BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-03-2013, 01:15 AM   #1
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Suggestions for an amplifier for Harmon Kardon Speakers

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone with good knowledge of amps, speakers etc could help me out with selecting a good amplifier to match the HK speakers and how it would be wired up.

From my understanding, the Logic 7 amp that's normally paired with the speakers are 2x70W @ 4Ω for the subwoofers and 6 x 40W @ 2Ω for the other 4 mids and 4 tweeters.

When I had a look at the wiring, both of the front and rear tweeters are plugged into an output on the mids with the input for both going into the mids so I assume they're wired in serial.

I went to a car audio place near where I live who recommended a 5 channel Hertz Amplifier, http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/Doc/h...5_tech_eng.pdf. I'm assuming that it would be 2 channels to each of the front left and right mid/tweeter pairs and 2 channels to the rear left and right mid/tweeter pairs with the last channel to power the 2 subwoofers. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

To be honest, I'm just interested in getting some more potential out of the HK speakers that I have and I don't really want to spend too much money if possible. The above amp costs $600-700 here in Australia which is probably a bit more than I was looking to spend but if it's the best option for my situation and price then I'd probably go for it.

I currently have the head unit for the base stereo system.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Alex
Appreciate 0