BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-06-2008, 01:23 PM   #23
arrutled
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Olsa

except my used porsche wont have a 4 year warranty! and hopefully if you get a used porsche, please for god sake dont get a boxster!!!

AW 135i w/ blackette, performance short shift kit, BMW alarm, Performance rotors, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Direzza Star Spec 235/275, Dinan stage 3 suspension, M3 wishbones/tension rods/front sway/rear subframe bushings and thats all folks!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 01:35 PM   #24
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

I know you wan-it... If you have already driven a 1, you have to buy it. If you have not, maybe you can save some $$$.... Hmmm I think I didn't even own a car at 23. Now I can have anything I want. I did that by shrude saving, and not being like everyone else and have everything now. I waited.

So each to his own.

EspressoBoy
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 01:37 PM   #25
gargoyal
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

If I was in his shoes I would go 1998 M3, it' fast, luxury ,looks great, and not that expensive. The sorority chicks will think he comes from money and he would have a few bucks to play the game. He could save $2000-3000 up front and $100-150 or so a month for bigger and better things.

Total win-win-win . Cool car- chicks- cash

Damn now I wish I was him, but my wife would kill me
      08-06-2008, 01:45 PM   #26
All4One
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135icp

The old Jedi master have spoken...and its good to listen. You have an STI at 23. That's an awesome achievement. Paid for? College loans? Credit card debt? Its a good time to look back...the best jedi's are those who best timed when to move forward and time their retreats.
      08-06-2008, 02:05 PM   #27
Ev0lutionSm0ke
Private
Rep
Drives:

I have no college loans, I go to school for free (Scholarship) besides fee's. I have no credit card debt or anything. I do my fair share of saving as it is now. An buying a 135i, would just be an extra $100 a month to my STI now, which isn't to bad. Still on the fence though, I do appreciate everyones response. An will gladly take more opinons!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 02:19 PM   #28
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

This is odd. You sound extremely bright, and have managed to be like very few... zero debt. (I personally hate debt) Yet you can't buy this car? It's a car, not a sole mate for life. If you are in such a good state, and really can't decide, lease for 2 years.

Do you live at home? Do you have to run this by dad/mom? If I was at home I would, just to make sure everyone is happy.

Other than that, if you want an opinion, if I was in your shoes, I would not even be asking (unless we don't know all the facts) I would have already be signing.

Oh a few other things, are you getting NAV? Do you have a bad winter where you are? If I was going to get the car in fall, only to drive in winter, I would time it for early spring pickup. As for NAV, 2009 is looking quite interesting. Worth possibly waiting if that is part of the picture. Other than that... hmmm nothing else worth saying here.

EspressoBoy

Use the force...
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 02:23 PM   #29
Ev0lutionSm0ke
Private
Rep
Drives:

I do live at home, Currently no rent or any bills there. The only things I got added to this 135i were the sports package, and iPod/USB adaptor. the finaly price comes out a little over $35,000, which I think is a steal.

I dont have to run it by my dad, but he would like to know. Even though I go to school, and have a good job he will always call me a dumbass when it comes to purchasing cars, that's just the way he is. haha
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 02:52 PM   #30
gargoyal
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowbr4 View Post
I do live at home, Currently no rent or any bills there. The only things I got added to this 135i were the sports package, and iPod/USB adaptor. the finaly price comes out a little over $35,000, which I think is a steal.

I dont have to run it by my dad, but he would like to know. Even though I go to school, and have a good job he will always call me a dumbass when it comes to purchasing cars, that's just the way he is. haha
So you are living on your mommy on daddy's dime so you can have a big boy’s toy.

Nothing personal, but you need to move out, support yourself and be a man or you need to get your parent's permission.

You are saving $700-2000 per month by living at home. It is good form to make sure that you are not abusing your parent’s financial support. You need to get their input.

Also the car will never be a panty remover if you live at home
      08-06-2008, 02:55 PM   #31
syenisch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe

You're in the same position I am - I am 22 years old, am currently an intern at Lockheed Martin making a pretty good buck for an intern, and am 99% sure I am set for a full time position if I want it when I graduate in December w/ my mechanical engineering degree. If I work full time at Lockheed, I will live at home and have next to no expenses. I won't even have to pay that much in gas to get to work - my dad works at Lockheed too. I will pitch in for food (my moral decision) and that's about it. It's really tempting to go place an order TODAY, but I'm holding off. I don't want to take a car like that up to college where it'll probably get beat up by mindless spoiled sorority girls and bake in the sun all day (this car should be garaged). It's tough, and I'll probably end up caving early next year after I've graduated, even though it's probably not a good idea financially. It's easy to convince yourself you deserve a reward for all your hardwork (good GPA, no drugs, etc.)
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 03:06 PM   #32
Ev0lutionSm0ke
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargoyal View Post
So you are living on your mommy on daddy's dime so you can have a big boy’s toy.

Nothing personal, but you need to move out, support yourself and be a man or you need to get your parent's permission.

You are saving $700-2000 per month by living at home. It is good form to make sure that you are not abusing your parent’s financial support. You need to get their input.

Also the car will never be a panty remover if you live at home

No offense here, my college is 15 minutes away from my house. Why move out, if I am still a student and don't have too? The only way they financially support me is letting me live there(which I am sure my dad likes considering he would be living with noone else). Also I don't get a car because it is a panty remover...I workout which is my panty remover, . plus there is always a backseat of a car.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 04:00 PM   #33
Ev0lutionSm0ke
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by syenisch View Post
You're in the same position I am - I am 22 years old, am currently an intern at Lockheed Martin making a pretty good buck for an intern, and am 99% sure I am set for a full time position if I want it when I graduate in December w/ my mechanical engineering degree. If I work full time at Lockheed, I will live at home and have next to no expenses. I won't even have to pay that much in gas to get to work - my dad works at Lockheed too. I will pitch in for food (my moral decision) and that's about it. It's really tempting to go place an order TODAY, but I'm holding off. I don't want to take a car like that up to college where it'll probably get beat up by mindless spoiled sorority girls and bake in the sun all day (this car should be garaged). It's tough, and I'll probably end up caving early next year after I've graduated, even though it's probably not a good idea financially. It's easy to convince yourself you deserve a reward for all your hardwork (good GPA, no drugs, etc.)

