BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-20-2017, 12:59 PM   #265
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGAV13 View Post
Car is currently being programmed. Can't wait to pick it up and post my impressions later.
Hope it all works out for you this time.
      02-20-2017, 02:33 PM   #266
2PUTT
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87

well, i ended up getting the Stage 2 tune on Saturday. since the car has been in storage since Nov 2nd, the cold northeast weather (and possibly the age) made the battery very weak. even reconditioning with the battery tender didn't help. neither did the 1+ hour drive help charge up the battery.

took the car to the dealer for the tune and they gave me a great price for the replacement battery (with registration of course).

took the car for a 6 hour (365 miles) drive later that day. the best way i can describe the tune is "conservatively reliable" with the 12psi of boost. it is very smooth in delivery. it is a far cry from my stage 3 B5 S4 that was custom tuned for 400whp/425wtq that holds 22psi.

overall, i am satisfied with the power delivery. definitely cannot beat the price.
no regrets!!
Appreciate 2
      02-20-2017, 06:34 PM   #267
AGAV13
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 135is (#363/586)

Picked my car up this afternoon. After all this time the issues they had came down to the operating system the laptop they were using. The tech had to break out an older Windows 7 laptop to do the job when the one they were trying to use had Windows 10.
To answer some of the initial questions I had for everyone else;

- Will the car retain the PPK pops and and gargles?
Yes and no. This is the biggest concern I had when making my decision. There were several conflicting reports as to whether or not they would remain. I know several of you have a 135is with a Dinan tune and I got so familiar with and in love with the exhaust I didn't know how I would feel if I lost them. While I have only driven the car ~80 miles the pops on overrun are "still" there. The reason I said yes&no is that the frequency and duration of the pops on overrun has been cut by at least 50%. While they are still there they are much less prominent than they had previously been. Every time I blipped the throttle and let off on PPK I would have those intoxicating sounds on overrun, now I have to be over 3k rpm and have wound up the turbo pretty good to get any response. Where they used to last roughly 5 seconds they are now present for anywhere between 1-2 seconds. The snaps and cracks on upshift are all but gone, at least from what I can tell thus far. Maybe the software needs to be "broken in" as other have posted. If there is a plus in the sound department it comes from the turbo. It now spoils much louder and faster than stock which is nice to hear. It adds some sportiness where the exhaust now lacks. Am I disappointed by this? For the time being yes but as I will soon post below I'm sure I will learn to get over it. I'll try to take some videos with my GoPro and external mic when I get some time to post for everyone to hear.

-How is the DCT/Throttle response lag?
Moving from a complete stop the hesitation is almost completely gone. For the most part I only experience this when in traffic or when the engine temps are low. I didn't face either of those situation in my drive home. In both normal and sport settings it is a vast improvement over the stock PPK. The power delivery is seamless in every gear no matter what rpm and there is always plenty of pick up. The shifts are nice and crisp and so far it seems as if it has solved any of the issues I had previously experienced.

- How is the power/torque increase?
All I can say is that the "butt dyno" definitely notices the increase. The power is instant, always on tap, ready to go, and boy-oh-boy does it go when you get on it. I still have my winter rubbers on but when you jump on it if you do not modulate the throttle those wheels will keep spinning through 3rd gear even with traction on. I was able to do some wot throttle runs through 3/4 gear and holy smokes, this thing now screams compared to what it previously did. I have driven quite a few impressive cars over the past couple years and I have to say this car now brings a huge grin to my face, and I'm not just saying this because it's my own personal vehicle. 60 to 80 to 100 comes pretty fast as is super impressive. No need to worry about picking up enough speed in 7th to pass any longer. As others have said, this is how the car should have come directly from BMW. I can't speak for Stage III but I don't believe there is any need for more power over stage II. Maybe I'll change my mind once the PSS go back on this spring or I get back out on the track but for this being my daily driver the power and torque are perfect. I just need to be able to put it down better. When I get some more time later on in the week I will have to hook up my obd and see what kind of numbers it's putting down.

-And finally, the big question, is it worth it?
As I've mentioned, I just got my car back this afternoon but so far I have to say absolutely. If I had to pay full price I'm not sure I would be so positive but for what I paid I don't think I could be happier. I hope over time the snaps/pops/cracks/gargles will become more prominent through the exhaust but if that is the only sacrifice to be made I think I will be happy with my choice.

If anyone has any other question feel free to shoot me a message and I'll do my best to respond.
SOLD
2013 BMW 135is #363/586 - AW, Black Boston Leather w/ Exclusive Blue Stitching, Prem., Tech, DCT, Heated Seats, HK
Appreciate 1
Marc08EX138.50
      02-20-2017, 07:06 PM   #268
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Maybe I don't have enough experience with my 135is, but my exhaust pops and gurgles only really happened on decel. I took my car for a good long drive Sunday and heard lots of those wonderful sounds for several seconds at a time. They aren't always the same though. And I also hear kind of a brap sound on upshifts that come out of the exhaust during harder acceleration. It sounds the same to me, so I am not sure why people are getting different results.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 07:56 PM   #269
AGAV13
Captain
United_States
Rep

No idea. I don't know how often or for how long everyone else drives their car but I'm in mine for no less than 1 hour a day for almost the past 4 years. I am so accustomed to my car I can tell slight differences due to the weather etc. maybe it's just something I'm nitpicky about. Who knows it could even come down to ones hearing. My father can't hear the turbo spool yet I hear every little sound my car makes.
SOLD
2013 BMW 135is #363/586 - AW, Black Boston Leather w/ Exclusive Blue Stitching, Prem., Tech, DCT, Heated Seats, HK
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 08:01 PM   #270
FromBenzToBeemer
Registered
Rep
Drives: Hopefully-135i

