BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-28-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
bdoooh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 SSII M5 CP

New wheels + tires or just tires?

I just took delivery of my 135i m-sport this past weekend! I'm planning out new tires here in a month or so.. since these RFTs aren't very good.. Since I don't have a spare or a place for a spare, I feel a little uneasy just getting new tires.. so I was thinking I'd get tires already mounted on some VMR710s and if I were to ever get a flat, I could just throw on my stocker wheels + tires until I get it taken care of.. But is it worth the steep price just to be prepared? Or should I just risk it... I dont' know!
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 01:56 PM   #2
ParkNuts
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance

There is always the option to get a tire repair kit that will work for non runflats. I believe it is a little air pump that plugs into your DC outlet and a bottle of slime or plugs for the hole. That would be a less expensive alternative if you are satisfied with your wheels and just want some new tires.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 05:26 AM   #3
ZIPNBYE
Let's save military ranks for those who earn it!
Canada
Rep
Drives: ...on the Ragged Edge

Garage List
Ditch the run flats, no matter what.
2011 BMW 1-series M Coupe (#205/220) -- Valencia Orange (sold)
2009 BMW 135i M-Sport Coupe -- Space Grey (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 08:46 AM   #4
bdoooh
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkNuts View Post
There is always the option to get a tire repair kit that will work for non runflats. I believe it is a little air pump that plugs into your DC outlet and a bottle of slime or plugs for the hole. That would be a less expensive alternative if you are satisfied with your wheels and just want some new tires.
That is true.. I could always do that. I suppose with BMW Roadside Assistance and I also have AAA, I could just get towed somewhere to get a normal non rft tired repaired as well. I always just imagine that performance tires, once they're blown.. they're generally not repairable but that's probably not entirely true.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 08:47 AM   #5
bdoooh
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIPNBYE View Post
Ditch the run flats, no matter what.
Oh I definitely intend to very very soon. I don't plan to mod the car for at least 6 months.. Trying to hold off this time around.. but these tires? ..are just garbage. It's cold out right now.. I know.. but, they aren't at all sticky.. I blame the understeer I've been experiencing entirely on these RFTs haha.

I just need new tires on before April.. when Autox season starts up.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #6
mike06612
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 convertible

Why do you need four mounted tires for spares?

Mount the new tires on the current wheels, and get one of the old tires mounted on a cheap wheel to use as a spare.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 08:55 PM   #7
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

A mobility kit and a plug kit are all you need, plus your AAA membership, that's a lot less $$ than new wheels, even cheap ones......also understeer is not going to change much with only a tire change on a 135i, the car is prone to understeer and it only gets worse on summer tires in temps below 40 degrees.
      03-02-2012, 07:26 AM   #8
bdoooh
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike06612 View Post
Why do you need four mounted tires for spares?

Mount the new tires on the current wheels, and get one of the old tires mounted on a cheap wheel to use as a spare.
Wouldn't I need at least 2 though? ..since the front and rears are different sizes..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESC OFF View Post
A mobility kit and a plug kit are all you need, plus your AAA membership, that's a lot less $$ than new wheels, even cheap ones......also understeer is not going to change much with only a tire change on a 135i, the car is prone to understeer and it only gets worse on summer tires in temps below 40 degrees.
Yeah it's been in the 30s and low 40s here lately, with these current tires it understeers like crazy.. but that's just the nature of summer tires in the cold. I know it's not going to fix the understeer problem, but it'll help.. One of these days.. M3 suspension kit! ..but for now? ..since this is my first RWD car, I will keep being amused with fixing understeer with throttle.. unlike my previous car..(Mazdaspeed3) More throttle in a corner with understeer just makes more understeer haha.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 08:39 PM   #9
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoooh View Post
Wouldn't I need at least 2 though? ..since the front and rears are different sizes..?

Yeah it's been in the 30s and low 40s here lately, with these current tires it understeers like crazy.. but that's just the nature of summer tires in the cold. I know it's not going to fix the understeer problem, but it'll help.. One of these days.. M3 suspension kit! ..but for now? ..since this is my first RWD car, I will keep being amused with fixing understeer with throttle.. unlike my previous car..(Mazdaspeed3) More throttle in a corner with understeer just makes more understeer haha.
You may want to consider changing camber too, playing around with tire presures can also help...of course going into a corner under throttle is the wrong approach to correct understeer... try lifting the throttle, let the weight transfer into the front wheels, take the corner and then accelerate...slow in/fast out!

Last edited by ESC OFF; 03-07-2012 at 08:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 07:34 AM   #10
bdoooh
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESC OFF View Post
You may want to consider changing camber too, playing around with tire presures can also help...of course going into a corner under throttle is the wrong approach to correct understeer... try lifting the throttle, let the weight transfer into the front wheels, take the corner and then accelerate...slow in/fast out!
Right. And yeah, I wasn't talking about going into the corner with throttle, but when taking a corner under normal circumstance.. when my FWD car would understeer I would quickly straighten the wheel & hit the brakes since the contact patch for stopping is greater then.. and then turn the wheel again to correct now that Iv'e lowered my speed.. I was saying in the 135, instead of that I was able to correct understeer by giving it throttle to rotate the back around. Of course not the fastest way around a corner.. but I'm on the street.. and still amused by RWD haha.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 07:00 PM   #11
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Get new wheels and tires for summer, use the stock rims for winter, get a donut for the trunk.