BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-18-2012, 10:56 PM   #1
M2 Blur
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 6MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
OEM BMWPS or KW V2 vs. warranty implications?

So, there is a lot of info in this section, and the opinions have narrowed my options down considerably so thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Got an 09 E82 CPO, 32K on the ODO, 3 years left on my warranty. So the warranty is very important to me...

Driving and preference:
- The car is a DD
- I enjoy spirited driving and cant take any more floating and unpredictability
- I need to firm up the ride and would prefer a slightly lower drop than the BMWPS can offer
- A firm setup and a compliant ride is just as important for DD
- M3 bits may be in the horizon, but first things first...
- I don't want rubbing, noise, set it and forget it, no additional trips to deal with aftermarket BS issues
- Not planning on an agressive drop, maybe 1" if I go KW V2 c/o's
- 19" are not in my future, my current CSL 18" wheels are fine for me. Just replacing the RFT's with PSS 8" 225/40 and 9" 255/35's once I burn through the new set that came with the CPO.

Possible repair and risks:
Many say repair is not questioned when having aftermarket suspension, but if aftermarket suspension viods your warranty toward suspension components; isn't this a risk, or just an excuse to replace out of pocket with the M3 bits?

The decision:
I have been on the fence too long. So it's seems my options are:
BMWPS -
BMW parts are covered, improve handling, will not void your warranty

Adjustable damper C/O setup (KW V2's)-
Able the adjust the dampening to your DD liking. Soften it up if the C/O's are riding too rough for my taste. Firm them up if I want more... Post then and resell if they don't work out for me.

One will not void your other suspension bits, the other will give you additional dampening, lowering flexibility but gives the dealer a reason to reject the work or possibly be flagged.

This is always a decision to the owner. What is the risk and what are you willing accept. Personally, it seems the risk outweighs the reward.

Feedback?:
- Am I being over cautious on the warranty coverage?
- Anyone have to come out of pocket for suspension issues (outside of your 3rd party parts)?
- Any issues with bushings, control arms, links, etc not being covered if 3rd party suspension is installed?
- Screw it, go with the KW V2's and be done with it already!

Any help would be amazing! Thanks,
Scott

Last edited by M2 Blur; 07-18-2012 at 11:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 05:58 AM   #2
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

I don't see what suspension bits would get voided over swapping in a KW setup....you'd be replacing the only things that can really go bad
      07-19-2012, 09:57 AM   #3
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

i dont think you will get what you are looking for from coilovers

the car will

-ride rougher, despite any damping adjustments
-still be floaty
-bounce more (further exposes weakness of rear subframe bushings)

I have OEM BMW PS and OEM front m3 suspension components, and the handling is great, but the car does ride quite firmly to say the least. I will be moving to a softer tire for the street due to this. I will say the car is quite unsettled in the rear still, mainly due to the weak subframe bushings.

I am also very surpised how much worse and unstable this suspension is compared to the 335 sport suspension.

I am much more satisfied with OEM bmw PS than i would be with coilvoers, but the car still needs work much to my dismay.
      07-19-2012, 10:36 AM   #4
smw356
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Are the bmw PS shocks adjustable?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep

No they are not
      07-19-2012, 08:46 PM   #6
Jaymax85
Addicted to Speed.
United_States
Rep
Drives: m3 zcp, macan GTS, f15 x5

im in the same boat and would like to hear opinions.
I have read in many threads that the
kw v2 + non fts has much better handling characteristics and smoother ride than oem suspension + rfts
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 05:44 AM   #7
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawwadh View Post
I have read in many threads that the
kw v2 + non fts has much better handling characteristics and smoother ride than oem suspension + rfts
Where did you read that? I thought the spring rates for KW V2 were about about 2.5x harder than stock M-sport springs.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 06:49 AM   #8
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I know that my v2's on full soft ride very comfortably....i'd say plusher but more controlled ride than stock for sure.
      07-20-2012, 06:03 PM   #9
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
I don't really see why your are discussing Kw V2's since you plan to set it and forget it or possibly resale, why not get V1's?

For sure KW's will be stiffer and help the performance handling of your 135 very substantially. I can't say for sure it's better than the PS since I've never drove a car 135 with PS but from what I hear KW's are much stiffer but really they still aren't that stiff. With KW's my car is no where near as stiff as Porsches or Corvettes that I've had in the past.

If you want to firm up you car and not spend as much and not void your warranty, another decent option is just changing subframe bushings. I'm sure BMW would never spot that and it's a needed mod anyways for further down the road.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 11:52 AM   #10
M2 Blur
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 6MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Sounds like no one is having dealer issues with suspension, so that is good to hear...

The only reason considering the V2's is to adjust dampening to increase comfort. Seems, if comfort is a REAL concern, Street Comfort may be a good option but not a lot of reviews for the 1 series to really sell me on them.

Still leaning toward the BMWPS, due to fitment alone. An additional .5" drop (.9" total) sounds nice, but not with the increased chance of rubbing and other suspension work needed.

The other catch is my CS7's. Still researching a tire FR/RR that wont rub.

Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0