Is this still valid?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 08:21 PM   #271
AGAV13
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromBenzToBeemer View Post
Is this still valid?
Yes through the end of the month
SOLD
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 09:26 PM   #272
PDXE82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW 2013 135i PPK/PE/Dinan S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGAV13 View Post
-How is the DCT/Throttle response lag?
Moving from a complete stop the hesitation is almost completely gone. For the most part I only experience this when in traffic or when the engine temps are low. I didn't face either of those situation in my drive home. In both normal and sport settings it is a vast improvement over the stock PPK. The power delivery is seamless in every gear no matter what rpm and there is always plenty of pick up. The shifts are nice and crisp and so far it seems as if it has solved any of the issues I had previously experienced.
Curious if you've driven with the AC on, particularly on Max, to see if there are still downshift and idle issues when coming to a stop. My throttle lag is improved but still have the dive in RPM and jerking to first gear with AC on. Worse when it's set to MAX.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 03:14 AM   #273
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
Maybe I don't have enough experience with my 135is, but my exhaust pops and gurgles only really happened on decel. I took my car for a good long drive Sunday and heard lots of those wonderful sounds for several seconds at a time. They aren't always the same though. And I also hear kind of a brap sound on upshifts that come out of the exhaust during harder acceleration. It sounds the same to me, so I am not sure why people are getting different results.
To reiterate what I've said before, my car sounds just the same with the Dinan tune, as well. There are members in this thread that I have spoken with and they agree, so it must be down to the individual pair of ears.

I've had PPK and the PE since 2011 and I'm extremely familiar with the sound. Also, I live in SoCal where I drive with the windows down almost exclusively so I hear the pops, crackles, and burbling of PPK loud and clear. Nothing has changed for me, including the braap! coming from the exhaust during aggressive upshifts, as you said.
      02-21-2017, 09:28 AM   #274
2PUTT
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
To reiterate what I've said before, my car sounds just the same with the Dinan tune, as well. There are members in this thread that I have spoken with and they agree, so it must be down to the individual pair of ears.

I've had PPK and the PE since 2011 and I'm extremely familiar with the sound. Also, I live in SoCal where I drive with the windows down almost exclusively so I hear the pops, crackles, and burbling of PPK loud and clear. Nothing has changed for me, including the braap! coming from the exhaust during aggressive upshifts, as you said.
yup - same here.
2013 135is. Same sound before and after the Dinan tune with my Berk.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 10:40 AM   #275
velociti
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Dumb question -- my father's getting this installed later this week and I'm not dying to take his JB4 off his car prior to the install. Can the JB4 remain installed and simply be set to Map 0, or does it need to be off the car for the install to work? I know MHD needed the JB4 out of the way. Super lazy over here.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 11:56 AM   #276
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2PUTT View Post
yup - same here.
2013 135is. Same sound before and after the Dinan tune with my Berk.
Who cares about the sound.

Let's talk daily driver - throttle response, user friendly power... ok discuss.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 12:15 PM   #277
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
Who cares about the sound.

Let's talk daily driver - throttle response, user friendly power... ok discuss.
It's been discussed -- read the thread. And of course people care about the sound. It's one of the selling points of PPK and people don't want to lose it.

Quote:
The Version 1 Power Kit also adds a very sporty exhaust burbling noise during engine overrun conditions.
http://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/35...ANCE-POWER-KIT
      02-21-2017, 12:17 PM   #278
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
I know :-D I was just poking some fun at the pops & burbles debate!

Who knew pops and burbles would become Alternative Facts!!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 12:19 PM   #279
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Haha very important, they are. You ever going to buy it? Time is running out on the sale.
      02-21-2017, 12:22 PM   #280
Cmoney135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
Do you have to have ppk for pops? Or can I just buy bmw PE & get a few pops here and there? I'm n54 if that helps at all
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 12:42 PM   #281
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Well, are you going to buy it? Or would you rather just "discuss" it?
      02-21-2017, 05:32 PM   #282
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Haha very important, they are. You ever going to buy it? Time is running out on the sale.
Quote:
Well, are you going to buy it? Or would you rather just "discuss" it?
Well... I just got off the phone w/ my Indy/Dinan shop. Oddly enough I happen to just be due for an oil change & "tune-up" right about now. Figured before end of Feb. is better than mid-March right?!

Last edited by Gangplank; 02-21-2017 at 07:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 05:54 PM   #283
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well... I just got off the phone w/ my Indy/Dinan shop. Oddly enough I happen to just be due for any oil change right about now. Figured before end of Feb. is better than mid-March right?!
Attached Images

02-21-2017, 06:40 PM   #284
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXE82 View Post
Curious if you've driven with the AC on, particularly on Max, to see if there are still downshift and idle issues when coming to a stop. My throttle lag is improved but still have the dive in RPM and jerking to first gear with AC on. Worse when it's set to MAX.
No but I believe my idle RPM is a little lower with the S2 as they were with the PPK.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 06:41 PM   #285
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoney135i View Post
Do you have to have ppk for pops? Or can I just buy bmw PE & get a few pops here and there? I'm n54 if that helps at all
I don't know.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 01:43 PM   #286
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Another update on mileage. Another tank full of gas and I'm at 23.7 MPG with the mixed driving and having to deal with traffic around here. I guess the other important piece of information about this fuel consumption figure is according to the trip computer, that tank full covered 8.5 hours of driving whether I was moving or sitting still.
Appreciate 0