Damn man, Lockheed is a great place. I work for constellation energy. but yeah i know exactly what you mean with the Good GPA, and no drugs. You see so many of your friends get into drugs, and still have nice cars. Which makes you feel you deserve something great for everything you have acheived.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 08:50 AM   #34
Ev0lutionSm0ke
Private
Rep
Drives:

Found out today I am keeping my internship through the fall! Woo! Now I think I should purchase it!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 08:49 AM   #35
syenisch
Captain
United_States
Rep

Cool man, congrats! What color combo and options are you planning on ordering?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 09:11 AM   #36
135iPSU
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Definitely go with the 1, you will love it once you ride in it
      08-12-2008, 09:13 AM   #37
arrutled
Colonel
Rep

<-------see my graduation present?????? graduated with honors in engineering and chemistry! please college students, unless your filthy filthy rich wait untill you graduate! you might have more bills to pay soon! i paid for mine full out, so i dont have a payment and that works perfect. think hard before you buy! when you do buy though you wont regret it! promise!

AW 135i w/ blackette, performance short shift kit, BMW alarm, Performance rotors, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Direzza Star Spec 235/275, Dinan stage 3 suspension, M3 wishbones/tension rods/front sway/rear subframe bushings and thats all folks!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 01:02 PM   #38
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

I'm hearing some skewed priorities, but I fully realize that's just part of being 22 or 23, which wasn't that long ago for me either.

I went camping with a bunch of friends over the weekend, and a semi long-term aquaintance of mine pulled up to the campsite with his girl in a brand new 08 Tundra...lifted, wheels/tires, etc. I told him "hey nice truck man" and everything, but in the back of my mind I couldn't help thinking "hey nice truck man...26 years old and still getting off easy living with dad though?"

He's one of those guys that will probably never learn unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 01:08 PM   #39
GigEm93
1derful
Rep
Drives: SGM 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrutled View Post
<-------see my graduation present?????? graduated with honors in engineering and chemistry! please college students, unless your filthy filthy rich wait untill you graduate! you might have more bills to pay soon! i paid for mine full out, so i dont have a payment and that works perfect. think hard before you buy! when you do buy though you wont regret it! promise!
Very impressive, congrats arrutled. When I graduated I had $20k in college loan debt. I can't imagine graduating and having enough to buy a 1er outright... nicely done! :roundel:
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 01:26 PM   #40
All4One
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135icp

Mowbr, we are thinly threading a line of meddling with your life but you did ask for our opinions. I am partly aggreeing with Brandon and arruttled but you see, some people dont look at living with your folks at your age aggreeable. the ideal concept is to live and afford independently then inch your way up to get nicer toys/gadgets, equipment as you move along. i have seen economies bust and boom and we are looking at 5 year survival level in your case (time to pay off your car loan -if you wont pay cash). A case in point, the Silicon Valley had the most BMWs sold during the boom. Right after a year or 2, BMW had the most inventory of CPO. Wait till you graduate, settle down on a job you enjoy, then it is time to get 40k or higher cars. Bottom line, if you rent right now, pay for evrything you need, will you be able to afford at least 1K a month for the next 4 years? How about travel? I can see some kinks on your armor already, you are still a student and got an STI. Oh well, some people will disagree with my thoughts but what can we do? Different priorities in life is the answer.

i always remember the passage from tolkien's lord of the Rings(Nurburgring ha ha ha). When in doubt follow your heart, do not seek for advise for advise is a dangerous gift, not even from the wise to the wise, all courses could run ill.

It is you who have the answers.
      08-12-2008, 01:40 PM   #41
arrutled
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GigEm93 View Post
Very impressive, congrats arrutled. When I graduated I had $20k in college loan debt. I can't imagine graduating and having enough to buy a 1er outright... nicely done! :roundel:
Lots of internships and co-ops! and two jobs while in school!! oh and signing bonus! thanks! :thumbup:

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 01:47 PM   #42
syenisch
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by All4One View Post
Wait till you graduate, settle down on a job you enjoy, then it is time to get 40k or higher cars.
I agree - although I didn't state it that clearly before, that's exactly my plan and one I would encourage all current college students to follow!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 02:05 PM   #43
roldan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

I just graduated and got a 1er after landing a job that paid better than I expected.

I think one thing you should factor in is that there will likely be unforeseen expenses. A flat tire, excise taxes, speeding tickets, car detailing supplies, that sort of thing.

But I think the reality is that we all make choices about how we spend our money and that a 135 (or an STI) is more car than you need and a relatively expensive thing to own, regardless of how much you make. I was cross-shopping the Mazdaspeed3, which is much more practical, half the cost, and nearly as fast, but after driving the 1er there wasn't really a contest.

So basically: do what you want. It might be a mistake, but it'll be a fun mistake.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 03:04 PM   #44
gargoyal
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

^^^ +1 Agreed

I think us old guys are just trying to get you not to make the mistakes we did.

I made a LOT of financial mistakes when I was in my 20's. Given another chance I would have done things a lot different, because I now know I could have more now and would of done more by waiting a little .

I don't REGRET any of my decisions. I had a blast.