official legal cut-off to issue a ticket on 120km roads in my country (I'm using real/GPS speed which on my 123d speedo is 136!) or sometimes even when I'm going 145-ish real speed and they still tailgate.

When this happens I do get an adrinaline rush and used to "play" with the other car, forcing a lane switch, speeding up forcing them behind me again. I've had one completely wacko crazy stupid guy on the outside lane of a 4 lane + emergency lane road go all the way over to the emergency lane (full of gravel) past a truck, shoot in between 2 trucks and some cares on the 2 center lanes just to get in front of me (and subsequently be stuck behind (and tailgating) the next car!
At that point I realized that this game would not be "won" but will eventually be lost and I would never change anyone's habit with this "game", such people do not realize what they are doing and would probably be very violent/dangerous if anything did happen and we would have to stop and get out the car. So since that revelation I don't do it anymore, let them pass and like IDBMW use them as an advance speed trap warning ;-)
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 11:19 AM   #16
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:

Last time I was in Texas, the signs said "Drive Friendly". What happened?

Tom
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 11:23 AM   #17
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
You are as bad as the prius drivers out there lol
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 11:31 AM   #18
dcho
Captain
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Last time I was in Texas, the signs said "Drive Friendly". What happened?

Tom
you have to, or else you'll get shot.
      08-08-2011, 03:23 PM   #19
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
I haven't broken habit with my 135i that I didnt do with previous cars. I usually stay within 10mph of the speed limit, depending on the road (school zones I dont play around with, strictly do the speed limit). I am a stickler for the turn signal, I use them always and hate on those people who don't (usually the ones cutting me off in the process).

The only major difference I've had to change since owning my 135i is, I have to pay a lot more attention to the speedo with this car. It doesnt take any effort to speed in this thing. Also, I find myself mashing the throttle more, just to hear the spool and pssh. I love that

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 04:00 PM   #20
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I try to "behave". I usually drive within 5mph of the speed limit back and forth to work (I've done the math, I can't save enough time to be worth going faster) and I go 7-10 mph over on cruise when on trips. My problem is the people that will not allow me to leave a little space between me and the car in front (because they are cutting in), the people that go ridulously slow, especially on ramps where I want to have fun, trucks that can't carry the hills so they want to pass on the downhill to block on the uphill and the people that pass me just to be in front and then slow down. Most of the latter are "foot drivers" who are not using cruise. Around these annoying people I am tempted to let the bimmer go up a bit in rpm and get away from the annoyance. I haven't been caught doing this yet but if I do the ticket will be expensive. Best to just find another way to avoid the annoyance.

I used to drive more aggressively on the street but I got a few more years driving in and decided it was stupid. I've put my shoe in the open window of an annoying car before while riding my motorcycle (while going around 60mph). Really dumb stuff. But if you do enough dumb stuff, you are going to pay..... Autocrosses and driving schools are better ways to push your car and don't involve tickets, wrecks, or increased insurance costs.

Jim
      08-08-2011, 04:28 PM   #21
BlueforMonaco
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 128 msport

I try to never look at the other drivers and try to remain as objective as possible, as if the other vehicles were controlled by computers. Emotions don't belong behind the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 05:03 PM   #22
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Not cool just move over and let them pass. Or drop it to 4th and smoke'em.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0