BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-15-2012, 03:57 AM   #45
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

Picked up the 1M yesterday, shame really as it hammered down with rain while I was out giving it a run so limited experience to feed back on the stability but through a couple of roundabouts while in sport and sports+ the 1M feels very direct, stable and well planted,
there is definitely a massive difference between the 3 pre-set settings which change in millisec's with the in cabin 3 way button (measured by pectoralis bounce lol) but honestly the comfort is great for cruising, it really does cut out the shuddering on undulating roads and the crap we call roads around London, it gives you that feeling of floating over rather than forceful bounce, you would forgive yourself if you felt you was riding on a 65series low profile over the 35's. Sport is where things really start to firm up, if gives you a similar ride quality to the stock suspension, you can start to feel every bump before you can see them but it is in no ways spine crunching, perfect for fast road blasts, then sports+, well this pre-set was developed for the Nurburgring or track use, on the road you know about every single road imperfection lol but I will give that some more use in the dry and find some nice tarmac to give it a good going over.

Ride hight, well I opted for a 10mm front and 5mm rear, I just clear getting into my garage with a modified entry point) but that 10mm up front has cleared that massive front arch gap and runs more in-line with the rear.

As for the fitting, Marcus from KW Germany has done a superb job, very much an oem finish but then the guy is a perfectionist and one of KW's top development guys so wasn't expecting anything less.

First thoughts, quality, makes a massive difference. Will start shortly having a play around with the app controls and make a few of my own settings.

The 3 pre-settings are based on the following suspension kits
comfort
http://www.kw-suspensions.co.uk/uk/kw_streetcomfort.php

sport
http://www.kw-suspensions.co.uk/uk/kw_variant_3.php

sport+
http://www.kw-suspensions.co.uk/uk/kw_clubsport.php

The brain of the set up nicely concealed in the rear

in-cabin control

Last edited by Aussie_in_London; 05-16-2012 at 08:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 05:35 AM   #46
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_in_London View Post
Picked up the 1M yesterday, ...
Awesome, great that:
- the middle damping setting is ~= stock, both softer and harder than stock are in demand.
- the ride height looks spot on, are 10mm front and 5mm rear the height minimum drops. (was keeping the stock rear springs an option? did they have ratings of these KW springs?)
- the response time is short.
- Even BMW could not have found a better OEM switch mount location! well done. I'm still considering a more nearby location for the switch. Are you satisfied with the accessibility of the your current switch location?

looking forward to any further reviews.

The links to the settings don't work.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 05:56 AM   #47
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
Awesome, great that:
- the middle damping setting is ~= stock, both softer and harder than stock are in demand.
- the ride height looks spot on, are 10mm front and 5mm rear the height minimum drops. (was keeping the stock rear springs an option? did they have ratings of these KW springs?)
- the response time is short.
- Even BMW could not have found a better OEM switch mount location! well done. I'm still considering a more nearby location for the switch. Are you satisfied with the accessibility of the your current switch location?

looking forward to any further reviews.

The links to the settings don't work.
Links sorted.

Yeah the sports setting in my opinion is very much like stock but then the ability to soften and harden as you wish and more control again with the wifi and app.

10mm/5mm are the minimal with a 35/25mm max range. I find the 10/5 spot opn for giving the much needed ground clearance but still you have to be careful.

The spring ratings I was given
Spring rate FA: 64,94 N/mm
Spring rage RA: 93,92 N/mm

The location I have the 3 way button is spot on and within very easy reach while at the same time I can close the lid and no one will know the difference.

Great bit of kit.....
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 08:46 AM   #48
clived
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Evolved 1M

Very very nice I don't want to know how much it costs to a real punter
      05-15-2012, 10:52 AM   #49
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah not the cheapest option especially when fitting etc is involved but happy for any of the UK guys to take my car for a spin and check it all out......It is a great bit of kit
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 12:33 PM   #50
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep

Quote:
The spring ratings I was given
Spring rate FA: 64,94 N/mm
Spring rage RA: 93,92 N/mm

The location I have the 3 way button is spot on and within very easy reach while at the same time I can close the lid and no one will know the difference.

Great bit of kit.....
THX,

I figured it out, of course this is the best position for the switch for you: You're driving on the wrong side of the car!! OK, that's a very local perspective, but yeah, now I wish we could have a the lighter on the left side of the tray. And extra creds for the close lid 'spy' mode
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 07:56 PM   #51
clived
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yeah not the cheapest option especially when fitting etc is involved but happy for any of the UK guys to take my car for a spin and check it all out......It is a great bit of kit
I'll take you up on that
      05-16-2012, 03:08 AM   #52
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
THX,

I figured it out, of course this is the best position for the switch for you: You're driving on the wrong side of the car!! OK, that's a very local perspective, but yeah, now I wish we could have a the lighter on the left side of the tray. And extra creds for the close lid 'spy' mode

No worries, mate where ever you put the 3 way button you will just enjoy the ability to adjust the chassie in millisec's at the touch of a button, it really is a massive different between comfort and the 2 sports buttons, I now need to start messing about with my own settings on the ipod and see what I can find suits me best. As for the button location, shame you guys haver the steering wheel on the wrong side as the location of mine is spot on and out of site to prying eyes........

