E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Front Plate Install

07-08-2005, 02:59 AM   #1
collinp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Front Plate Install

Without even requesting it my dealer was kind enough to not mount the front license plate holder on my car. While it kills me to do it I've decided to install the front license plate. Its just not worth it to taunt California's Highway Patrol for aesthetics.

So before I mess up my new car, any suggestions for installing the front plate holder? Do I just center it and shoot these screws in? Should I drill pilot holes? Are there any less destructive ways to mount this thing?

Thanks,
Collin
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2005, 03:07 AM   #2
AznBeemer23
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jet Black Hamann E90

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I'd just take the car back to the Dealership and have them install it......
My car came with it...I forgot to tell the dealer that I didn't want it....
now my car has the holes drilled in
2006 330i Automatic |Jet Black | Black Leather | Brushed Aluminum | Premium Package | Sports Package | iDrive & Navigation | 5% Tint | Hamann Kit | Tein SS-P Coilover | Forgeline VR3P 19x8.5 front 19x10 rear | Falken FK-451 235/35ZR19 Front 265/30ZR19 Rear | Rotora 6 Pistons Front 4 Pistons Rear Big Brake Kit | Fujita Air Intake

www.uucmotorwerks.com www.foxmarketing.net www.falkentire.com www.rotora.com www.f5air.com www.tein.com www.wheelpower.com
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2005, 07:21 AM   #3
scottz5
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 535xi & 11.75 E93 M3

leave if off you were very lucky imo
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2005, 10:20 AM   #4
tima
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i ZSP/TiAg/Blk

If you decide to install, note the small tabs on the bottom of the plate holder as the fit into precut slots on the underside of the bumper. Effectively there is only one position so it is pre-centered for you. Sadly, the screws go directly into the bumper plastic like it was sheet metal - there is no threading - so once the plate is aligned properly with tabs into slots, just shoot the screws in. No pilot should be necessary, but you could always drill v. small ones to be cautious.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2005, 12:16 PM   #5
BellasBmw
If love is the answer,please rephrase the question
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tit Silver 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Im in Ca too and i asked my dealer if he can take off my front license plate as well, he said nope, cause i guess the highway patrol has been really picky about this lately, and they dont want any chance of accusations. Then i asked him about putting on just a BMW emblem instead of the actual license, once again, he said he wouldnt do it cause they have been on people for it.
      07-08-2005, 02:59 PM   #6
collinp
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellasBmw
Im in Ca too and i asked my dealer if he can take off my front license plate as well, he said nope, cause i guess the highway patrol has been really picky about this lately, and they dont want any chance of accusations. Then i asked him about putting on just a BMW emblem instead of the actual license, once again, he said he wouldnt do it cause they have been on people for it.
The only request I made of my dealer was not to add any badging. I wasn't thinking about the front plate, but rather any dealer decals. Another local dealer actually affixes their name to the paint job on the rear of the cars, ugh! Anyway, for the front plate they had me sign some piece of paper saying that they gave me the front mounting bracket and informed me that state laws require a front license plate. Now I've got a pristine bumper. I can't believe I'm contemplating drilling holes in it. Stupid laws.

Thanks for the mounting tips everyone. I'll look for the centering slots under the bumper. That's another one of those nice BMW touches.

- Collin
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2005, 06:06 PM   #7
bzzbenz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93

No front plate was the first thing i asked about even before i ordered the car.... i just know i will get there and it will have one on... (this happend on my c class, they had to replace the front bumper) I hope everything goes well....
      07-08-2005, 10:10 PM   #8
KUweatherman
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Civic Si

I applaud you collinp for actually being a law abiding citizen, unlike these other people.

sidenote: bzzbenz, if state law says you need a front plate and the dealer installed the bracket like they should have, there is no way in the world they should have had to replace the front bumper. Hopefully the dealer charged you for the work...
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2005, 10:37 PM   #9
tima
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i ZSP/TiAg/Blk

If you're going to run with a front plate - for whatever reason - ask your dealer as a part of your purchase to paint the plate holder to match your car. Its a small but nice added touch.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2005, 12:55 AM   #10
collinp
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUweatherman
I applaud you collinp for actually being a law abiding citizen, unlike these other people.
Not totally law abiding. I confess I have a little trouble with this speed limit concept. But the way I see it, pick your battles. Taking off the front plate allows you to get away with running these Orwellian photo lights we've got here in CA. I don't need a cop harassing me because he thinks I'm some red light running punk.

I saw a 325 today at the car wash with the front plate installed. I stared at it for a while. It didn't look that bad. It does look better without it, but it's not that big a deal. Actually, I think the front end looks best with Euro plates on. Its clearly designed for it. It's too bad they don't offer Euro style plates here in the US. I'd actually be eager to install them.

