BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-18-2013, 10:47 AM   #23
WGScales
Private
Rep
Drives: Merlot Red 2003 Z4 3.0

Garage List
"Best" is more than numbers. Pretty stupid to declare victory based on one data point. Unless that is all you've got to work with. Hmmmmm?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 11:25 AM   #24
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid2002 View Post
who gives a shi t what he says
me. makes life interesting.
Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 11:38 AM   #25
kits135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Coming Soon

He thinks its so much better, tell him to show the pink slip and put his money where his mouth is. Then go to the track and show him how much "better" it is when he looses!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 12:51 PM   #26
Xios135
First Lieutenant
Bouvet Island
Rep
Drives: 2014 MB CLA Edition 1

Garage List
Enjoy your car and move on..... I have a brother in law who swears the only measure of a great car is it's 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. I have grown so tired of car conversations with him.
      06-18-2013, 01:20 PM   #27
WhiteTgr135i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Whatever the make and model of the car, I will appreciate it for it's engineering. Every car is made differently, each with it's pro's and con's. If someone want's to hate on our cars or vice versa, let them. Haters gonna hate!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 03:48 PM   #28
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

What pisses me off is I know... he knows... very little about performance cars. So, it's like arguing against a blank wall. lol. I had to tell him that the summer rubber that came with his Genesis will be useless this Winter. He was clueless about that.

It's OK, just a fun exchange between us and it's pretty much a no brainer who has the better car. me.

Thanks for the comments.
Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 07:26 PM   #29
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

"hyundai horsepower" =/= BMW & real world horsepower. Here's what I had to say a while ago about the genesis compared to the Honda Accord:

Quote:
My girlfriend has the last gen V6 accord coupe, which is actually very similar mechanically to the new one. Same engine, suspension, etc, just tweaked. The inside got upgraded very nicely, but even the last gen had nice leather seats and a premium feel too. I really like her car a lot, the only thing is that it's physically very large for a 2 door, and the fuel economy is about the same as on my 135i (20ish).

Someone above mentioned the Hyundai genesis coupe, and ill say its crap. I honestly don't understand the fascination. Car and driver just tested the new accord and with its 278 horses it out-accelerates the 358 hp 3.8 genesis to 60 and to 1/4 mile. I usually say 1 "Hyundai horsepower" = 2/3 bhp. The accord weighs 200 lbs more and is down 80 horsepower, what gives?!
Hyundai has a reputation about lying about their cars' specifications, which I just consider scummy.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorze...stimating-mpg/

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2012...news/121109871

Meanwhile, BMW *under*estimates everything, horsepower figures, 0-60 1/4 mile times, etc. Even if Hyundai built a car that was solid gold perfection, I doubt I'd buy it just out of principle. And I'm not really a big "fan boy" of any particular brand. I love BMWs, but also love Hondas, Fords, VWs, whatever. There's just something I really don't like about Hyundai.

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 08:10 PM   #30
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Good info. nice post.

Interesting that I was just in Seoul, South Korea in May for work and will be going back in August and November. Maybe I can get a tour of the Hyundai plant and drop a line about the false Hp issue.. lol.

Another friend at work made a interesting statement. "If someone were to ask me what car I drive, I don't want to say.. I drive a Hyundai." just does not have the same ring to it as.. I drive BMW or Audi or Mercedes.. or..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 08:47 PM   #31
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
There's nothing wrong with Hyundai's, good economical car and you get your money's worth.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 08:59 PM   #32
stormzusmc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 15 Jag XFRS, 16 GLA45

Unique econo sports box....I'm sure he feels cool in his Hyundai....No where near refined, as I'm sure he has never driven a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 10:55 PM   #33
Huecifer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i

Test drove a 3.8 Track w/ 6MT just before I got my car. Good car, but sadly not in the same league as the BMW. The warranty is effing amazing, though. Had I not found the BMW I wanted, I might be in one of those...

