E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Zaino question

05-03-2006, 05:24 PM   #1
kobechrome
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335xi

Garage List
Zaino question

What's the difference between Z2Pro, Z3 and Z5?

I'm trying to go barebones Zaino so I already no I need either ZFX or Z1 but I can't figure out which one of the above I also need - or is it all of them?
      05-03-2006, 06:51 PM   #2
pander5
Special Forces - Discretion is superior
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe Sapphire Black

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Both of the cars pictured in you garage (nice!!!) have a clearcoat so you can immediately exclude the Z3 product - that's the Zaino polish for single stage paint i.e. non clearcoated. Now your left with either Z5 or Z2Pro. Z5 does a little better job of hiding micromarring than Z2 or Z2Pro. If you have some minor scratches that you can live with hands down I'd recommend Z5. Don't forget Z6 in your arsenal to lay down between polish layers and as a QD after each wash.

Z1 Polish Lock is used if you don't go with the ZFX. I exclusively use ZFX mainly because it lets you apply up to 3 coats within 24 hours. The ZFX is added to the polish before you start applying and acts as an accelerant or catalyst for quicker cure time. Z1, on the other hand, is thinly applied to the whole vehicle before you apply the polish. I've never used Z1 nor would I want to as it seems like your putting on 2 layers of something to get one layer of polish on. Plus the fact that ZFX makes it so easier. I've also read where others have used neither Z1 or ZFX and the Z works just fine for single layers - just takes longer to dry before buffing off.

My all time favorite is Z2Pro for both light AND dark colored cars. I've used both and have settled on the fact that I like the look of Z2Pro the best but that's personal preference. My eye is not discerning enough to detect the subtle nuances of both but I just like the look of Z2 Pro better. Sorry, that doesn't really help you much to decide between Z5 or Z2Pro.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2006, 08:57 PM   #3
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

I would advise you purchase Z2Pro. It is much newer technology than Z5 and looks great on dark colours. I never really found Z5 to do a good job of hiding swirls anyway.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2006, 11:45 AM   #4
kobechrome
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335xi

Garage List
Thanks - Z2Pro it is. I'll post pics when I'm done.