- Collin
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2005, 02:03 AM   #11
KUweatherman
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Civic Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinp
Not totally law abiding. I confess I have a little trouble with this speed limit concept. But the way I see it, pick your battles. Taking off the front plate allows you to get away with running these Orwellian photo lights we've got here in CA. I don't need a cop harassing me because he thinks I'm some red light running punk.

I saw a 325 today at the car wash with the front plate installed. I stared at it for a while. It didn't look that bad. It does look better without it, but it's not that big a deal. Actually, I think the front end looks best with Euro plates on. Its clearly designed for it. It's too bad they don't offer Euro style plates here in the US. I'd actually be eager to install them.

- Collin
I have an issue with that speed limit thing every once in awhile, haha. Try to watch it through town though. I've been trying to get the 'front plate doesnt look bad on the E90' thing through these people's heads for a long time. At least I know I'm not alone now, lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2005, 07:04 AM   #12
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tima
If you're going to run with a front plate - for whatever reason - ask your dealer as a part of your purchase to paint the plate holder to match your car. Its a small but nice added touch.
My previous Passat came with a painted front holder to match the car, which I thought was a nice touch. Glad I never needed it though! We don't have a front plate in Delaware!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2005, 01:21 PM   #13
Kao BMW
iLOVE90
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Unlike Italian car designers, German designers incorporate car designs with the euro plate in mind. They shape the lines to go well aesthetically with the plate. Not having the plates is like altering the designs of the designer. We all have to respect the designers point of view... only if you're in Europe. US plates just suck IMO. The dimensions are totally wrong.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2005, 10:15 AM   #14
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E31 E90 F25 MCS

Quote:
Without even requesting it my dealer was kind enough to not mount the front license plate holder on my car. While it kills me to do it I've decided to install the front license plate. Its just not worth it to taunt California's Highway Patrol for aesthetics.

So before I mess up my new car, any suggestions for installing the front plate holder? Do I just center it and shoot these screws in? Should I drill pilot holes? Are there any less destructive ways to mount this thing?

Thanks,
Collin
So . . . did you install them yourself?
Were the tabs in the bumper fool-proof/self-centering?

Unfortunately, and unbelievably, my wife just called to tell me she got pulled over on only the SECOND day with the friggin' car, so it looks like I'm going to have to install the bracket.

Instead of the self-tapping screws, I'm considering using 3M heavy-duty mounting tape, but am concerned that the bracket will come flying off one day. That would seriously suck. Any thoughts from the group?

Mike
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2005, 10:39 AM   #15
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:

- Collin
look, i have them on. i see the cops looking at me. they are not sure if its real or not. so they dont even bother pulling me over. knock on wood.
my car at treasure island.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2005, 11:05 AM   #16
BMRu4ia
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i VR

I love the Euro plates

I wonder is there is a way of getting your actual USA plate number on a euro style plate or replica euro style plate.
I'm sure there's someone out there making these as novelty items.

Nevermind ..found one http://superiorcarcare.net/eurlicplat.html

Last edited by BMRu4ia; 09-02-2005 at 02:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2005, 12:28 PM   #17
BMW 2006
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330I - '06 - 6 Spd

I ordered my E90 and told them a million times NOT to drill holes for my plates. They screwed up and did it anyway. Tried to get them to give me a new bumper but states since it is California Law .. they will be fined too if I get pulled over and ticketed! Has anyone heard this?? I gave up with the fight but still ticked off at what they did!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2005, 12:31 PM   #18
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW 2006
I ordered my E90 and told them a million times NOT to drill holes for my plates. They screwed up and did it anyway. Tried to get them to give me a new bumper but states since it is California Law .. they will be fined too if I get pulled over and ticketed! Has anyone heard this?? I gave up with the fight but still ticked off at what they did!
yeah, its true. california state law requires dealers to have front plates put on. when you get them, its up to you to leave it on or not. butthe dealer have to install the plate holder.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2005, 12:33 PM   #19
MonacoBlueNJ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 330i

Quote:
How would the cops ever know where you purchased the vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2005, 12:48 PM   #20
BellasBmw
If love is the answer,please rephrase the question
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tit Silver 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Yep, same thing happened to me also. I told them if they could remove the front plate- and they told me that it was illegal and they had to install the front plates due to insurance issues/legal issues. They told me if i wanted to later remove it, it would be my own fault if something happnes, but they cannot do it.
      09-02-2005, 01:01 PM   #21
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoBlueNJ
How would the cops ever know where you purchased the vehicle?
its not the cops, if the dealer dont have plate holder install for you, you can actually go after the dealer when you get he ticket. they dont want to take the chance. yeah , so you say you wont, but when you get a ticket you will.....ahahahha......
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2005, 01:08 PM   #22
seh
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Question

Bella, which dealer was this in San Diego?

I heard a similar warning from Brecht, but both Cunningham and BoSD have been supportive of the no-front-plate idea. The car has yet to arrive to test their word.
Appreciate 0