It unfortunately does not drive as well. The steering is a bit number, it's not as sharp, and it feels HUGE (even though there's way less usable interior and trunk space than the BMW). The tires are huge and expensive, and didn't really help the driving experience. I couldn't help but think that because of the tires, you'd have to be going insane speeds to get the tail to wag, while that playfulness is much more accessible at safer speeds in the BMW.

Also, it's not as pleasant of a place to be for daily driving. The interior is impossible to see out of and cramped, there's less storage, the seating position is on the floor, and the seats arent as good.

Finally, the clutch & shifter are mediocre at best. Well-damped, but without any feeling.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 11:14 PM   #34
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA135i View Post
Good info. nice post.

Interesting that I was just in Seoul, South Korea in May for work and will be going back in August and November. Maybe I can get a tour of the Hyundai plant and drop a line about the false Hp issue.. lol.

Another friend at work made a interesting statement. "If someone were to ask me what car I drive, I don't want to say.. I drive a Hyundai." just does not have the same ring to it as.. I drive BMW or Audi or Mercedes.. or..
Haha I bet that would make them a little uncomfortable. There's just something "off" about Hyundai to me, honestly, and I really try to treat all car makes equally. My uncle is going on 70 and has been driving limos for close to 40 years in NYC. He loves his Lincoln town car, but he was going on and on and on about Hyundai and how awesome they look and blah blah blah, so my father, my other uncle (who was equally obsessed), and I took him to the dealership so he could check out the Equus and the Genesis sedan.. We were there for not even 10 minutes when he said that he's not interested because they don't feel like they have that Town Car quality. He sat in it, and then got out almost right away.

In terms of features and price point, Hyundai is absolutely great. But from my own and my family/friends' experiences I have found that Hyundai just lacks some intangible "quality" that BMW seems to have on many fronts. The best way to describe it is that everything they do is "almost."

The materials LOOK nice, but the quality seems to be dubious. Edmunds.com had a long term 2011 Equus they were testing, and after 6 months the leather seats on that car looked worse than my 1er's leather seats did after 3 years (this was two years ago, my car is 5 years old now). Of course I can't find it now, but they had pictures of it on their long-term road test blog. The whole Equus long term blog seems to have disappeared off the internet, except for this super short mention of the Equus' bad seats in their 528i long term review so I can't really back this up. I really wish I had saved that picture, because from memory that 6 month old leather looks about the same as my 5 year old leather in terms of cracking and fading.. and they had beige while I have red.

Idk.. I was excited to visit the dealership with my uncle. I was really interested in the new genesis lineup.. but I think that Hyundai at this point is still struggling to back up all their cool new features and gadgets with actual quality and craftsmanship. Still, they're LOADS better than a decade ago, but when you even look at my girlfriend's Accord being heavier, down on power, yet FASTER than a genesis coupe.. you start to wonder.

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 07:20 AM   #35
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 370z & 135i

IMO, they're two different types of car.

The Genesis coupe is better paired against the Mustang, 370z, or Cayman.

However, the Genesis R is no joke. 270-280 at the wheels in stock form with the potential to get to 330-350 after a tune and bolt ons makes it a pretty stout contender.

Stock against stock, imo it would be a driver's race. I consider the 135 to me more mod-friendly, especially on the wallet.

Honestly, the Hyundai has a lot to offer and it isn't that far off from the 135. However, as I mentioned, they're two different classes of car that attack different market segments. The fact that the 135 does it a bit better than a purpose-built car says a lot.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #36
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

ok here is a quick judge at which one is better.

If your water pump is guaranteed to quit you before 100K then you are the winner. Just saying...

06-20-2013, 09:39 AM   #37
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

ok on a serious note though. Most people buy vehicles based on brand popularity. It can give them an entitlement to brag if you will. Here is the 2012 consumer reports brand chart by best / worst

While I wouldnt say that Hyundai is the worst brand out there it certainly has a ways to go to play with the big boys. Notice that even Tesla beat them.

survey facts:

How the scores were calculated
The Consumer Reports National Research Center conducted a random, nationwide telephone survey of 2,045 adults from Dec. 1-5, 2011, and collected survey data from 1,702 adults in households that had at least one car.

