BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-10-2014, 11:14 AM   #111
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by firokzz View Post
Lol true
I think OP just wanted confirmation that the 1 series was better
nah... I already knew that. It's a no brainer.
Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 11:57 AM   #112
Stvee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by llowlife View Post
The torque curve on the Gen looks to be (other than a large spike early on) uninspiring until 5k. HP sells cars Torque wins races.
No. Not at all. Horsepower is work over time (which is what matters when talking about how fast a car is) and torque is just the amount of twisting force. When talking purely about how fast a car is going to accelerate, torque in the low RPM range doesn't really matter at all because you are never in the lower half of the rpm range if you're driving the car right.

For speed you want an engine that can keep it's torque curve up in the higher rpm range because that equates to more power. Horsepower is just a number derived from how much torque you have at a given rpm.

This is the reason that crotch rockets are very fast without having much torque. When your motor can spin as fast as those, it doesn't need a lot of torque to make a lot of power and thus be fast.

To put it simply, you can make more power by increasing torque at a given RPM or you can make more power by increasing RPM at a given amount of torque.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 03:55 PM   #113
killerhurtalot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvee View Post
No. Not at all. Horsepower is work over time (which is what matters when talking about how fast a car is) and torque is just the amount of twisting force. When talking purely about how fast a car is going to accelerate, torque in the low RPM range doesn't really matter at all because you are never in the lower half of the rpm range if you're driving the car right.

For speed you want an engine that can keep it's torque curve up in the higher rpm range because that equates to more power. Horsepower is just a number derived from how much torque you have at a given rpm.

This is the reason that crotch rockets are very fast without having much torque. When your motor can spin as fast as those, it doesn't need a lot of torque to make a lot of power and thus be fast.

To put it simply, you can make more power by increasing torque at a given RPM or you can make more power by increasing RPM at a given amount of torque.
that's pretty shitty statement because the torque needs to be compared to weight. You DON'T NEED 300 lb ft of torque when the bike is only like 500 lb curb weight to accelerate fast. And the torque curve on the bikes are pretty damn great too. hitting 70% of peak torque at around 2.5-3k rpm...
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 04:56 PM   #114
Jettt
Gun Slinger
Canada
Rep
Drives: slow and with caution

IDE never buy one. Ever lol
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 09:04 AM   #115
Stvee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerhurtalot View Post
that's pretty shitty statement because the torque needs to be compared to weight. You DON'T NEED 300 lb ft of torque when the bike is only like 500 lb curb weight to accelerate fast. And the torque curve on the bikes are pretty damn great too. hitting 70% of peak torque at around 2.5-3k rpm...
Assuming equal bike weights you're still going to want the high revving high horse power one over the low revving more torquey one if you want to accelerate quickly. The typical example would be cruisers vs crotch rockets.

With cars, it is the same thing. If you want to tow something get the low-end torquey motor with not as much power. If you want speed get the motor with more power.

This is the same reason that switching to aftermarket cams on performance cars will shift the torque curve to the right on a dyno graph. You lose a little low end torque, but you have more torque in the upper RPM range which in turn gives you more power.

Last edited by Stvee; 06-11-2014 at 09:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 09:37 AM   #116
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449 View Post
Yeah, well, Hyundai's shitty technicians got me damn near killed by an 18 wheeler on I-10 last summer. The car (my buddy's 2012 3.8 R Spec) had been experiencing steering issues that were supposedly fixed. Locked up on my ass entering the freeway at 65+ (while accelerating), lost control, spun, wound up facing the wrong way, and then (thank God) a massive 18 wheeler only clipped us on the passenger side at over 70 MPH.

At least when my DCT 135i stalled on the freeway in very low speed traffic, I could safely coast off to the shoulder, come to a stop, and restart the car. I also trust that now that it's been updated, this won't happen again. More than I can say for Hyundai service.
You'd be surprised how many incompetent BMW techs are out there. Techs don't design the cars. If you're not crazy about the Hyundai brand since the dealership experience was so awful, that's totally justifiable but I wouldn't say the product is crap because of it.
      06-11-2014, 04:55 PM   #117
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
You'd be surprised how many incompetent BMW techs are out there. Techs don't design the cars. If you're not crazy about the Hyundai brand since the dealership experience was so awful, that's totally justifiable but I wouldn't say the product is crap because of it.
I guess you didn't read my second post:

Quote:
My previous post not withstanding, I do agree with you two on the sedan. I spent a month in two Genesis sedans (2011 models) while my, then, Audi A3 was in the body shop for repair. It was great car. I had NO complaints. Hyundai is definitely NOT the same company it was years ago and is NOT making the products they USED to make, overall.

That said, the coupe is NOT a 2-Door version of the sedan. The steering is rubbery and numb, the shifter sucks, the Infinity sound system sucks (especially compared to the 1 series' HK, which isn't saying much AT ALL), the Bluetooth isn't anything to write home about (the 1 Series is just as good), fit and finish is just ok, and the handling is just ok. About the only thing I'll say is great about it is the engine. But, for the money, buy a fucking 370z and you'll be A LOT happier.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 05:08 PM   #118
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Back to lol
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 05:25 PM   #119
Stay Puft
Rep
Drives: 2008 Bmw 135I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber View Post
The Gen is a nice car, period. Is it on the same level as a bmw? Not yet.

That said, here you go, had to check then out for myself:

Last race on the vid.
Listen to that blower scream on that IRL
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 10:37 PM   #120
x97Melbourne
Molar World
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Coupe

Like others, never driven it. But 347 HP isn't anything to stiff at. And I like the exhaust note also.
But, in my opinion, he's the odd ball.....automatic trans in a 347HP coupe? Lame....you could call him a Mary. :-)
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 08:35 AM   #121
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

A 3.8 came up on me headed home earlier this week on the four lane road my subdivision is off of...he had stickers, ricer mods, the whole nine (though the car was clean and damage free). What I liked most was the sticker on his windshield (white lettering on his black car, so you could REALLY see it) that said "Slower traffic keep right". Naturally, he was all over my ass trying to "hunt" me. Long story short we went from an even roll (road was wide open) and it did not go in his favor. When I first saw him, I thought of this thread immediately.
Appreciate 0