BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-10-2013, 01:01 PM   #1
CyRaX
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1M....soon

buying a 1M: tips wanted

Somewhere in the coming months I plan on buying a AW 1M.

I'm used to threads which tell you what to look for when buying a car (this was at Honda forums....sorry....was a Honda driver ).
Are there any tips (or is there a thread) with tips on this forum? I looked for it but didn't find one.

I know and memorized this thread: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=760815, but I'm looking for "more tips".

For example: when buying a Honda: check for rust in wheel arches, check for oil consumption / leakage and so on.
These 2 examples probably won't be ones applicable to the 1M, but I'm looking for these kind of tips.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2013, 01:57 PM   #2
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyRaX View Post
Somewhere in the coming months I plan on buying a AW 1M.

I'm used to threads which tell you what to look for when buying a car (this was at Honda forums....sorry....was a Honda driver ).
Are there any tips (or is there a thread) with tips on this forum? I looked for it but didn't find one.

I know and memorized this thread: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=760815, but I'm looking for "more tips".

For example: when buying a Honda: check for rust in wheel arches, check for oil consumption / leakage and so on.
These 2 examples probably won't be ones applicable to the 1M, but I'm looking for these kind of tips.

Thanks!
The 1M fairly new that you're probably looking at cars under warrantee. Thus I think you're looking for a whole different set of issues.

My main concerns would be modifications, signs of track use and signs of poor driving/ crash damage.

Track usage ages a car at an exponentially higher rate than street use, so I'd view a tracked car similarly to one with much higher mileage assuming no offs (look at tire wear for and indication of how it was driven and look closely for signs that it found a gravel trap, etc). Some modifications (ie tunes) also put more stress on the engine (even if no issues have shown up yet) and reduce value in my eyes.

It's easy to have an off/ shunt in the 1M, so look for signs of a repaint, history, alignment, bent rims, etc to be sure the car hasn't found a curb. Make sure the PO can drive a stick and hasn't worn the clutch/ gearbox.

You can also check for rust, mechanical issues, etc, but that wouldn't be my main concern if I was looking. A lightly or unmodified car which hasn't seen a curb or ideally the track would be what I'd look for.
      12-10-2013, 08:18 PM   #3
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

1) Consider other colors as well;
2) Don't care too much for cars which are loaded, there are really few options that should be standard with this car, most options are not essential, some are better out than in in my opinion;
2) Buy it from a guy who looks like he has a serious emotional issue of parting with his car (someone buying a house or wife expecting a baby etc.) and stares you while you are saying him that the asking price sounds reasonable, as if you just asked to take his 14 year old daughter for a date...that is the 1M you want to buy.

Hope this helps
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2013, 09:33 PM   #4
rick propas
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M-Valencia

I just bought mine after a 5 month search. I was looking for a car that had not been abused/tracked. I went only to BMW dealers, figuring that any front line car would stay with them. My litmus test was a CPO. When I finally found a dealer that would CPO, I pulled the trigger. Ended up with a VO fully loaded and <3000 miles. It wasn't cheap but I am waaaaay beyond pleased.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 07:33 AM   #5
CyRaX
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the tips guys!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 09:18 AM   #6
Cope
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' VO 1M, 17' LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
2) Don't care too much for cars which are loaded, there are really few options that should be standard with this car, most options are not essential, some are better out than in in my opinion
This is so true. Manual seats adds an inch of headroom. iDrive removes a cup holder. I'm sure there might be more things I can't think of at the moment.
      12-13-2013, 09:30 AM   #7
Reedomn
Major
Rep
Drives: Lambo Huracan/RR Velar/C8

Quote:
2) Don't care too much for cars which are loaded, there are really few options that should be standard with this car, most options are not essential, some are better out than in in my opinion;
2) Buy it from a guy who looks like he has a serious emotional issue of parting with his car (someone buying a house or wife expecting a baby etc.) and stares you while you are saying him that the asking price sounds reasonable, as if you just asked to take his 14 year old daughter for a date...that is the 1M you want to buy.Hope this helps

So true....I had agreed on price with 2 different sellers when I was looking and both couldn't go through with the sale after they agreed....I wasn't upset, I just said to myself, there must be something REALLY special about these cars....eventually I was able to buy a VO and pretty sure I will be buried in it.
e36 M3, e30 M3........
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 10:01 AM   #8
Ollieb7
Private
Rep
Drives: 1M, Caterham R500, 65 VW Split

There is only one tip; Don't be swayed by anything else, you'll only regret it and still want a 1M.

Once you've got a 1M you can be wholly justified in being a smug barsteward knowing you made the right choice and nearly everyone else in the world didn't!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2013, 11:56 AM   #9
CyRaX
Enlisted Member
Rep

Only 1 very small doubt: is there a M2 coming?
Will it look like the renders we've seen here?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 06:29 PM   #10
edwardio
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW 1M COUPE

Quote:
2) Buy it from a guy who looks like he has a serious emotional issue of parting with his car (someone buying a house or wife expecting a baby etc.) and stares you while you are saying him that the asking price sounds reasonable, as if you just asked to take his 14 year old daughter for a date...that is the 1M you want to buy.

Hope this helps
Hahaha Superb
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 02:45 AM   #11
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyRaX View Post
Only 1 very small doubt: is there a M2 coming?
Will it look like the renders we've seen here?
There will be an M2...in a couple years.

If you can wait that long then do it. I can't hazard to guess what 1M prices will do but I just posted a link to an AW with 17,000 miles. The dealership is asking 65k and we are pushing are 3 years since this car hit the streets.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 07:10 AM   #12
edwardio
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW 1M COUPE

I went from Honda Civic Type R FN2 to my 1M... :-)
Get the 1M asap
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 02:05 PM   #13
CyRaX
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardio View Post
I went from Honda Civic Type R FN2 to my 1M... :-)
Get the 1M asap
I'm selling my EDM CW DC2 for the AW 1M
I think it will be a big step forward
Appreciate 0