Quote:
Originally Posted by clived View Post
I'll take you up on that

You are more than welcome mate, with all the commuting you do even just the 3 pre set settings will suit your needs, comfort for all your general journeys and sports for those fasts blasts down sweeping country lanes, and a bit of sports+ when you drop in at Bedford Autodrome
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 08:32 AM   #53
LotusBoy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M, N55, KW's DDC

Hi Mr Aussie ! Many thanks for this (long awaited) world 1st report on the DDC. It really sounds like the best of both worlds, or I should say the best of all worlds... The slightly over-firm ride is gone when you warm it up or just cruise at reasonable speed. The sport mode is perfect when you pick up the pace, and then sport+ mode for trackdays ! Can't wait to get mine, I'm pushed back for production on week 23...
Please, keep on reporting any thoughts and info's on your I-Baby ;-)

Last edited by LotusBoy; 05-17-2012 at 06:28 AM.. Reason: sorted
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 08:57 AM   #54
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusBoy View Post

PS: your links are working, but they all lead to Streetcomfort.
Sorted

The best of many worlds including your own likings should you opt for the w-lan unit

Will be worth the wait is all I can say, and I will let you know how I get on with some of my own settings, I will be using the car Sat so fingers crossed no rain in this drought forsaken country I am in lol
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 01:37 PM   #55
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Went out for a good drive today with some nice country lanes, really rating this set up, the 3 settings really differ, the comfort absorbs most impacts and gives a feeling of floating over bumps rather than bouncing off, you forget you are riding on 19's with rubber bands, engage sport setting and things really tighten up, the rear end feels much less twitchy and very stable throughout corners, I feel much more confident giving it some stick entering and exiting. Sports+ I really wouldn't say is suited to the crap country lanes we have as it is much more former again than sport, well suited to track as it is intended, works well though for a power launch with M and MDM as it does minimise that chassie lift..... Just awaiting now the actual settings of the 3 pre set so I have something as a starting point to work from on the app control.

Ride height, the 10mm drop up front is very noticeable on a visual front, but couldn't see me dropping it any lower as I have already scrapped the underside of the front bumper on a couple of speed bumps but thankfully only minor and not able to be seen as its the mid centre where the bumper joins the undertray.

Did I say I am really rating the DDC, I can't stop switching between setups lol
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 02:10 PM   #56
h-manuk
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M Coupe

Nice Shane, look forward to a ride. So many good roads round my way and feel the stock suspension is a little compromised sometimes. The rear could do with 10% less stiffness in my opinion!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 03:05 PM   #57
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by h-manuk View Post
Nice Shane, look forward to a ride. So many good roads round my way and feel the stock suspension is a little compromised sometimes. The rear could do with 10% less stiffness in my opinion!
And thats the perfect thing about the DDC app Hetan, I can dial out bump/rebound at the touch of a button, I need to start messing about now with some of my own settings.........

MK roads, now thats a thought!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 04:16 AM   #58
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep

For reference the instruction manual attached (pretty much an install and user guide in one):

Did anyone get any operating / user manuals / specs sheets / Wlan docs to share?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf KW DDC BMW M1 eah39020004.pdf (4.66 MB, 470 views)
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 05:21 AM   #59
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah I have some pages worth of set up, w-lan connection set up etc and so on
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 10:50 AM   #60
Fundahl
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M, 300zx TT

Such an awesome setup. Hope to have the $$$ to install this one day!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 05:23 PM   #61
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep

KW came back with :

Percentages represent Comfort Sport Sport+ setting
Dämpfung < 65km/h: Front 0% 32% 100% Rear 0% 34% 100%
Dämpfung > 65km/h: Front 0% 32% 100% Rear 10% 34% 100%
Dämpfung > 140km/h: Front 0% 32% 100% Rear 11% 34% 100%

Wir verwenden bei diesem Fahrwerk folgende Federn
VA Formfeder 2025 – 46,39 N/mm
HA Formfeder 2017 – 93,92 N/mm

Force vs Speed curves are announced in a week ... (including which setting is closest to stock)
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 11:22 AM   #62
LotusBoy
Private First Class
Rep

Very interesting, thanks Eeghie. I went to Spa last friday with my (still) OEM suspension, and felt that a tighter set up would indeed be beneficial on track. There is a fair bit of roll, and under hard braking, the car moves around a bit ! And then of course the brakes fade, meaning you'll have to slow down anyway ...
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 04:33 AM   #63
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

http://www.speedhunters.com/2012/06/...of-suspension/
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 12:01 PM   #64
LotusBoy
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the link ! I got my Baby back form the DDC install yesterday. Total man-hours was 10 hours to perform the installation, set-up, alignement not included. My installer managed to keep the ride height at the same level as OEM, and said he could even rise it slightly if needed ! As I left the garage in Comfort mode, the difference was huge. It's pliant and nicely damped, like a standard 1-Series with non-runflat tires. What a breeze to drive in traffic or on a bad road ! Of course, there is a little more roll than stock, and the steering isn't as sharp. But when the road clears up, you can switch to Sport mode. It's obviously firmer than Comfort, but more "controlled" than stock: the car isn't unsetled by bumps or potholes like it was. General ride comfort is similar to stock.
I tried Sport+ mode as well. It is bearable on a good road. Pitch and roll are largely reduced but I couldn't test it on track yet. Track times could perhaps decrease by 2 or 3 seconds per lap, to be confirmed. These are just my first impressions. I just don't see any drawbacks, except of course for the price. 3000 euros is quite a big amount !!
So my temporary conclusion is overly positive. Top-notch stuff, realy !!

Last edited by LotusBoy; 06-19-2012 at 12:04 PM.. Reason: details
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 05:06 PM   #65
clived
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Very interested to hear that they managed to keep ride hide as standard - any info on if they had to do anything special to achieve that?
      06-19-2012, 05:35 PM   #66
LotusBoy
Private First Class
Rep

Not really, according to the Betriebsanleitung/Instruction Manual from KW (page 8), the height adjustment range is 40mm. This is perhaps slightly different from the V3 ? Anyway mine is at OEM height. So I'd guess it ranges from -30mm to +10mm, according to your requirements...
Appreciate 0