BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-22-2009, 02:20 PM   #1
Deepseabluered
Rep
Drives: Deep Sea Blue, Red Lthr, 135i

BMW 135i Winter Tires

Hi Guys,

Picking up a 1 series this week in Munich and driving it over to Vienna. Currently ten day forecasts show weather being in 40s-50s. What are your recommendations on the stock summer/performance tires vs. winter tires. I am ok to just put chains on it and drive it? Never really had to deal with the snow before because I am from south Texas.

I know if it drops below 40 I prolly will stop and not drive it but how bout in the 40's-50's?

Any advise would be great. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2009, 03:18 PM   #2
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Chains??
No, get a set of snows like the Dunlop Wintersport 3Ds from the Tire Rack and you'll be all set. I'm not sure how much of a difference you would see between summer and winter tires due to cold temperatures until you get close to freezing.
      11-22-2009, 03:36 PM   #3
Lionel Hutz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
Chains??
No, get a set of snows like the Dunlop Wintersport 3Ds from the Tire Rack and you'll be all set. I'm not sure how much of a difference you would see between summer and winter tires due to cold temperatures until you get close to freezing.
I don't think this will do him much good in Munich.

As long as you're in the 40s and 50s, just drive gingerly and you will be fine with the summer RFTs. You won't be getting nearly as much traction as you would in the 70s, but they are completely driveable. They are also ok with a *very* light dusting of snow, as long as you leave lots of room for stopping and don't get on the throttle in corners. If snow starts accumulating, just hang out at a cafe and wait for the roads to get plowed and salted.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2009, 04:11 PM   #4
Deepseabluered
Rep
Drives: Deep Sea Blue, Red Lthr, 135i

Thanks for the reply guys. I plan to turn in the car on December 1st in Vienna, with the Vienna drop off as opposed to Munich, is there anymore increase in the redelivery time.

Im assuming its 6-8 weeks for texas?

Also, we do not have to pay any fees for them shipping it over, its all included in the destination fee right?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2009, 04:27 PM   #5
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

There is a noticible loss of grip just before freezing (ie 1-2C or like 38-35F if I remember correctly, havent had the rfts in a while) I would not recommend driving anywhere near freezing. If you live in the Pitt now anyway I would say just buy a nice set of winters...youll need em anyway.

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2009, 04:46 PM   #6
ForesT
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

As long as you stay away from the alps I think you will do fine on summer tires. Just watch out for freezing temperature because summer tires are very bad on ice/snow. But we have like +8C in Sweden (Scandinavia) this week so I think it will be even warmer and better in south of Europe
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 07:30 PM   #7
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Oops, my misread.
You can rent snows if you plan on going into the Alps. It's not that big a deal apparently.