BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-24-2012, 02:17 PM   #1
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Second Set of Wheels and Tires for "Winter" in Warm Climates?

I posted this on the Dallas/Fort Worth 1Ms thread and thought I'd post it here for some more advice.

Hello All,

I could use some advice from the DFW group, as well as from other people who live in similar climates.

Do you do anything for a second set of tires where you live? Maybe a set of performance all-season tires for December through mid-February, or during a rainy season if there is one? An example of this is Pete_vB in the Bay Area, who switches between two sets of summer tires, depending on the season.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=753109

According to weather.com, the average low temp from December-mid February in Dallas is less than 40 degrees F, so I imagine there are a fair number of days when it could be problematic--or at least not ideal--for summer tires during an early morning commute.

So, any switchers? Or do you just keep summer tires on year round and leave your 1M parked on the days when it's especially cold?

I'm asking because I'll be moving to Dallas in a few months.

Before I knew I would be moving, I bought a set of 18" M3 wheels (style 260M). I was going to use them as part of a winter tire setup in Minnesota, but now I'm wondering if I should:
  1. sell the wheels and plan to run year round with summer tires in Dallas.
  2. keep the wheels and mount a set of tires for winter / rain (maybe some performance all-season tires).
  3. sell the wheels and buy an APEX ARC-8 square setup. This is what I really wanted for my second set of wheels, but while I was waiting for an ARC-8 group buy to come along and with winter fast approaching, I found a great local deal on the M3 wheels.
I could use the second set of wheels for a track setup, but the sad truth is I'll probably only do at most 3 track days a year, so I'm wondering if it's worth it to have a second set of wheels and tires that would see such limited use.

Thanks, all. Any input you have is greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 05:31 PM   #2
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Relatively mild climate over here. Occasionally harsh winter temps.

My summer setup is stock 19" (359 M Y-spoke Competition rims) (front: 19x9 | rear: 19x10).

My winter setup is ...also 19" Those Pirelli tires are appropriate for mild winter climates. Speed rating "W" (168mph/270kph). Not appropriate for colder climates with rugged winters (Scandinavia, etc.). Got those because only a very limited choice of 19" winter tires with the right specs available for the rims (245/35R19 + 265/35R19) and don't want to damage the fender liners (wheel housing). It's an OK tire - expect no rave reviews. Alternative winter tire for those 19" specs was Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 - speed rating "H" (130mph/210kph) (cheaper).

Here's the commercial yadda-yadda:
(http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/ca...ro_serie2.html)
"Pirelli Winter 270 Sottozero Serie II
This tire utilizes structural technology that places Pirelli amongst the leaders in the ultra high performance segment, speed code "W" (up to 270km/h) for Winter Sottozero 270.
Winter SOTTOZERO™ Series II is designed to actively react in the presence of wet asphalt and low external temperatures (under 7°C), contrasting with great success the phenomenon of aquaplaning. It represents a versatile and safe answer for optimal driving conditions in all fall and winter weather conditions: dry, wet or snow covered surfaces do not make a difference, Winter SOTTOZERO™ Series II guarantees the best performance on all surfaces.
It is characterised by wide moulded grooves, in order to effectively expel the water.special water containment basins (HST – Hydro Static Tank) a Pirelli patent that guarantees a better containment of the water in the grooves in order to sensibly reduce the phenomenon of aquaplaning.
IMPORTANT: It is not recommended to mix the Winter Sottozero and the Winter Sottozero Serie II tires"

"An innovative tyre for sports cars and medium to high-powered saloons, it offers excellent driving safety in all road conditions during the cold weather season.
For demanding drivers, the Winter SOTTOZERO™ SERIE II guarantees excellent performance on dry roads, in the wet and in the presence of snow. In temperatures below 7°C, it counters aquaplaning more effectively when compared to a summer tyre.
The asymmetric tread pattern is divided into two distinct elements. The inner area expels water effectively whilst the external area, with its more rigid and spaced blocks, ensures high levels of grip on snow. These features on the W270 version are enhanced by the exclusive patented twin-compound solution.
Characterised by low rolling resistance, the Winter SOTTOZERO™ SERIE II also provides low noise levels, enhancing comfort in the cabin.
Key Homologations: Alfa Romeo, Aston Martin, Bentley, BMW, Ferrari, Jaguar, Lamborghini, Mercedes, Porsche"
      10-25-2012, 07:10 AM   #3
LotusBoy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M, N55, KW's DDC

Hi BYU ! With a minimal to no risk of snow in the DFW area, I'd just stick with one set of wheels and summer tires. Sell your M3 wheels for a thousand or so, and make a trackday fan happy !! Of course when it's wet or cold, you'll have to be a bit careful with the throttle, or just avoid disconnecting the DSC completely ...
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 03:20 PM   #4
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Stock wheels with PS2 or PSS should be fine all year around in DFW.

Save the spare wheels and tires for track or autocross.
Appreciate 0