Overall brand perception is an index calculated as the total number of times that a particular make was mentioned as exemplary across all seven categories, divided by the total unaided awareness of the brand. (Interview subjects were asked what brands exemplified the traits, instead of being read a list of brands.) That approach compensates for awareness level, ensuring that every brand has an equal chance of leading a category, not just the best-selling or most well-known brands.

Category scores reflect the number of times that the particular make was mentioned as an exemplar of the particular attribute, again corrected for awareness.
Attached Images

06-20-2013, 10:52 AM   #38
P7X
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6MT

Genisis coupe is a pretty good car for the money, you get alota car and tech for the price IMO.

BUT all you need to say is "Automatic? is it ur girlfriend's / wife's car?" nuff said....
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 11:16 AM   #39
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by P7X View Post

BUT all you need to say is "Automatic? is it ur girlfriend's / wife's car?" nuff said....
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 11:15 AM   #40
cvandenhaute
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i, '19 Genesis G70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huecifer View Post
Test drove a 3.8 Track w/ 6MT just before I got my car. Good car, but sadly not in the same league as the BMW. The warranty is effing amazing, though. Had I not found the BMW I wanted, I might be in one of those...

It unfortunately does not drive as well. The steering is a bit number, it's not as sharp, and it feels HUGE (even though there's way less usable interior and trunk space than the BMW). The tires are huge and expensive, and didn't really help the driving experience. I couldn't help but think that because of the tires, you'd have to be going insane speeds to get the tail to wag, while that playfulness is much more accessible at safer speeds in the BMW.

Also, it's not as pleasant of a place to be for daily driving. The interior is impossible to see out of and cramped, there's less storage, the seating position is on the floor, and the seats arent as good.

Finally, the clutch & shifter are mediocre at best. Well-damped, but without any feeling.
+1 good car but horrible shifter and clutch and steering lacking feel. I found the quality very decent, not as good as the 1-er (but quite frankly the 1-er is not exceptional neither).

Issue 46 of Winding Road in 2009 had a nice article called "the fast crowd" where they were comparing a 128i, a 370z, a mustang GT (still the 4.6) and a 128i, they all picked the 128i because despite the fact it had the slowest numbers, it was the most "connected" car and the want that was feeling the fastest. That's actually why I decided to test drive a 128i in the first place (and ended up with one after driving the other contenders, plus a Camaro). I am sick and tired of people comparing cars by numbers, they only gicve a PART of the story about how good a car actually is. If you look at numbers only you would say that a Camry with a V6 engine is better than a Ferrari TestaRossa...
      06-22-2013, 12:02 AM   #41
Bimmer B
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Msport

Easy solution!

How about this for an answer that will shut this guy up, public opinion!

Go grab beers on a busy patio in the downtown city anywhere and park BOTH cars out front! See who's car receives the most head turns or gawkers (make sure to have your car spotless and leave the windows down!!) You will win this hands down I promise. Women and men both can appreciate a BMW especially the 135i by its name alone, whereas Hyundai is still trying to make a strong name for themselves!

Do it its a set up!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 07:23 PM   #42
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer B View Post
How about this for an answer that will shut this guy up, public opinion!

Go grab beers on a busy patio in the downtown city anywhere and park BOTH cars out front! See who's car receives the most head turns or gawkers (make sure to have your car spotless and leave the windows down!!) You will win this hands down I promise. Women and men both can appreciate a BMW especially the 135i by its name alone, whereas Hyundai is still trying to make a strong name for themselves!

Do it its a set up!
I feel like I am in Facebook now. I like this idea.
      06-24-2013, 09:26 AM   #43
Jettt
Gun Slinger
Canada
Rep
Drives: slow and with caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stohlen View Post
Good thing these are both cars
ur an idiot...
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 09:27 AM   #44
Jettt
Gun Slinger
Canada
Rep
Drives: slow and with caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by rking117 View Post
I feel like I am in Facebook now. I like this idea.
haha yeah a good idea until the genesis gets wrapped in matte black lmao thats always a head turner.
Appreciate 0